Twitter: Jerry Jones says Cowboys want young QBs to develop

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t know what to think about Rush. If everybody would be honest with themselves, nobody can say anything about him, positive or negative. Garrett did not do Rush any favors by not letting him play a single snap in any regular season game. Rush is a constant source of complaints around here, but there is no evidence to judge him on. I hope that he has some talent considering the years that he has been on the roster.

The Rush fans LOL are the usual Dak loving suspects.
Dude hasn't been given 1 snap in the regular season and he's worthless.
Go figure???

jnday

Reaction score
This is something I can agree with you on. We know Rush doesn't have big time physical traits, but if he can be smart and make good decisions he can be a quality backup. Like you said, we just don't have enough information to judge that at this point.
You would be surprised. I agree with a lot of posters that disagree with me on one subject. I gave one of those guys a “like” a couple weeks ago and he thought I was trolling. lol That is what makes this board interesting. You can be arguing against a guy in one thread and it seems like you would come to blows with him if possible and in the next thread, you join sides with him and are arguing on the same side of a topic.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
One thing I'm sure McCarthy learned at Green Bay (was before his time, more of a Ron Wolf/Ted Thompson thing), was to draft a developmental QB to back-up your main guy and then trade him if your main guy stays effective. It doesn't mean you are going to hit on every single one of them, but they hit on more than they missed.

Brett Favre (time in Green Bay 1992-2007)
1992 9th round Ty Detmer - 54 games, 25 starts in NFL career
1993 5th round Mark Brunell - 193 games, 151 starts (traded to Jacksonville for 3rd & 5th round picks)
1996 7th round Kyle Wacholtz
1997 7th round Ron McAda
1998 6th round Matt Hasselbeck - 209 games, 160 starts (traded to Seattle to move up in the 1st round)
1999 4th round Aaron Brooks - 93 games, 90 starts (traded to New Orleans with another player for a 3rd round pick)
2002 5th round Craig Nall

2005 1st round Aaron Rodgers
2008 2nd round Brian Brohm
2008 7th round Matt Flynn - 53 games, 7 starts (left Green Bay to sign big free agent deal with Seattle)
2012 7th round B.J. Coleman
2015 5th round Brett Hundley - 18 games, 9 starts (traded to Seattle for a 6th round pick)

In that same period (1992 to now). the Cowboys have drafted the following QBs:
2001 2nd round Quincy Carter - cut
2009 4th round Stephen McGee - cut
2016 4th round Dak Prescott - Thank God
2018 5th round Mike White - cut

Last edited:

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
McCarty's ability to develop quarterbacks? When did this happen?

He inherited a Hall of Famer and perennial record breaker in Favre to be his starter.

The backup, Roders, was the previous year's 1st round pick just finished with his rookie season.

What did he ever have to develop when it came to the quarterback position?

Favre was a freakin' ironman, he rarely didnt play. The same goes for Rodgers who started every game, except the last game of a season when they had clinched the playoffs, in 11 of 13 seasons as a starter.

In 2017 Rodgers was out 9 games and replaced by Brett Hundley, their 2nd year 5th round draft choice and he was terrible.

That's McCarty's complete resume as a QB guru. His tenure coincided with the presense of two future Hall of Fame QB's that were already there, already regarded as the team's strength.

Mike McCarty is Wade Phillips Part II.

His reputation as a "QB whisperer" is a bit of an untruth.

He was the Chiefs QB coach from 1995-1998, where they kept starting Steve Bono and Elvis Grbac over future league MVP Rich Gannon.
Green Bay QB coach in 1999 where he inherited Favre.
New Orleans OC from 2000 to 2004 where he probably was behind trading for Aaron Brooks from Green Bay
San Francisco OC in 2005 with Alex Smith, Tim Rattay, and Ken Dorsey as starters
Green Bay HC in 2006 where he inherited Favre again, and Aaron Rodgers was a 1st round pick a year before he got there.

MCMetal69

Reaction score
In the later rounds I like Cole McDonald.

I like his brother Ronald...................
ronald_mcdonald_high_resolution.jpg

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I am sorry it hurts so much, but facing your Romo problem is the first step and will help you get over it. Thanks for sharing that and glad I could help with your problem.
Romo doesn't bother me, but it's obvious anyone being critical of anything Romo's past bothers you.

InTheZone

Reaction score
the organization will say everything positive about everyone on the team, only the decisions after dictate what they meant.

Brax

Reaction score
Romo doesn't bother me, but it's obvious anyone being critical of anything Romo's past bothers you.
I am more critical of him than most, just do not get constant referring to him to somehow deflect from what Dak is, guy doesn't play anymore, took the DC nowhere, Romo has no relevance today except as a broadcaster.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The most successful teams are the ones that draft QBs regularly as a matter of policy. The advantages of having them available to either use or trade speaks for itself. I'm in favor of the Cowboys adopting such a policy, starting whenever it's wisely possible.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I am more critical of him than most, just do not get constant referring to him to somehow deflect from what Dak is, guy doesn't play anymore, took the DC nowhere, Romo has no relevance today except as a broadcaster.
Who are you to dictate who can talk about Romo or how many times? Anyone has any right to bring Romo up since he was a big part of recent Cowboys history. If you can't handle that, tough cookies. Either ignore the comment or put someone on ignore.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
One thing I'm sure McCarthy learned at Green Bay (was before his time, more of a Ron Wolf/Ted Thompson thing), was to draft a developmental QB to back-up your main guy and then trade him if your main guy stays effective. It doesn't mean you are going to hit on every single one of them, but they hit on more than they missed.

Brett Favre (time in Green Bay 1992-2007)
1992 9th round Ty Detmer - 54 games, 25 starts in NFL career
1993 5th round Mark Brunell - 193 games, 151 starts (traded to Jacksonville for 3rd & 5th round picks)
1996 7th round Kyle Wacholtz
1997 7th round Ron McAda
1998 6th round Matt Hasselbeck - 209 games, 160 starts (traded to Seattle to move up in the 1st round)
1999 4th round Aaron Brooks - 93 games, 90 starts (traded to New Orleans with another player for a 3rd round pick)
2002 5th round Craig Nall

2005 1st round Aaron Rodgers
2008 2nd round Brian Brohm
2008 7th round Matt Flynn - 53 games, 7 starts (left Green Bay to sign big free agent deal with Seattle)
2012 7th round B.J. Coleman
2015 5th round Brett Hundley - 18 games, 9 starts (traded to Seattle for a 6th round pick)

In that same period (1992 to now). the Cowboys have drafted the following QBs:
2001 2nd round Quincy Carter - cut
2009 4th round Stephen McGee - cut
2016 4th round Dak Prescott - Thank God
2018 5th round Mike White - cut

:laugh:

The stark reality of this post is actually funny.

Brax

Reaction score
Who are you to dictate who can talk about Romo or how many times? Anyone has any right to bring Romo up since he was a big part of recent Cowboys history. If you can't handle that, tough cookies. Either ignore the comment or put someone on ignore.
Little anger issue now, hit a nerve, maybe you can post another Dak love post to feel better.

morasp

Reaction score
Nate Stanley Iowas would be a day 3 pick. Has a good arm but needs work on the mental side.
Overview
Big guy with a good arm who throws with nice touch to intermediate and deep windows, but failed to convince that he could manage games and play with an NFL level of consistency while at Iowa. The physical tools and traits are appealing and potentially moldable, but he may need plus talent to elevate his play rather than the other way around. Stanley has moments where he is comfortable in a pro-style attack, but struggles to find a rhythm in the short passing game. His indecisiveness and lack of mobility could make him a sitting duck against NFL defenses and might limit him to backup status.