Jerry Jones reportedly hires lawyer to block Goodell's extension

hornitosmonster

Reaction score
I think some owners are becoming wise to the fact that real NFL football could be over for some time at the next CBA (if Roger remains the commissioner). Even if it is not the main reason, firing/not renewing Roger would be extending an olive branch to the players. The Roger and union bridge is burned beyond repair. Buckle up people, I'm not watching scab games and will hold out along with the players.

hornitosmonster

Reaction score
The more I think about this situation the more I'm not sure that any of us know what's really going on with this. Here's another theory:

Jerry has little chance of winning a lawsuit against the other owners after already voting to give this committee the authority he is now supposedly seeking to strip. The vote on whether or not to extend Goodell has already taken place (in May) and the owners unanimously approved a resolution giving this committee the authority to negotiate the extension. There is no chance that changes without near unanimous support from the other owners, which isn't coming. Instead, master showman Jerry is going to create a circus where he can be in the center ring.

I don't think this is about Zeke as much as it is about the issue that shan't be discussed here. Jerry has repeatedly been on one side of that issue and he's seeing the ramifications of the issue bear fruit. This lawsuit is basically Jerry loudly and publicly aligning opposite of the league. He's told his team how he expects them to handle the situation. Now he's pandering to his base - to take a political term - with this lawsuit, distancing himself from the issue that is driving away viewers and unnerving advertisers. With his players he gains credibility because he's "fighting the man" and with the fans and advertisers he can say that it's us (the Cowboys) vs. the league on the "other" issue.

Jerry Jones, master marketer, strikes again.

Job performance and more importantly revenue has changed since then. So you are saying X company is doing great but over the course a year the company has trended toward failure but the CEO should be without worry? That is not the way things work, someone can absolutely 100% be fired even after a vote of confidence. Yes, it would take more than just Jerry to fire Roger but that is what this is all about. Jerry get the followers in line.

Word is coming out today that the contract will indeed be incentives based and that Roger is furious about it. So Jerry is already winning with that news. Google news for reference

CCBoy

Reaction score
Jerry has officially been labeled the black sheep of the NFL...and his players now pay the price for not being a Mara.

I don't have faith that Jerry will make a difference, where arbitration replaces worker rights. No one then protects principal or people involved.

NorthDalal

Reaction score
I don’t know any diehard Cowboy fans who don’t despise how Jerry runs football operations for our beloved franchise. And I know hundreds if not thousands over 50+ years of being a fan .

IMO if you support Jerry your not supporting what is in the best interest of Dallas Cowboys football.

You are an unbelievable troll with nothing better to do than post 10 times a day."Cowboy fan since 1989" how impressive...not.Having lived through Staubach/Morton,Tex Schram's 1986 three yr.plan for Landry and Bum Bright,You do not have standing with me...I certainly don't despise how the most profitable and valuable franchise in all sports is run by Jerry and the Jones family and I look forward to Jerry deposing Roger Goodell and disappointing fake fans like you.

Shinaoi

Reaction score
Whoa, that's quite possible but let's not bring up stuff we don't wanna hear, OK? :omg::grin:

I’m just not as optimistic as a lot of people here. If jerry is so tough then I wish he would do something about the refs and every playoff game we lose over some fluke call. The time we went over cap. Zeke getting suspended. The patriots got beat by the nfl too. Exactly who has ever won against the nfl even a single time lol

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I’m just not as optimistic as a lot of people here. If jerry is so tough then I wish he would do something about the refs and every playoff game we lose over some fluke call. The time we went over cap. Zeke getting suspended. The patriots got beat by the nfl too. Exactly who has ever won against the nfl even a single time lol

Understand that my comment was made in lighthearted jest and not intended as a personal affront. Nobody likes the situation our team is in right now and I'm no different. I can't honestly say I'm optimistic at this point, either. Jerry might sue the NFL but it's anyone's guess how that might turn out with the majority of owners not appearing to commit to Elliott's cause. Taking on the league and the majority of the its owners is a major chore. Even if Jerry were to win, the backlash could easily be daunting in view of its long term aftermath.

The specter of Zeke missing the next six games is a tough pill to swallow, in and of itself. I can easily see the remainder of the season with this potential lawsuit being a possible distraction. I'm sure the players will rally to try and save the season but It'll surely be a difficult task to handle.

Last edited:

erod

Reaction score
Jerry is suing the owners in the compensation committee, led by Atlanta owner Arthur Blank.

This should be interesting conversation on the field Sunday between the two Sunday.

Lol

canters

Reaction score
For better or worse, JJ is taking a stand on this issue. I hope he is not 1 man against 31 here. If so, what realistically can he do, other than be a pariah. Hopefully he knows what he hs doing.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
I think some owners are becoming wise to the fact that real NFL football could be over for some time at the next CBA (if Roger remains the commissioner). Even if it is not the main reason, firing/not renewing Roger would be extending an olive branch to the players. The Roger and union bridge is burned beyond repair. Buckle up people, I'm not watching scab games and will hold out along with the players.

JJ does have some leverage in his argument to oust Goody, if the perception is that the players will not want to continue in a league that can arbitrarily hand down judgements and ruin anyone's reputation, a la Zeke.

The next CBA negotiation is likely to be a mess and may cause irreparable damage, unless the players become confident in fair treatment and respect. Their apprehension and distrust could turn to optimism if Goody is replaced by a more reputable football guy. Surely the majority of owners can't be blind to this dilemma.

Or Cuban may be right.