Jerry not interested on making changes w/Zack Martins contract?

Rayman70

Reaction score
C’mon…you’re better than Nav. No need to resort to silly emojis. It’s ok to just have a discussion about it
well I guess I am astonished watching the Zack Martin crowd in here. The logic they are using isn't the reality of this situation. The man is an employee that has 2 years remaining on his deal. No one has yet told me why this is Jerrys fault. I guess because they can't. Again, if we can't at least survive without a RG, as great as he is, for a time, then this scouting dept and coaching staff all should be fired on the spot. If folks wanna tell me we will lose games because of a guard, fire everyone then. The entire theory is just bunk. That said, I prefer Zack being here and I think he will be.

Rayman70

Reaction score
It certainly seems that Martin is content to sit the season at this rate. If he handled his money well that is a possibility.
let him . This game is bigger than 1 guy. I respect that if he does. Next man up.

Rayman70

Reaction score
You are indeed out of touch if you don’t understand Zack is probably our best offensive player, so yes we are very dependent on him. You could see what happened when Steele went down last year. Now double it.
read everything I said. His greatness is inarguable. But if we can't win many games without a guard, better fire everyone on staff and in the scouting dept. That means we failed miserably. Stop picking out your talking points and read it all. I get it, You feel the way u do about the guy, as do I, Im just not willing to bend the rules and hurt the team by yielding to a guard. Not when we have other needs.

Flamma

Reaction score
I think the super rich don't look at it as them having 60 million dollars. They look at is a 20 million sitting out there for them to claim. Like they look at is as losing 20 million and not as what they all ready have.
That's as good a theory as I've heard. I just don't understand it. Your goal in life is to be happy, right? Do what you need to do to achieve this. If you're already there, why stress over stuff that changes little? A few years back I transferred to a job that paid much less. It still paid well, just not crazy good. I did it because it was waaaaaay easier and I didn't need the extra money and headache that came with it. It still paid well. My goal was to be happy, not bathe in gold coins. But I guess everyone prioritizes things differently. BTW, an inheritance is what changed my perspective. I'm good.

Jarntt

Reaction score
read everything I said. His greatness is inarguable. But if we can't win many games without a guard, better fire everyone on staff and in the scouting dept. That means we failed miserably. Stop picking out your talking points and read it all. I get it, You feel the way u do about the guy, as do I, Im just not willing to bend the rules and hurt the team by yielding to a guard. Not when we have other needs.
He is our best offensive player. Any team that loses their best offensive player will struggle. The coaches didn't build a team expecting Zack to be out. Once Tyron goes down, and he will, if Zack isn't there it will be a huge negative for the team and I'll even say a disaster. He is the glue on our OL and this team has shown when the OL is doing well, the offense does well and when the OL struggles the whole offense struggles. Regardless of which side of the Dak debate you are on there is no doubt he (like many QBs) doesn't do well with pressure in his face. It's when he short arms balls and doesn't follow through. Now combine that with not being able to run the ball efficiently. There's no debating his value to the team. In a cap world you can't back up every player so you pick and choose your spots and on this team a guy that plays every week at an All Pro level is the guy you don't go into the offseason worried about backing up.

blueblood70

Reaction score
No but it could help alot at the ultimate goal. Daks agent negotiated dirty, kept bumping the price after the team had agreed to their terms 3 times.

Emmitt was a different breed. He made the Cowboys roll. He made that superbowl team. Without him 0-2. What's Dallas record without dak?
No he didn't he negotiated for the best interests of his client Prescott was done dirty they put him on a franchise tag and didn't pay him early why didn't they pay him after year 3 he got more money because they took too long paying him and right now his money is about what it would have been if they had got him on a lower contract and then had to re up sooner I'm sorry dude there are eight other quarterbacks making more money maybe even more than eight his money technically slipped in AV below Daniel Jones just because his cap hits more doesn't mean that's what he's making they paid this man very little up front and then he backloaded it so it looks worse now to fans but technically it's still 40aav.. Asking a man to take less as if he's the only player on the team making money and the reason that we're losing is ridiculous... You're barking up the wrong tree you asking the man he should have took less and that somehow would have helped the team then why don't you tell that to Trayvon diggs and tank Lawrence and everyone else who are up for contracts and they get money especially everyone else in the league somehow they worked around Patrick mahomes deal as well as all the new contracts that have come after Prescott are bigger contracts all of them do you see these players taking less money

I don't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let me be clear Prescott 's contract is not what's been holding this team back we have not played well in the last game of the year and it has nothing to do with Prescott's money every team has a salary cap they have to work around and quarterbacks are being paid more than anyone else.. I find it hilarious and ironic that the top five highest paid quarterbacks in the league last year didn't make the playoffs but Prescott did...

