Jerry Jones on the defense

superpunk

Reaction score
This thread makes me want to drink.

More.

Edit: any chance you recorded that, theebs?

CowboyJeff

Reaction score
theebs;1356790 said:
jerry had alot of interesting things to say tonight on the cowboys year in review show.

basically in a nutshell sounded like he is going to be taking more control, talked about how dissapointed he was in the free agents they acquired and then how dissapointed he was in the draft, pertaining to who was drafted and how limited their playing time was.

From what I got out of listening to him, I took it this way, Jerry is going to be running the war room again, he is going to go grab spotlight guys in FA and jeff ireland and tom ciskowski should be very worried about their job.

i am very scared. I was getting comfortable with the idea of norv as hc and rivera as dc with garret and sporano running the show.

Now I am terrified, jerry is going to rule the roost again. Terrified actually.

also, I saw a shot of jerry stepping into the middle of the players after parcells gave the postgame speech in the locker room after beating indy and jerry was leading the cheer....that is odd, very odd.

Anyway, i hope jerry doesnt fall in love with the hood ornaments again and forget about the engine. I dont think I could ever take a joey galloway trade again.

Jerry disappointed with the draft? What warped alternate universe is he living in? I guess he loved the Shane Hannahs, Shante Carvers, and Dwayne Goodriches of the past. Jeez!!!

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy;1356802 said:
When the guy who has interview more than any other candidate is practically sitting right next to Jerry for an unrelated HOF announcement during the weekend, that's a good sign he's the next coach.

Oh no, that doesn't mean anything. It was just a handshake. :rolleyes:

I almost felt like that was a purposeful sales job on Jerry's part for the fans. Remember that great 90's team? Well here is the guy who controlled the offense.

There is no doubt in my mind that is EXACTLY what it was.

Unfortunately, there are too many who actually might buy what he is selling.

Alexander

Reaction score
CowboyJeff;1356805 said:
Jerry disappointed with the draft? What warped alternate universe is he living in? I guess he loved the Shane Hannahs, Shante Carvers, and Dwayne Goodriches of the past. Jeez!!!

That's what troubled me most about what Theebs posted.

Jones apparently didn't appreciate the playing time the draftees got.

Save Singleton playing more than Carpenter and that whole inside/outside mess, I have no earthly idea what he is talking about. That draft alone was better than several of the ones he and Lacewell orchestrated alone.

If he is out to string up Jeff Ireland and is entertaining any ideas of bring back Larry Lacewell, then this franchise has nowhere to go but down.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
theebs;1356790 said:
jerry had alot of interesting things to say tonight on the cowboys year in review show.

basically in a nutshell sounded like he is going to be taking more control, talked about how dissapointed he was in the free agents they acquired and then how dissapointed he was in the draft...

Yeah, Bill messed up, because we all remember the good old days when Jerry was the one calling the shots on free agents and draft picks. :banghead:

Hell, did we even ever have a successful free agent signing when Jerry was in charge? Ray Donaldson, got a few good years out of his old body. Rocket was a mild surprise, although his numbers was better because he was never meant to replace Michael Irvin, only compliment him.

What's even more depressing about this, Bill replaced every 90's figurehead that Jerry or the media was always talking about needing a replacement.

Next Charles Haley? Jerry blew a lot of high draft picks trying to find one. Bill did it on his first try with DeMarcus Ware.

Next Jay Novacek? Remember all the TEs Aikman worked out with? Remember the OJ Santiago trade? Doh! Yeah, Bill found Jason Witten pretty quickly, didn't he?

Next Troy Aikman? Bill brings in Tony Romo and slowly trains him while Jerry blew all that those picks and money on Hutchinson, Quincy, Banks, Stoerner, and more. I can guarantee you Romo is the type of player who will never again pop up with Jones in charge. We used to let undrafted rookie free agents play out of desperation, not because of untapped talent, much less find a possible franchise guy.

Alexander

Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy;1356813 said:
Yeah, Bill messed up, because we all remember the good old days when Jerry was the one calling the shots on free agents and draft picks. :banghead:

Hell, did we even ever have a successful free agent signing when Jerry was in charge? Ray Donaldson, got a few good years out of his old body. Rocket was a mild surprise, although his numbers was better because he was never meant to replace Michael Irvin, only compliment him.

What's even more depressing about this, Bill replaced every 90's figurehead that Jerry or the media was always talking about needing a replacement.

Next Charles Haley? Jerry blew a lot of high draft picks trying to find one. Bill did it on his first try with DeMarcus Ware.

Next Jay Novacek? Remember all the TEs Aikman worked out with? Remember the OJ Santiago trade? Doh! Yeah, Bill found Jason Witten pretty quickly, didn't he?

Next Troy Aikman? Bill brings in Tony Romo and slowly trains him while Jerry blew all that those picks and money on Hutchinson, Quincy, Banks, Stoerner, and more. I can guarantee you Romo is the type of player who will never again pop up with Jones in charge. We used to let undrafted rookie free agents play out of desperation, not because of untapped talent, much less find a possible franchise guy.

Sometimes you get what you ask for.

Many wanted Coach Parcells gone. Some at any cost.

Well, they received their wish.

I don't want to hear a single complaint out of any of them as many are the same fools who are completely puzzled why some do not realize Turner isn't a great choice for this team.

