Twitter: Jerry Jones says Cowboys want young QBs to develop

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I wanted a QB drafted every year or at least every other year since Aikman retired. It never hurts to have several developing QBs in the roster.

If you do that how does a QB have the time to develop? I'm all for getting a QB in here to develop but that position tends to take a bit more time to develop especially since the majority of the work they get is pre season and practice.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I been telling everyone here to expect us to go after a QB somewhere after round 2. This is how MM operates. Has nothing to do with Dak. IT DOES HAVE TO DO WITH MAKING THE QB ROOM BETTER IN THE LONG RUN. Cooper Rush is on notice officially. I think if Jalen Hurts is there in round 3, he will be a cowboy. Another name to watch for is Jake Fromm.

Rayman70

Reaction score
What is your obsession with McCarthy? You've posted several times all these things that MM believes or MM does with no real evidence of him actually doing the things you're claiming.
obession? Ok bub. Whatever floats your boat. Sorry if me talkin about our new coach that has a winning pedigree upsets you. But the facts are, I am excited that we FINALLY have a competent HC running the team that has a plan . This is a fan site. Do you know that?

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
obession? Ok bub. Whatever floats your boat. Sorry if me talkin about our new coach that has a winning pedigree upsets you. But the facts are, I am excited that we FINALLY have a competent HC running the team that has a plan . This is a fan site. Do you know that?
Sure.

Please tell me exactly why you're such a fan of McCarthy.

Rayman70

Reaction score
There's as many reported stories out there that say they don't respect him. Aaron Rodgers can't stand him. Damarious Randall can't stand him. There's the whole "massage" story.

He's a better coach than Garrett but that's an awfully low bar.
hey..we can't hold it against ole Mike for wanting a pull and a tug before game time can we? lol...but seriously...I don't care what he does . I want a proven winner as my HC and as of now...we have that. Does that mean we will win a SB? NOPE. But I am a die hard fan of the boys going on 40 plus years. I support whatever his plan ends up being. There is real excitement and anticipation heading into the draft around here for the first time in a very long time. No one really knows what the 18 other teams ahead of Dallas will do and then there's the curve ball of it being a virtual draft..so many story lines and things can get nutty Thursday. That's what I am looking forward to. I'm on the MM train, for better or worse.

SSoup

Reaction score
Holmgren was really good at that in GB

Did GB get anything for Flynn? Or did he leave as a FA?
I think that was more about the Packers' front office buying into the strategy as opposed to it being Holmgren solely.

Mark Brunell was developed and traded on Holmgren's watch, if I recall right. Hasselbeck was added to the team during the Holmgren era but his development and trading him happened on the next guy's watch. And of course Aaron Brooks was the next guy they drafted, developed, and traded for profit, and Holmgren was long gone by the time that one happened. There are probably more that I'm forgetting but those are the big ones.

Green Bay just had a philosophy of not simply picking a generic backup to their star QB and then putting the QB depth chart on cruise control. They kept hustling and grinding to find more good young passers. And they actually wanted to work with them and develop them, as opposed to just wanting to fill out the backup QB spots with journeymen vets who were already old vets without much need for coaching up.

quickccc

Reaction score

and Morgan is one of those i tend to think we will target with one of the 5th round picks. .. big arm durable pocket passer who needs major mechanic work,

as dak is so durable, maybe a morgan won't have much chance to play come regular season, but like matt hasselbeck with seattle he could chance more
to gain his best game experience in shortened preseason, but you just never know when that moment will come
- ala if Dak's shoulder vs Rams could have been much worse ... or if Dak gets a game leaving concussion. ..outcome could decide playoffs or not.

sorry i'm one that relishes a quality backup than looking for a future trade pick. otherwise we'll need to go back to the matt cassell, brandon weeden type average vet backups.

DuncanIso

Reaction score

the playmaker

Reaction score
This was not done in the Romo years until they drafted Dak. We know how that turned out to be the best thing that happen in the last 10 years. They move from a old injury prone big mistake prone QB to a young stud that they just gave a franchise tag. What if Jerry The Dumbo GM Jones would have done that with Aaron Rodgers when he fell down the board.

Now that Jerry does not have his country club QB he wants to go back to the Tom Landry and Jimmy Johnson days of competition and grooming at the QB position. Just like Staubach and Aikman did not worry, Dak is not worried. Its makes good sense for roster building, depth, and trade value.

Better late than never Jerry!
Ain't gonna happen!!!!!!!!! JJ like his "puppets": DLaw(20m)...JSmith(12m?)...Zeke.
No competition for DLaw?....overpaid....no competition JSmith?....overpaid
to be continue

cowboygo

Reaction score
I hope we trade down to get an extra pick, to be flexible in selecting a QB. I don't mind Hurts in the 3rd, serves as insurance in case of an injury to Dak for the next 4 years. Both contracts would be up at the same time though, assuming Dak gets his desired 4-year contract.

Eastex

Reaction score
This would be a very smart move drafting a quarterback in mid to late rounds. What happens if Dak gets hurt and we have a great season in process? Rush hasn't shown that he can come in and keep winning. A guy like Hurt or Morgan would be a wise investment for future play or trade bait for someone in dire needs.