Video: Jerry Jones will fire Dak Prescott if he has to pay Mahomes money

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nor is it won by the team with the most expensive QB like Dak wants to be.

And Mahomes became expensive only in 2 years once his rookie deal is over.

So what is the point? Just trying to understand.
I don't recall Dak ever asking for Mahomes money. There is really no certainty he ever asked for Wilson money. Ultimately the question for a team isn't where the pay fits within somebody's idea of a QB ranking - pay is not and cannot be based on a QB ranking - it's if they believe the QB they are targeting can help the team win, and if they feel they can afford the price it will take.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
This assumes the open routes in the passing game wasn't there. I don't know what specific game that's being discussed here so I can't speak to what that looked like but if the running game isn't working, then the passing game has to come through and that's on the QB and receivers, just as much, if not more, then it is Moore. I've seen very few games that we didn't have WRs open. We are too good at that position these days.

every game will have missed throw's and dropped passes no matter what, looking back it was when they happened, again it may just be i remember the agony more but they seem to happen pretty regular when we needed a play.....that speaks of focus to me and I do think Coaching can help that.

Proof

Reaction score
I will be drop dead surprised he gets a 2nd tag which then locks in a 3rd tag at like $45mil or something like that.

The crashing cap is going to force the adjustment Dak will not volunteerily make.

Things have a nasty habit of taking unexpected turns these days.

What does what the third tag have to do with whether he’d get a second tag

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Bad time to extort during a pandemic,, Mahomes deal was the perfect storm.
Man succeeded and got a ring, got 500m, and still allowed KC to sign several other team mates like Chris Jones, with team friendly term and structure.
That is one well run organization in KC.

It's interesting. Mahomes is now part owner of the KC Royals, I saw. I wonder how he will handle contract demands with players, now that he is in ownership, assuming he has a say in that process.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Dak would never sign a 10 year deal.

Nor would we wish to do that.

He is already going into his 5th yr. now.

15 years of Dak?

Why would we do that?
Who knows bro. If he improves and gets you and me a ring then I will sign him for 5-7. Don’t mean we can’t get out of it early.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
It's interesting. Mahomes is now part owner of the KC Royals, I saw. I wonder how he will handle contract demands with players, now that he is in ownership, assuming he has a say in that process.
Very interesting, and thanks for that, I wasnt aware.
Homie might just be pretty cutting edge and creative,, if I were to speculate.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I think when you look at super long contract (there are not many for sure) you have to read all the clauses for opt out and restructures that they come with, so on the service 10 years but in reality its probably getting re evaluated much much sooner.

You're right, on Mahomes contract starting in 2021 the chiefs start to pick up 2 years at a time by keeping him on the roster after the 3rd day of the league year. If they pick up his 2021 season they also are guaranteeing his 2022 season too, and so on and so on.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
every game will have missed throw's and dropped passes no matter what, looking back it was when they happened, again it may just be i remember the agony more but they seem to happen pretty regular when we needed a play.....that speaks of focus to me and I do think Coaching can help that.

Well, that's true but I think that this is truly where analytics play an important role. I can't say 100% but if I were to guess, I'd say that if we reviewed the games where Zeke was unable to run effectively, I'd bet that it feel on the passing game and more specifically, the passing game in the Redzone. I'd bet it was not route design but instead, execution. The primary reason I don't lay this on Moore is because of the teams trend for the past 3 to 4 seasons in the Redzone. It's been a pretty steady decline, in this area, for several seasons now and that pre-dates Moore. I think it's something else myself but who knows?

I'm fairly certain that this is why McCarthy was brought in. I'd also guess that McCarthy saw this as well and that's probably why he elected to keep Moore on. If Moore was just bad, I don't think he gets a job under the new management. That's just me kinda spit balling thou.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Very interesting, and thanks for that, I wasnt aware.
Homie might just be pretty cutting edge and creative,, if I were to speculate.

Kids not dumb. I don't get that from him at all. That's for sure.

Flamma

Reaction score
So, Flacco and Eli were Mahomes level QBs? Your logic is severely flawed. The Super Bowl isn’t always won by the team with the NFLs best QB.