All the complaints about mediocrity during the Parcells era will be dwarfed by what we might receive with Jerry Jones spearheading the direction of the franchise again.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
If jerry takes half as much control as he used to then its going to be a mess. If norv is the head coach and dallas doesn't have a good DC, things will go down hill in a hurry.

I was never a fan of norv under any circumstance and the Rivera news made the hiring of norv bearable at best. Im still holding out hope that rivera gets the job but its looking less likely.

Maybe after Norv comes in and does what he does.....maybe then Jerry will get a ****ing clue.

superpunk

Reaction score
Alexander;1356816 said:
I don't want to hear a single complaint out of any of them as many are the same fools who are completely puzzled why some do not realize Turner isn't a great choice for this team.

Some comedians would joke during the 2004 presidential elections that Bush was so bad - that just being "Not Bush" should be enough to win. Apparently, Kerry was so bad that being "Not Bush" didn't cut it.

That's like now - being "Not Bill" is a good enough qualification for many. So long as he's not here. The bad part is, Norv is so bad that no amount of stories about Troy and Michael instead of Lawrence and Harry will cut it.

Just not Norv. :pray2:

Alexander

Reaction score
Thehoofbite;1356818 said:
Maybe after Norv comes in and does what he does.....maybe then Jerry will get a ****ing clue.

I do not believe he will. If Norv fails, and he probably will, he will try another avenue and strip his gears again when that fails.

He did not get a clue after Gailey. He hired a puppet. He did not take the lessons he should have learned from Coach Parcells and try to improve upon them.

He will get what he wants in the end. And it will be exactly what he has always wanted.

Complete and total control, plus the accolades that come with it.

The bad thing is that as an owner, he needs to understand he cannot have it all.

He really needs to quit emulating Al Davis. He really does.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
superpunk;1356804 said:
This thread makes me want to drink.

More.

Edit: any chance you recorded that, theebs?

No i didnt get a chance to, but it maybe on again in the morning in the time slot of cowboys huddle I will check. If it is I will put it up.

Alexander

Reaction score
superpunk;1356822 said:
Some comedians would joke during the 2004 presidential elections that Bush was so bad - that just being "Not Bush" should be enough to win. Apparently, Kerry was so bad that being "Not Bush" didn't cut it.

That's like now - being "Not Bill" is a good enough qualification for many. So long as he's not here. The bad part is, Norv is so bad that no amount of stories about Troy and Michael instead of Lawrence and Harry will cut it.

Just not Norv. :pray2:

And this is the state of the Dallas Cowboys.

Alexander

Reaction score
theebs;1356824 said:
No i didnt get a chance to, but it maybe on again in the morning in the time slot of cowboys huddle I will check. If it is I will put it up.

Please do, Theebs.

This is a splash of mondo reality that I believe is very much needed.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
theebs;1356790 said:

basically in a nutshell sounded like he is going to be taking more control, talked about how dissapointed he was in the free agents they acquired and then how dissapointed he was in the draft, pertaining to who was drafted and how limited their playing time was.

From what I got out of listening to him, I took it this way, Jerry is going to be running the war room again, he is going to go grab spotlight guys in FA and jeff ireland and tom ciskowski should be very worried about their job.

i am very scared. I was getting comfortable with the idea of norv as hc and rivera as dc with garret and sporano running the show.

also, I saw a shot of jerry stepping into the middle of the players after parcells gave the postgame speech in the locker room after beating indy and jerry was leading the cheer....that is odd, very odd.

Anyway, i hope jerry doesnt fall in love with the hood ornaments again and forget about the engine. I dont think I could ever take a joey galloway trade again.

I think I am going to be sick...........:puke:

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Alexander;1356707 said:
"You end up getting the same thing in the 3-4 that you get in the 4-3 at times," Jones said. "I can give you a good case why some of our personnel is better suited for the 4-3 right now."

Thanks for playing Phillups, we have some nice parting gifts for you.

If you have any additional questions, please contact freaking Werder.

:laugh2:

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
i really, really, really, reallly hope you misread jerruh's comments. i guess we'll see soon enough when he names a HC.

this would be horrifying.

theebs;1356790 said:

Deputy493

Reaction score
Alexander;1356707 said:
"You end up getting the same thing in the 3-4 that you get in the 4-3 at times," Jones said. "I can give you a good case why some of our personnel is better suited for the 4-3 right now."

I was glad to see Jerry said this, meaning he does not view us as married to any scheme. If the coaching staff he thinks is best runs a 3-4 let's run it, if he hires a 4-3 guy let's run it.......we should not be married to any scheme.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Alexander;1356707 said:

Do it Jerry. You only had LESS sacks in the 4-3 under Zimmer than you did in the 3-4 under Zimmer and when you went to the 4-3, you got torched by the Detroit Lions.

It's not the scheme, it's the lousy coaching and Bradie James.

YAKUZA

Alexander

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;1357146 said:
Do it Jerry. You only had LESS sacks in the 4-3 under Zimmer than you did in the 3-4 under Zimmer and when you went to the 4-3, you got torched by the Detroit Lions.

It's not the scheme, it's the lousy coaching and Bradie James.

YAKUZA

My question is if Bradie James is a problem (and I agree by the way), then how would going to the 4-3 help? You need a solid middle linebacker to make that work well. I don't think we have that.

We need to evaluate the players and then worry about the scheme.