Jerry not interested on making changes w/Zack Martins contract?

Sydla

Reaction score
Syeele and Biadasz are decent on their own. They don't need Martin beside them.
LOL.

If you think having Martin between them hasn't made them significantly better........... whew boy. If Martin doesn't show and play to start the season, you are going to see some very middling and disappointing OL play on the right side. And if Tyron gets hurt.................. they are in deep crap.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
What names?

If Martin sits out, who is playing RG that can make the impact that Martin can (which most importantly, makes Steele and Biadasz at least competent?)
There is a lot of youth there, youth with actual upside for once in a very long time.
Im good with watching and letting some of the young bucks like Waletzco, Bostick, Richards, Bass get some needed reps.
Those freaking about the current Martin situation are doing just that .. FREAKING.
Was a FO and vet move, you're not getting a raise right now Zach, but however we will let you chill out during damp.

Loso86

Reaction score
You can't do multiple guys at once? Hooker just got signed to the surprise of most people. But apparently there was an order as to who was to be signed first?

It has to be done now because Martin wants it done now. He's that important to the team. So if the plan is to extend him later, then bite the bullet and do it now and make everyone happy and don't derail a potentially great season.
He's important but so is 7 and 88. I hear what your saying bro I do, but come on Now! You know the Joneses live Martin he knows it'll get done and yall fans acting like it won't why!? Because he's holding out.....?

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
He's important but so is 7 and 88. I hear what your saying bro I do, but come on Now! You know the Joneses live Martin he knows it'll get done and yall fans acting like it won't why!? Because he's holding out.....?
I figured something would get done until Jerry started blabbing his mouth. Players always say don't talk about another players money. Jerry should have followed that advice. Negotiations shouldn't have been made public and it wasn't wise to try to put player against player.

pansophy

Reaction score
Here's the thing many are missing.

They have to do something about Martin soon anyway. He's a 23 million cap hit next year. So unless they plan on letting him play in 2024 on that massive cap hit, they have to do something in season or post season anyway.

So it makes little sense to dig in now unless there is a thought process with Jerry and Stephen where they are just going to cut Martin next offseason anyway. In that case, sure, doing nothing now would make some sense except for the fact they just restructured his base this year and kicked more cap hits into the future. If you were planning on cutting him down the road anyway, then that was dumb.

People can be pissed that Martin is asking for more. Great. But reality is Jerry is hamfisting this thing, which is what he's often prone to do. He might not want to do something now but reality is he has to do something soon (in the next 6-8 months) so why piss off arguably your best offensive player and clearly your best OL.
This makes sense. How old can he be and still play at a high level though? He is turning 33 in November so do you really want a big money 4-year deal on that? Probably why he is holding out for his last chance at a sizable contract. He isn't getting a 4-year deal of any size at 34 next year. I don't think anyway can really scream about the team walking away from Martin next year if he wants a big money 4-year deal at 34, even a 3-year deal.

To my eye Martin is declining. He's still great but when he was younger he never got beat and now he does -- still less than everyone else -- but he is still showing signs of aging so its not Jones can say "hey, Martin is going to be an anomaly and be able to play at a top 5 level until he's 37". There's a lot of uncertainty there.

Sydla

Reaction score
This makes sense. How old can he be and still play at a high level though? He is turning 33 in November so do you really want a big money 4-year deal on that? Probably why he is holding out for his last chance at a sizable contract. He isn't getting a 4-year deal of any size at 34 next year. I don't think anyway can really scream about the team walking away from Martin next year if he wants a big money 4-year deal at 34, even a 3-year deal.

To my eye Martin is declining. He's still great but when he was younger he never got beat and now he does -- still less than everyone else -- but he is still showing signs of aging so its not Jones can say "hey, Martin is going to be an anomaly and be able to play at a top 5 level until he's 37". There's a lot of uncertainty there.
He was a first team all pro last year. So this idea that he's declining is strange to me. Is he as good as he was as a 28 year old? Likely not. Is he still better than 99% of the OGs in the NFL? Absolutely.