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
The problem is I don't know if they have another B or C guard. I don't care what anybody says, the offensive line should have been addressed instead of an injured tight end who may not even contribute.This could become a real problem. They are setting themselves up for failure.
The OL has been addressed to a degree, most that are panicking are just not familiar with the names yet, so it is understandable, to a degree.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
The OL has been addressed to a degree, most that are panicking are just not familiar with the names yet, so it is understandable, to a degree.
Same way with WR from last year. Training camp is when all the raa raa talk happens. As soon as the games start then reality begins to set in. Happens every year. We'll see how well our OL is without Martin if he doesn't show and Tyrone goes down which he will. Probably hear a lot of bashing Dak again.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Same way with WR from last year. Training camp is when all the raa raa talk happens. As soon as the games start then reality begins to set in. Happens every year. We'll see how well our OL is without Martin if he doesn't show and Tyrone goes down which he will. Probably hear a lot of bashing Dak again.
Bashing Dak will happen regardless, you know it, I know it, and everyone else knows it including Dak and Tad that posts here.
Edit... Oh ya, I forgot to add Karen that posts here daily on the hour if not sooner.

Last edited:

Loso86

Reaction score
So then your plan is to just either let him play next year at a 23 million cap hit or just cut him and be done with him?
My plan is to take care of the other guys then get to ot. Why do yall act like it has to be done before the season starts. ...?

Sydla

Reaction score
let him . This game is bigger than 1 guy. I respect that if he does. Next man up.
If he's not playing this year, this is not a SB team. Martin is the biggest key to that entire OL because he transforms one side of the OL into competent. You remove Martin, between whatever slob you get to fill in, Biadasz/????/Steele is a middling, at best, OL combo.

Sydla

Reaction score
What names?

If Martin sits out, who is playing RG that can make the impact that Martin can (which most importantly, makes Steele and Biadasz at least competent?)

Sydla

Reaction score
My plan is to take care of the other guys then get to ot. Why do yall act like it has to be done before the season starts. ...?
You can't do multiple guys at once? Hooker just got signed to the surprise of most people. But apparently there was an order as to who was to be signed first?

It has to be done now because Martin wants it done now. He's that important to the team. So if the plan is to extend him later, then bite the bullet and do it now and make everyone happy and don't derail a potentially great season.

pansophy

Reaction score
I’ll be very surprised if they redo his deal. Stephen doesn’t like signing players in their 30’s to big money and they gave him a top contract when he signed it. So it’s not like Jerry feels guilty about the contract he gave him.

Agents get paid when contracts get signed and this would be Martin’s last possible big deal. So my guess is that he is getting bad advice.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
It's a business and Zack knows Dallas has nothing close on the roster to replace him so Zack made a smart business move. He knows if Jerry doesn't want to pay him other teams will. His loyalty isn't to the Cowboy or the fans. It's purely a business decision where he thinks he has the upper hand, so he's going to exploit that. That's just business bro and sometimes it hurts the team or the fans but that's the least of Zacks worries
”other teams” can’t even speak to him or his representation about him while he’s under contract with the Dallas Cowboys.

Davidlee1973

Reaction score
This is exactly why we needed to draft o’cyrus from Florida. He would be in solid in place of Martin. They could then trade Martin for a 2nd round pick to use to draft Tyron’s replacement. Instead Jerry drafted an over the hill, one legged Tight end.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What names?

If Martin sits out, who is playing RG that can make the impact that Martin can (which most importantly, makes Steele and Biadasz at least competent?)
Syeele and Biadasz are decent on their own. They don't need Martin beside them.

Sydla

Reaction score
I’ll be very surprised if they redo his deal. Stephen doesn’t like signing players in their 30’s to big money and they gave him a top contract when he signed it. So it’s not like Jerry feels guilty about the contract he gave him.

Agents get paid when contracts get signed and this would be Martin’s last possible big deal. So my guess is that he is getting bad advice.
Here's the thing many are missing.

They have to do something about Martin soon anyway. He's a 23 million cap hit next year. So unless they plan on letting him play in 2024 on that massive cap hit, they have to do something in season or post season anyway.

So it makes little sense to dig in now unless there is a thought process with Jerry and Stephen where they are just going to cut Martin next offseason anyway. In that case, sure, doing nothing now would make some sense except for the fact they just restructured his base this year and kicked more cap hits into the future. If you were planning on cutting him down the road anyway, then that was dumb.

People can be pissed that Martin is asking for more. Great. But reality is Jerry is hamfisting this thing, which is what he's often prone to do. He might not want to do something now but reality is he has to do something soon (in the next 6-8 months) so why piss off arguably your best offensive player and clearly your best OL.