Yet they continue to pay them. General managers are hired help. Maybe they don't want to risk their jobs by not paying the QB?

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Yet they continue to pay them. General managers are hired help. Maybe they don't want to risk their jobs by not paying the QB?
Exactly, and dont think for a minute that MM wont be going over that scenario in the back of his mind, esp during this screwed season.
MM will be getting as many reps out of all his QBs as much as possible, and how do you do that with no preseason.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Well, that's true but I think that this is truly where analytics play an important role. I can't say 100% but if I were to guess, I'd say that if we reviewed the games where Zeke was unable to run effectively, I'd bet that it feel on the passing game and more specifically, the passing game in the Redzone. I'd bet it was not route design but instead, execution. The primary reason I don't lay this on Moore is because of the teams trend for the past 3 to 4 seasons in the Redzone. It's been a pretty steady decline, in this area, for several seasons now and that pre-dates Moore. I think it's something else myself but who knows?

I'm fairly certain that this is why McCarthy was brought in. I'd also guess that McCarthy saw this as well and that's probably why he elected to keep Moore on. If Moore was just bad, I don't think he gets a job under the new management. That's just me kinda spit balling thou.

I do agree on Moore, I also see the penalties that continued to happen and such as a focus problem, again maybe all teams are doing it the same amount but man it sure seems like we do it in horrible spots 50% of the time. So play call may be predictable and need tweaking ( I mean how many ways can you run so many routes) But for the love of GOD someone take responsibility for this teams lack of focus (execution). I believe new coaching blood can help fix that.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I do agree on Moore, I also see the penalties that continued to happen and such as a focus problem, again maybe all teams are doing it the same amount but man it sure seems like we do it in horrible spots 50% of the time. So play call may be predictable and need tweaking ( I mean how many ways can you run so many routes) But for the love of GOD someone take responsibility for this teams lack of focus (execution). I believe new coaching blood can help fix that.

No, I would almost bet that you have a point here. Penalties are a problem for sure but, this is the down side of hiring a kid to be your OC. That's a hard call there. Lets say that the problem is Dak, not saying it is but lets say for the sake of discussion that it is, does a first year OC have the sand to bench a Dak? That's the real issue there, to me.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
No, I would almost bet that you have a point here. Penalties are a problem for sure but, this is the down side of hiring a kid to be your OC. That's a hard call there. Lets say that the problem is Dak, not saying it is but lets say for the sake of discussion that it is, does a first year OC have the sand to bench a Dak? That's the real issue there, to me.

Correct, I'm on board with the coaches taking the responsibility and holding the players to it... i just don't think we have seen that here since Parcells.

Flamma

Reaction score
Exactly, and dont think for a minute that MM wont be going over that scenario in the back of his mind, esp during this screwed season.
MM will be getting as many reps out of all his QBs as much as possible, and how do you do that with no preseason.

I'll be curious to see how offenses start out this season. My guess is the good defense will dominate early on.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I doubt even a veteran OC has the ability to bench a high dollar starting QB without the head coach giving it the okay. I suspect it's likely that even on the rare occasion that happens it often is the head coach that dictates it.

khiladi

Reaction score
I find it EXTREMELY funny that you chose an article written back in October last year by a Philadelphia sportswriter about the QB of his teams biggest enemy who never spoke directly to Prescott at any time. Just a great source. lol

Dak is quoted directly, so in case you are accusing the author of lying, than I don’t see why I shouldn’t believe the Eagles writer who is actually interpreting this as a sign of leadership of Dak, while criticizing Wentz.

khiladi

Reaction score

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I'll be curious to see how offenses start out this season. My guess is the good defense will dominate early on.
Teams like NO with tenured staffs that have been in place and system in place will have the biggest advantage this season, at least early on.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Correct, I'm on board with the coaches taking the responsibility and holding the players to it... i just don't think we have seen that here since Parcells.

I'd have to agree. I was never a fan of hiring Garrett as our OC or HC when we did. Now, this is not to say that I didn't like Garrett because I thought Garrett had some talent but I'm not a believer in hiring somebody who hasn't put in the time to learn how to Coach. Being smart or knowing and understanding Xs and Os is not enough. There's more to it then that.