Twitter: Jerry: Kyle Pitts and Visions of Sugar Plums

Bigdog

Reaction score
Jerry getting excited about a player scares the hell out of me, especially when that player is in play around 4.
What would really make this draft turn on its head is that the Niners pick him at 3 just to mess with everyone.

Winonesoon

Reaction score
its a smoke screen. chill guys. Its all about the numbers. Either Sertain II or Horn will be a cowboy. Dallas needs the book ends.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
I can see it now: "There's been a trade. The Miami Dolphins are trading the 6th pick to the Dallas Cowboys for the 10 and 44th pick in the 2021 draft."

And this place would be happy with that capital being given up too. Lol
Definitely. All the Dak homers would love it. All the Dallas Cowboys fans would hate it.

Big_D

Reaction score
Jerry’s smoke screens are hilarious! Does the rest of the league really still buy his garbage or even care what the Cowboys are up to? Unless someone’s looking to strike a trade, anything this azzclown has to say is irrelevant.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I didn’t think Madden was that bad of a color commentary.

Tony Gonzalez is another example of why not to go high in the draft for TE. He has only 1 more championship game appearance than Witten, and that wasn’t KC, it was in Atlanta where they would have gone without him. Would you take a fullback too in the top 10 if he was good enough?

22nd best out of 22 positions only because few start FBs anymore. Why do you think TE gets paid dramatically less than WR? Amari Cooper makes 33% more AAV Than the highest paid TE in nfl history! AMARI COOPER. Year 7, 0 1200 yard seasons, 0 10 TD seasons, TE salaries don’t come close to his. 4 TE’s drafted in the top 16 of the nfl draft the last 18 years. Only 4. 2 lions, 1 bengal, 1 9er. How do you think those teams feel about those picks today? If you have a top 10 pick, you need roster help badly. TE does not bring you closer to winning. It’s a pick that could have been used on an important position. Imagine Detroit if they had a couple more real pass rushers instead of throwing top picks away at TE.

Shannon Sharpe has 2 rings, yes. He also had a rb who combined for 3800 rushing yards those 2 years. He also had an all time QB. He also had a stout defense. You think Elway is Ringless without Shannon sharpe? Not a chance. Gronk had almost no impact on the playoff runs where he won his rings. Wasn’t even on the roster for the Atlanta ring all through those playoffs and they won anyway. They beat SF by holding them to 3 points, didn’t need gronk.

NFL front offices don’t pay TEs the biggest money, don’t draft TEs with the highest picks, and the best TEs in NFL history, Witten, Gonzalez, Winslow, Gates, hardly ever make championship games much less superbowls. What other position has so little success at the top of its hierarchy? It’s a glitz and glamour pick, put up nice pretty stats and throw away a high draft pick that could be used on an important position.

QB, lines, pass rush. Defensive backfield.... weapons are frosting. You don’t add them while you’re still mixing the cake... and you want the least impactful weapon? TE’s are an important position, but so is kicker. Nobody is spending a top 10 on that either. Someone will draft Pitts, he could very well put up fancy stats and maybe even make the hall of fame. They’ll even act like it was some kind of home run pick. And that team will still be no closer to winning than before they drafted him.

Looking at Pittts' stats overall, what jumps out at you is the 12 tds on only 43 catches. However, he got 7 of those tds against Mississippi and Kentucky, who finished a combined 10-11. Kentucky was 3-6 when Florida beat them. Pitts will face top defenses most of the time in the NFL, the talent level is much higher overall in the NFL.

Of course you can't look at just stats, game film shows he has speed, catching ability, reach, etc. But just be aware that he played on a very good team against some poor teams, it's easier to impress when you play against lesser talent. Too many people think he'll automatically do just as well in the pros as he did in college, but that's more often than not incorrect. The Emmitt Smiths are the exception, not the rule...

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
What would really make this draft turn on its head is that the Niners pick him at 3 just to mess with everyone.
True, but the Niners didnt trade all the way up to 3 to draft a TE.
They paid the price to get there to secure their franchise QB.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm baffled. Is the sugar plum reference to Kyle's last name being Pitts? Is it some kind of expression from the 1960's? Sometimes I just wish Jerry would shut up and let smarter people run the show.

Last edited:

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I'm baffled. Is the sugar plum reference to Kyle's last name being Pitts? Is it some kind of expression from the 1960's? Sometimes I just wish Jerry would just shut up and let smarter people run the show.
Jerry is like a little kid on Christmas morning with visions of sugar plum fairies dancing in his head.

