Twitter: Jerry on Garrett "I think we've got a heck of a coach."

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
I see that earlier bogus thread Jerry paid for about the Giants wanting Garrett is already paying dividends for him.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Read the thread. Same old same old. This is the gem of the thread though in my opinion:
61xHt9cgDRL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

"Here, Jason. I got a contract for ya. Cackle cackle."
I decided to track down that issue based on the cover and title. It reminded me so much of the time way back when I often posted some people actually believed Jerry Jones was The Devil. Literally. Pitchfork and 1000 degrees. lol. Good times.

And it was a very good article. Here is the link for anyone interested:

https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/the-devil-and-mr-jones/

The writer quoted Jones, which underscores my long held conclusion of how Jones thinks concerning franchise quarterbacks and their transition:

<snip>

Seated at a back table in the hotel banquet room, Jones ate a steak while I fired questions, his smile amiable and relaxed. Why, I demanded, had he drafted an unproven talent like Carter with his top pick? And why, oh, why, after two preseason games, was Carter locked into the starter’s job?

The smile tightened as Jones rambled on about “the system,” how five- or ten-year plans were no longer possible in the NFL, how it was necessary to think and act fast, to play rookies, to stretch, to take risks. “I thought [drafting Carter] was the ideal situation to take a risk,” he told me. “It was cap friendly. And he might turn out to be a top quarterback. You cannot get to the Super Bowl by playing it safe. You’ve got to get ahead of the system, otherwise you’re doomed to stay in the middle of the pack.”

“With Carter as your starter,” I suggested, “you’re more likely to be at the bottom than in the middle. Why the sudden reversal?”

The smile popped like a flashbulb, indicating that Jones was way ahead of me. “I thought it was time to liven things up,” he said. “The minute I got the perspective that Banks was not our long-term quarterback, I wanted to make the change immediately.”

Circumstances were different and the relative player talent was far superior a few years ago in comparison to 2001. Nonetheless, it is an already established Jerry Jones mindset that re-asserted itself again in October (perhaps September) of 2016.

Jones has really remained the same in his approach as a general manager regarding all football matters. The only real change has been the passing of years. What he will eventually do about his current head coach will be no different. Regardless, some may end up being surprised anyway.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Then what is the basis? The logic isn’t adding up.

If there is another factor in this, what is it? What other factor is there that Jerry couldn’t have taken into account before this season and already given the extension?

The make or break here is where this season goes in the W/L column. That’s it.

The logic is perfectly fine, even if you’re not following. He’ll look at all of the factors available. How Jason handles the team. How he’s developed players. How he’s improved or not improved on game day over the years. How he guide and manages his staffs, how the season plays out. What money he wants in the deal. Who else is available. What money they might want. What the pr impact might be of keeping or changing the coach. How it would be to work with a new candidate. Everything. Most of those factors are cumulative considerations. Though some, like who else is available, is a function of the current season. Sean Payton was possibly going to be available at the rend of this season earlier in the year, for example.

As far as why the extension wasn’t handed out sooner, that’s people just not recognizing how Jerry works. He usually uses the full time on the contract, and he hates firing coaches with years remaining on their deals. He’s comfortable skating deadlines, like he did with Garrett last time and like he’s doing with Dak right now. It’s not really a measure of anything. And he’s said as much publicly. People just don’t want to believe it.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
The logic is perfectly fine, even if you’re not following. He’ll look at all of the factors available. How Jason handles the team. How he’s developed players. How he’s improved or not improved on game day over the years. How he guide and manages his staffs, how the season plays out. What money he wants in the deal. Who else is available. What money they might want. What the pr impact might be of keeping or changing the coach. How it would be to work with a new candidate. Everything. Most of those factors are cumulative considerations. Though some, like who else is available, is a function of the current season. Sean Payton was possibly going to be available at the rend of this season earlier in the year, for example.

As far as why the extension wasn’t handed out sooner, that’s people just not recognizing how Jerry works. He usually uses the full time on the contract, and he hates firing coaches with years remaining on their deals. He’s comfortable skating deadlines, like he did with Garrett last time and like he’s doing with Dak right now. It’s not really a measure of anything. And he’s said as much publicly. People just don’t want to believe it.