If there is a decline here, it's negligible aand there is nothing here that would indicate if they extend him for 3 years that at the end, he'll be some sort of anchor on our cap. This is just bad decision making by Jerry IMO. He's often quick to go to extremes in reaction to moves he's previously made. So if his butt is chapped by having to cut Elliott after he held out and he's now doing the exact opposite with Martin, that's unsound thinking.

But he's led this team to zero NFCCG games in 25 years, so it should surprise no one he's hamfisting this thing.

pansophy

Reaction score
He was a first team all pro last year. So this idea that he's declining is strange to me. Is he as good as he was as a 28 year old? Likely not. Is he still better than 99% of the OGs in the NFL? Absolutely.

If there is a decline here, it's negligible aand there is nothing here that would indicate if they extend him for 3 years that at the end, he'll be some sort of anchor on our cap. This is just bad decision making by Jerry IMO. He's often quick to go to extremes in reaction to moves he's previously made. So if his butt is chapped by having to cut Elliott after he held out and he's now doing the exact opposite with Martin, that's unsound thinking.

But he's led this team to zero NFCCG games in 25 years, so it should surprise no one he's hamfisting this thing.
I can't argue with that. I think Jerry realized later that he never should have drafted Zeke in the first place since you want your first rounder to be on the team 10 years and you really don't want to be paying RB's big money. Once we drafted him we were sort of stuck because if we don't resign him then we essentially didn't get full value of that 1st round pick either.

But to your point, if they have to do something with his contract anyway and they aren't seeing a significant decline then why wouldn't they just do it? They have to have concerns about his age -- or at least Stephen does. So I could see this going south and Martin deciding to just retire.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Very true but how does he feel about the Malik Hooker extension? Does this make him more mad and he stays out longer what does he get tired of paying $50,000 a practice and he comes back.. hes Seems to be overpaid if that's not very much to pay 500k already.. seems to be overpaid if that's not a big deal to lose that kind of cash.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I figured something would get done until Jerry started blabbing his mouth. Players always say don't talk about another players money. Jerry should have followed that advice. Negotiations shouldn't have been made public and it wasn't wise to try to put player against player.
Somehow, we forget that the entire holdout was made public by Martin and his agents first but somehow this always circles back and it's on Jerry.

no this was started in public he was asked about it in public during other interviews therefore he answered in public if Martin wanted to keep this quiet Martin should have kept his mouth shut and showed up for camp and negotiated behind the scenes maybe they could have said he was missing because of a mild illness and then they wouldn't had to fined him and they could have done this without it being public​

this was started by Martins camp period end of story it became out-of-the-box already.

Loso86

Reaction score
Very true but how does he feel about the Malik Hooker extension? Does this make him more mad and he stays out longer what does he get tired of paying $50,000 a practice and he comes back.. hes Seems to be overpaid if that's not very much to pay 500k already.. seems to be overpaid if that's not a big deal to lose that kind of cash.
No reason why he should get upset another guy got an extension, especially if he's suppose to be a leader and captain. Let's be real don't sign the deal or restructure then. Nobody made him put that 7 or 8 or 9 mil in his pocket to drop his salary cap hit

Sydla

Reaction score
No reason why he should get upset another guy got an extension, especially if he's suppose to be a leader and captain. Let's be real don't sign the deal or restructure then. Nobody made him put that 7 or 8 or 9 mil in his pocket to drop his salary cap hit
Well technically, I don't think the Cowboys need his approval to restructure by converting base to bonus. And no player would turn down cash up front as opposed to getting it spread out over 17 games.

