Video: Jerry Jones will fire Dak Prescott if he has to pay Mahomes money

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
That was before Mahomes signed....nobody knows how its effected the acceptable range.

If I were France he's surely going to be advising that $35m is now outdated and low.

If @Diehardblues $40m for Watson and Jackson is anywhere true, Dak will demand similar.
We don’t know what’s going to happen with the. Especially with revenue not being what it was. I shouldn’t even be disgusted

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I’m not blaming it all on Jones but partially. I believe he made a huge error drafting a RB with the 4th overall pick, paying that RB with 2 years left on his contract after he acted like a baby diva and paying him as much as he did. That has nothing to do with my personal feeling of said baby diva, the only RB I think is worth that kind of money is CM.

I laughed at the Gnats and was thankful they used the #2 overall pick on a RB and will be laughing if/when they pay Barkley and think Barkley is a stud and a great guy. This is a passing league now, not the early 90’s, plus RB’s can be found much later in the draft.

I also wasn’t a fan of letting Jones walk. I would have rather seen him to do zeke what he’s did to Dak and spend that money on defense.

And he will most likely cost more next year if he has a good year. If anything he’ll probably be demanding what he already did this year and Jerry will have to pay him that, which he obviously didn’t do, franchise him again which will cost more or let him walk which is a big gamble.

Totally agree on RB and Coop (who he should of signed at the time of trade rather than leave it until he was indispensable), and any agent will push Jones until he capitulates.....what a time to grow a pair.

As I keep saying (and signature supports), I want Dak long term but can also see the potential issues of CAP resources in the short term (even after restructuring).

I think MM doesnt want his hands tied, he wants at least some CAP money to spend....signing Dak short term doesnt allow the Jones to give a contract like DLaw, Coops, Zeke, which has upfront bonuses, but flexibility at the latter end.

Just an negotiation breakdown - no give and take, both sides to blame.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
We don’t know what’s going to happen with the. Especially with revenue not being what it was. I shouldn’t even be disgusted

Yep, dont know whats going to happen throughout the league. The situation may be that we cant afford a second tag and other teams prefer to race to the bottom to get the check talent of Lawrence and Field and as a result Dak has to accept a below expectation offer from a team like the Colts ??

Nobody knows.

blueblood70

Reaction score
And you can disagree all you want but Dak led the #1 offense despite Zeke being a no show vs the good teams.
i believe the Tampa was the #1 offense with Winston..now how do you feel about stats? both teams didnt make the playoffs? how that be?

Jipper

Reaction score
Do you think Jerry and the Cowboys think Dak is only a top 15 QB?

Because what they believe is the only ones who matter.

honestly I think they see him for what he has shown ... a good qb that can be very good and be bad but hasn’t gotten to the point where his play can help take the team to the next level.

we need him to play more like the guy that willed us to beat Seattle in the playoffs instead of the guy that blew it against philly in week 16 last year.

I really hope he becomes that guy this year bc if he just plays good and jerry over pays for him it’s going to be another 5 years of 8-8 mixed with a couple of 1st round playoff exits

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
No sense in saying what we are fine doing until we see those results.

Personal opinion....nothing wrong with exploring what the options are, rather than the "we're doomed" brigade that see the Dak situation as being the end of the world.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
honestly I think they see him for what he has shown ... a good qb that can be very good and be bad but hasn’t gotten to the point where his play can help take the team to the next level.

we need him to play more like the guy that willed us to beat Seattle in the playoffs instead of the guy that blew it against philly in week 16 last year.

I really hope he becomes that guy this year bc if he just plays good and jerry over pays for him it’s going to be another 5 years of 8-8 mixed with a couple of 1st round playoff exits
If they were prepared to pay him 33-35 million they see him for more than that.

Jipper

Reaction score
If they were prepared to pay him 33-35 million they see him for more than that.

33 to 35 over a 5 year deal would have a
Been a fair value for him and within two years his salary as a percentage of the salary cap would have been exactly where they wanted....problem is dak didn’t want to go for a 5 year vs. a 4 year.

who knows what’s gonna happen here...just have to hope he plays like an elite qb for a whole season and we see some playoff success...then everyone will be fine with paying him big bucks and we can stop having 15 new threads a day about him

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Do we know he even asked to be paid more than Wilson? Seems most reports indicated he was fine with a range somewhere in the range of Wentz/Gooff to Wilson, but didn’t want to do 5 years.
No, we don’t know for certain. I think the 4 years was a bigger issue.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yep, dont know whats going to happen throughout the league. The situation may be that we cant afford a second tag and other teams prefer to race to the bottom to get the check talent of Lawrence and Field and as a result Dak has to accept a below expectation offer from a team like the Colts ??

Nobody knows.
I don’t think it so much we can afford The tag. Again it comes down to we don’t know what’s going to be. Salary cap is never been an issue with this franchise just the fans

Diehardblues

Reaction score
33 to 35 over a 5 year deal would have a
Been a fair value for him and within two years his salary as a percentage of the salary cap would have been exactly where they wanted....problem is dak didn’t want to go for a 5 year vs. a 4 year.

who knows what’s gonna happen here...just have to hope he plays like an elite qb for a whole season and we see some playoff success...then everyone will be fine with paying him big bucks and we can stop having 15 new threads a day about him
I understand but it’s poor evaluation process on our part if we are relying on team success to validate paying our QB. It comes off like we need public perception to support.