Creeper

Reaction score
If he trades away 44 to move up to 6 and take Pitts I will scream. I love Pitts and if he FALLS to Dallas I would pick him in a minute. But I would not give up 10 and 44 to move up to get him. That is simply out of the question for me. If he drops to 8 and Jerry gives up 10 and a 3rd to get him I would be only mildly upset depending on whether it is 75 or 99 he gives up. Of course if the Cowboys had a decent defense then I would be more willing to trade up. But the defense is not going to get fixed with 3rd and 4th round draft picks.

Pitts would be a great addition to the Cowboys offense, but consider a couple of points. 1). There are only so many balls to go around. We drafted Lamb to be a threat, we have Gallup and Cooper, who we acquired in a trade giving up our 1st round pick then paid him $20 million a year. And of course we are a run first offense - or are we? If not then why pay Zeke $15 million a year? 2) With the defense unable to stop anyone, the Cowboys will lose time of possession every game, which means fewer offensive plays, or fewer opportunities to get Pitts the ball. Of course the other side of this is the Cowboys will always be behind in the score and will be throwing the ball constantly to catch up - more opportunities for Pitts, but in a role more of a WR not a TE. In the end, I do not see Pitts alone adding many Ws as long as we have this horrible defense.

Now, had Jerry been more aggressive in free agency signing a quality CB and a DT, then we would have the luxury of trading up to get Pitts.

kskboys

Reaction score
I'm baffled. Is the sugar plum reference to Kyle's last name being Pitts? Is it some kind of expression from the 1960's? Sometimes I just wish Jerry would shut up and let smarter people run the show.
You mean like Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels?

kskboys

Reaction score
If he trades away 44 to move up to 6 and take Pitts I will scream. I love Pitts and if he FALLS to Dallas I would pick him in a minute. But I would not give up 10 and 44 to move up to get him. That is simply out of the question for me. If he drops to 8 and Jerry gives up 10 and a 3rd to get him I would be only mildly upset depending on whether it is 75 or 99 he gives up. Of course if the Cowboys had a decent defense then I would be more willing to trade up. But the defense is not going to get fixed with 3rd and 4th round draft picks.

Pitts would be a great addition to the Cowboys offense, but consider a couple of points. 1). There are only so many balls to go around. We drafted Lamb to be a threat, we have Gallup and Cooper, who we acquired in a trade giving up our 1st round pick then paid him $20 million a year. And of course we are a run first offense - or are we? If not then why pay Zeke $15 million a year? 2) With the defense unable to stop anyone, the Cowboys will lose time of possession every game, which means fewer offensive plays, or fewer opportunities to get Pitts the ball. Of course the other side of this is the Cowboys will always be behind in the score and will be throwing the ball constantly to catch up - more opportunities for Pitts, but in a role more of a WR not a TE. In the end, I do not see Pitts alone adding many Ws as long as we have this horrible defense.

Now, had Jerry been more aggressive in free agency signing a quality CB and a DT, then we would have the luxury of trading up to get Pitts.

Not about aggression. We spent all our salary cap on 5 players.

Bigdog

Reaction score
True, but the Niners didnt trade all the way up to 3 to draft a TE.
They paid the price to get there to secure their franchise QB.
I know that and I know they are drafting a TE since they already have one but it sure would be an interesting night if they did.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pitts said Horn was the toughest DB he faced all season. Could be Horn over Surtain
Consider the competition, South Carolina, who plays in the SEC East, decided to put their best CB on Pitts because they had little else and Toney didn't play in that game and he is a very physical CB, more so than Surtain.

There is a ? about whether Horn's game can move to the NFL where they don't let them mug the WR's because they're the stars. And that was his game at SC, if he can't play physical, he's not as special. But they're both good CB's and worthy of the 10 pick.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I know that and I know they are drafting a TE since they already have one but it sure would be an interesting night if they did.
Well I agree with that, talk about a mad scramble push into the top ten for teams needing a QB but sitting around 20 like the Bears.
If the Niners would have moved up to #6 to draft Jones, then CAR, DEN or NE would still have been able to leapfrog them. The fact that SF paid a premium to move all the way to #3 (the de facto #1 at this point) means that they are sold on one specific QB, to the point that they are leaving no room for error in drafting him. IMO, there's no way that QB is Lance. It has to be Jones.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Do you catch yourself doing this every time they put that old fool on camera?
I will remain a Cowboys fan.

Sugar plums? What an idiot, ripping off "Twas the Night Before Christmas"? Pitts playing Santa in Booger's dreams?

They should replay this next Wednesday.

Twas the night before the draft with me in my gown
Gene in her jeans with me trying to pull them down
Thinking of the throngs of family that I would hire
Decided off to bed with me now and as I need to retire
To visions of falling players and sugar plums dancing in my head
As all my faithful Cowboys fans dealt with their sense of dread.
Would I trade up or down, oh what would their Ole Booger decide
I would do what I always do, with my Johnnie Walker Blue by my side.