Loso86

Reaction score
Well technically, I don't think the Cowboys need his approval to restructure by converting base to bonus. And no player would turn down cash up front as opposed to getting it spread out over 17 games.
Exactly. But I'm certain it's discussed as a chance of happening when doing the initial contract

plasticman

Reaction score
Jerry Jones traded DeMarcus Ware to the Denver Broncos after the 2013 season. Ware was going to cost 16 million against the 2014 cap.
He had been injured in 2013 and part of the previous season. He posted a career low 6 sacks.

Do you remember the Cowboys 2014 season?

Tony Romo was the highest rated QB that season. DeMarco Murray set a new Cowboys single season rushing record. The Cowboys had a top 5 offense and a mid-ranked defense.

Still, the Cowboys were one disputed play away from going to the NFC championship game. It's reasonable to assume the Cowboys would have been a better team with Ware, especially when you consider his 10 sacks for the Broncos that season.

Actually, this is a lesson that Jerry Jones acknowledges. We'll see.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Jerry Jones traded DeMarcus Ware to the Denver Broncos after the 2013 season. Ware was going to cost 16 million against the 2014 cap.
He had been injured in 2013 and part of the previous season. He posted a career low 6 sacks.

Do you remember the Cowboys 2014 season?

Tony Romo was the highest rated QB that season. DeMarco Murray set a new Cowboys single season rushing record. The Cowboys had a top 5 offense and a mid-ranked defense.

Still, the Cowboys were one disputed play away from going to the NFC championship game. It's reasonable to assume the Cowboys would have been a better team with Ware, especially when you consider his 10 sacks for the Broncos that season.

Actually, this is a lesson that Jerry Jones acknowledges. We'll see.
Can we stop with the making assumptions that things would have happened just like oh man if we were just had amari Cooper last year, we would have beat the 49ers no we had in the year before and got beat by the 49ers the reason that DeMarcus Ware had such a good season was because of who was on the other side I believe that was one of the best pass rushers ever in Von MIller

it took the pressure off ware, we didn't have that here at the time DeMarcus Ware, could have more easily been chipped and doubled and then we had nothing on the other side besides the fact maybe your memory doesn't serve you right but big fumble by DeMarco Murray, two missed field goals by Bailey, and then the dreaded catch no catch call and then the defense couldn't stop Aaron Rodgers no more than they could stop them two years later in 2016 this is just part of the reality, we lost and you can't go back in and insert a player and say oh that's a lesson learned DWare was part of this team for how long before he left and since, we still haven't got to an NFC championship game.

so saying he would have been the missing piece is ridiculous he was here the whole time. I would say the lesson was learned that you have to make tough decisions and let players go even amari Cooper and yes to Ware..

blueblood70

Reaction score
it was 16mil LOL now his 2mil base salry is being ate up by the fines and soon he will owe jerry money back ..hope he gets back soon.

FVSTONE

Reaction score

Martin seems like a down to earth guy and has probably saved a lot of his NFL earnings and being that he is 32 yrs of age with not a lot of years left to play he might say enough is enough of the circus ownership and call it a career and RETIRE before the start of this season.

Verdict

Reaction score
The people here always saying “pay the man” are the same people who ***** and whine that we haven’t won a SB in X years and counting.

Cap management is a HUGE part of winning a SB. The cap was very offensively weighted during the Romo years and the result was a poor defense.

The Jones boys have made a lot of bad mistakes during their tenure including overpaying Zeke but you have to give them credit they seem to learn (albeit too slowly) from their mistakes.

Paying Martin more money will not increase the play of this team. In fact it will do the opposite.

If you are a Cowboys fan, and value winning a SB as the top goal of this team, then cap allocation should be very important to you.

Paying Martin huge dollars was not really not a great idea to begin with. It is similar to paying a RB huge money, except G tends to have better longevity.

It’s not typically a highly paid position for a reason. They can be had for a reasonable cap charge, and they are not a priority in the draft.

Martin WAS an exceptional player. He’s a good player but not an exceptional player any longer. I would flip him for picks and roll on.