There’s no guarantees the team or the QB is enough to go to a championship. After 4 years you have to make a leap of faith based on what we’ve seen. And live with it.

If that’s not enough then you have to move on but you must be prepared for the effects and impact until you find another QB.

This is where we are weak as an organization without more expertise and accountability in our GM and VP evaluating our talent properly making contract decisions accordingly.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That was before Mahomes signed....nobody knows how its effected the acceptable range.

If I were France he's surely going to be advising that $35m is now outdated and low.

If @Diehardblues $40m for Watson and Jackson is anywhere true, Dak will demand similar.
True, it was before Mahomes signed, but it is also true, as you said, we don't know how that will affect things. But that's irrelevant to the negotiation this year, and in the future, because we don't know yet, it really doesn't make sense to automatically assume he will demand Mahomes money.

If we play the season I would agree that France will advise that $35 million is outdated, and that's probably fair for him to do. But that doesn't mean he will require Mahomes money.

If we do not play the season, $35 million may still be a ballpark price because the league will be coming of a season with a lot of lost revenue. That is probably Dak's biggest enemy right now.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I see what you are doing here and I'm not buying it. I'm talking about his success as QB and offense.
I didn't say ANYTHING about the team win loss record. But you went RIGHT there....swiftly!
methinks thou dost protest too much
I don't enjoy Shakespeare. Oh no! I protested again!

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Personal opinion....nothing wrong with exploring what the options are, rather than the "we're doomed" brigade that see the Dak situation as being the end of the world.
But we don't even know the options. Feeling good about Dak doesn't have to mean winning the Super Bowl, and being less sold on Dak doesn't have to mean 8-8 and a down season statistically. The Cowboys could do anything from winning the Super Bowl to eking out an 8-8 record, and Dak could do anything from leading the league in passing to having a very average season. And there are a lot of levels in between those things, and we can't really say what the options are for every one of them.

Jipper

Reaction score
I understand but it’s poor evaluation process on our part if we are relying on team success to validate paying our QB. It comes off like we need public perception to support.

There’s no guarantees the team or the QB is enough to go to a championship. After 4 years you have to make a leap of faith based on what we’ve seen. And live with it.

If that’s not enough then you have to move on but you must be prepared for the effects and impact until you find another QB.

This is where we are weak as an organization without more expertise and accountability in our GM and VP evaluating our talent properly making contract decisions accordingly.

yeah dude nothing to dispute there....

Diehardblues

Reaction score
People want to think of pay as a position ranking, and that’s completely illogical. The only way it could be is if every QB negotiated a new contract in the same year under identical market conditions with all teams agreeing on the QB ranking. Clearly unrealistic.
Yep

Not sure everyone gets this?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

This is a great point. Some say a Dak shouldn't get paid until winning a Super Bowl, but that's not reality in the NFL. If that were the standard a team wouldn't be able to compete in the marketplace with teams that see something in a QB they think they can win with. Many Super Bowl winning QB's didn't win within their first 4 years, and if their teams let them walk away they would have missed the boat. Teams just have to go with their own evaluations and act accordingly.

Jipper

Reaction score
Yep

Not sure everyone gets this?

it will never happen but wonder what it would be like if players negotiated their percentage of a teams salary cap instead of an absolute number .

Again will not happen but interesting concept

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Yes, on the franchise tag, but I doubt Dak is offered a dime more than offered this year in 2021.
It may even be reduced, and not trying to be factitious here, just saying, nobody knows the state of this game nor contract structure going forward.
Smart players and the agents representing them got deals done, and grabbed the cash while it was relevant.
Nobody knows what is relevant right now, and a bad time to be a betting man.
This situation gives the Cowboys more leverage at this point.
We can all guess as to what he is offered but he will have the ability to control his own fate unless Dallas pays him 37.7M or signs him long term.
Dallas has to pay 37.7M to buy control same way they had to pay 31.4 to buy control this year.

No two ways about it, Dallas screwed this up.

If Dak isn't good they never shoulda paid him 31.4M this year, if he is they gotta pay that 37.7m freight next year or give him what he wants long term AFTER paying him 31.4M this season.

Cowboys go to Conf Finals and Dak is 3/4 in passing yards and he will ask for the moon and rightfully so. And those projections are only slightly rosy.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
True, it was before Mahomes signed, but it is also true, as you said, we don't know how that will affect things. But that's irrelevant to the negotiation this year, and in the future, because we don't know yet, it really doesn't make sense to automatically assume he will demand Mahomes money.

If we play the season I would agree that France will advise that $35 million is outdated, and that's probably fair for him to do. But that doesn't mean he will require Mahomes money.

If we do not play the season, $35 million may still be a ballpark price because the league will be coming of a season with a lot of lost revenue. That is probably Dak's biggest enemy right now.
Based on the 37.7 tag next year I’d have to believe the 35 will be outdated.