Twitter: Jerry: Kyle Pitts and Visions of Sugar Plums

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
What is the total impact of the TE? To block inferiorly to the OLman and be less active I. The passing game than the WR. RBs, QBs, safeties all have multilayered roles beyond those stats. What is a TE’s additional roles? Rushing? Passing? Placeholder perhaps?

Im sure you’d be so upset if Philly drafted Pitts, wouldn’t you?

9of11

Reaction score
Only dreams he has is of Sheena Easton's Sugar Walls....

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
depends on the TE. Have not seen many 6'06" TE running 4.45 40's. That is a nightmare match up where LB and or safety covers the TE.

But we have seen some who were beyond prolific. No SB appearances for Gonzalez, Winslow, or Gates, no Championship games even for Witten. You guys are salivating for stats on a sheet of paper, but not the right stat: W.

TEs can be great, they can assist teams in Super Bowl runs. But they simply do not have the winshare impact to spend top 10 picks on.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Im sure you’d be so upset if Philly drafted Pitts, wouldn’t you?

Disappointed, yeah. Glitz and Glamor is your domain

So the trade back with Miami was doubly prosperous. Gave us a Miami 2021 first and prevented us from making an error many fans are clamoring for. He should be long gone before we pick, many Atlanta’s and Cincinnati’s who’ll pick before us and have a history of drafting mistakes

Doomsday101

Reaction score
But we have seen some who were beyond prolific. No SB appearances for Gonzalez, Winslow, or Gates, no Championship games even for Witten. You guys are salivating for stats on a sheet of paper, but not the right stat: W.

TEs can be great, they can assist teams in Super Bowl runs. But they simply do not have the winshare impact to spend top 10 picks on.

Kelce played a big role in KC SB, Gronk as well in NE and big game in this past SB. I hope to address defense but I will not kid myself in thinking Pitt is just some avg TE. TE are often covered by LB or safety and there are few who can deal with 6'06" 4.45 40 TE. I hope we get Surtain I would be happy with Pitts because what he brings does not around often for 1 and 2 I don't want to have to defend him be it in NY or Philly who will jump on Pitts. Having said that I do think Pitts goes before Dallas picks

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
Disappointed, yeah. Glitz and Glamor is your domain

So the trade back with Miami was doubly prosperous. Gave us a Miami 2021 first and prevented us from making an error many fans are clamoring for. He should be long gone before we pick, many Atlanta’s and Cincinnati’s who’ll pick before us and have a history of drafting mistakes

Lamb was a glitzy glamour pick. I’m sure you’re glad we drafted him also.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Kelce played a big role in KC SB, Gronk as well in NE and big game in this past SB. I hope to address defense but I will not kid myself in thinking Pitt is just some avg TE. TE are often covered by LB or safety and there are few who can deal with 6'06" 4.45 40 TE. I hope we get Surtain I would be happy with Pitts because what he brings does not around often for 1 and 2 I don't want to have to defend him be it in NY or Philly who will jump on Pitts. Having said that I do think Pitts goes before Dallas picks

What big accomplishment did gronk make for NE Super Bowls? You should look into that before you reference it.

2018 SF scored 3 points. NE wins with or without Rob, same as TB in 2020. 2017 Gronk played, was the best TE on the field, and they lost anyway. 2016... Gronk was out the whole playoffs. NE didn’t even need him. Imagine Dallas saying they don’t even need Emmitt or Irvin. Imagine SF saying they don’t even need Rice. You’d never hear that because they’re not TEs.

What about 2014 Super Bowl? Gronk had his big TD catch in the first half, as they went into the locker room tied. He then had 3 total catches in the whole second half as Brady mounted his comeback when they were down in the 4th. 3 catches not including the pass he bobbled that Seattle picked off that gave them the lead in the first place.

those were his big contributions to the team. I’m not saying TE isn’t an important position and it’s not great to have a great player there... But no TE has ever been great enough to make his position worth a top 10 pick.

A diamond encrusted pawn is still a pawn, while the rook holds more value, even if made of styrofoam.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Lamb was a glitzy glamour pick. I’m sure you’re glad we drafted him also.

You had 2 1000 yard receivers and felt a third was more important than any of your holes, and then you went 6-10. It was a very Jerry Jones move, there’s no doubt about that

Hardline

Reaction score
What is the total impact of the TE? To block inferiorly to the OLman and be less active I. The passing game than the WR. RBs, QBs, safeties all have multilayered roles beyond those stats. What is a TE’s additional roles? Rushing? Passing? Placeholder perhaps?
I'm just refuting you disregarding a skilled offensive position that can have a major impact in your offense. Many TEs have been major weapons in their offenses.
You will even find them in the NFL Hall of Fame.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
at 6'06" running a 4.4 246lbs, he would clearly put a lot of pressure on defense. I get why Jerry is enamored
And it really isn’t even his abundant physical gifts that make him so good. They help a lot, yes... but his ability to track the ball in the air, position himself, go up and catch the ball is rare and is very reminiscent of Randy Moss’ ability to do that. It is just a natural feel that few guys have and it makes them naturally great at catching the ball.

One current NFL Scout who has been scouting for 30 years told the NFL Network that in his 30 years of doing this, Pitts is the best at tracking the ball that he’s ever seen. Another NFL Scout said that Pitts may have the best hands he’s ever seen.

You take those abilities and pair them with rare athleticism and competitiveness in a 6’6” 245 pound frame and you have a guy that is going to be a huge game changer.

As I heard it put the other day: There hasn’t ever been anyone quite like him.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
and wr ranks somewhere in the low teens, but still he is not.

a TE half the time is an inferior WR, and half the time is an inferior OL. Look at the greatest seasons a TE has ever had, they pale in comparison to even every day pro bowl WRs. They do not impact a football game the way a top 10 pick should

Best season I can remember in terms of receiving production would be:

Rob Gronkowski 2011: 90 receptions, 1,327 yards, 17 TDs.

To this day, 2011 Gronk is the best FFL pick I have ever made. Some other seasons that hold their own:

Travis Kelce 2018: 103 receptions, 1,336 yards, 10 TDs
Travis Kelce 2020: 105 receptions, 1,416 yards, 11 TDs
Jimmy Graham 2011: 99 receptions, 1,310 yards, 11 TDs
Jimmy Graham 2013: 86 receptions, 1,215 yards, 16 TDs
Darren Waller 2020: 107 receptions, 1,196 yards, 9 TDs

Those are some pretty good seasons, regardless of position. TE isn't a sexy position, but there's plenty of production that could be had.

I wouldn't pick the kid, but if someone where to offer any NFL team that sort of production for #10 overall, it would likely be considered solid value. Plenty of WRs have been drafted higher and have done a hell of a lot less. This doesn't even include Tony G, who's arguably the best TE that has ever played.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
I'm just refuting you disregarding a skilled offensive position that can have a major impact in your offense. Many TEs have been major weapons in their offenses.
You will even find them in the NFL Hall of Fame.

And I never said they weren’t. I even reiterated it was an important position. Just not on the level of other positions, and not worthy of a top 10 pick.

There are kickers in the hall of fame too. Would you spend a top 10 pick on a kicker?