Garrett has been the HC for nearly a decade...

Jerry already knows all of this. It is far more simple than what you’re saying.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Garrett has been the HC for nearly a decade...

Jerry already knows all of this. It is far more simple than what you’re saying.

He doesn’t know all if it, as some of its a function of the current market and this season’s performance. And I didn’t suggest he didn’t know it. I said it’s all a factor in the decision. Those aren’t the same things.

phildadon86

Reaction score

He can’t sell Garrett to this fan base again without the playoffs it’s really that simple. You are the one who fails to see it. Even the media is turning on Garrett and asking pointed questions they never have before. Jerry sees this and calms the waters with this quote. Garrett already knows his days are numbered. Hence his look on game day and how he looks like he’s aged 10 years in 9 weeks. You just don’t want to accept that Garrett is on his way out

mattjames2010

Reaction score
He doesn’t know all if it, as some of its a function of the current market and this season’s performance. And I didn’t suggest he didn’t know it. I said it’s all a factor in the decision. Those aren’t the same things.

This is seriously just babbling and has nothing at all rooted in rational thinking or logic.

Garrett is a veteran HC at this point. If anything else was factoring into the decision to extend him, the extension would have happened. THIS YEAR is about getting over the hump - there are no more excuses left for Garrett. How he handles players, the culture, the locker room, what he eats for breakfast...it doesn’t matter if it isn’t producing the Ws.

This is just pure denial at this point.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He can’t sell Garrett to this fan base again without the playoffs it’s really that simple. You are the one who fails to see it. Even the media is turning on Garrett and asking pointed questions they never have before. Jerry sees this and calms the waters with this quote. Garrett already knows his days are numbered. Hence his look on game day and how he looks like he’s aged 10 years in 9 weeks. You just don’t want to accept that Garrett is on his way out

I fail to see it the same way I fail to see Santa. You guys have been *****ing about Jason Garrett for years. What’s happened to Jerry’s money over that last decade again? I always forget.

And as for arguments that that’s magically going to change next year: no, it won’t. Or if it does it will be Jerry making more money, not less.

CoachD

Reaction score
This just in Jerry......You're the only one who thinks that!

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is seriously just babbling and has nothing at all rooted in rational thinking or logic.

Garrett is a veteran HC at this point. If anything else was factoring into the decision to extend him, the extension would have happened. THIS YEAR is about getting over the hump - there are no more excuses left for Garrett. How he handles players, the culture, the locker room, what he eats for breakfast...it doesn’t matter if it isn’t producing the Ws.

This is just pure denial at this point.

I’ll just point out that you’re wrong here and also not looking at the situation logically. I don’t need to restate the argument because it’s clear up above. If you won’t recognize it there, repeating it won’t help.

Asklesko

Reaction score
Read the thread. Same old same old. This is the gem of the thread though in my opinion:

I decided to track down that issue based on the cover and title. It reminded me so much of the time way back when I often posted some people actually believed Jerry Jones was The Devil. Literally. Pitchfork and 1000 degrees. lol. Good times.

And it was a very good article. Here is the link for anyone interested:

https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/the-devil-and-mr-jones/

The writer quoted Jones, which underscores my long held conclusion of how Jones thinks concerning franchise quarterbacks and their transition:

<snip>

Seated at a back table in the hotel banquet room, Jones ate a steak while I fired questions, his smile amiable and relaxed. Why, I demanded, had he drafted an unproven talent like Carter with his top pick? And why, oh, why, after two preseason games, was Carter locked into the starter’s job?

The smile tightened as Jones rambled on about “the system,” how five- or ten-year plans were no longer possible in the NFL, how it was necessary to think and act fast, to play rookies, to stretch, to take risks. “I thought [drafting Carter] was the ideal situation to take a risk,” he told me. “It was cap friendly. And he might turn out to be a top quarterback. You cannot get to the Super Bowl by playing it safe. You’ve got to get ahead of the system, otherwise you’re doomed to stay in the middle of the pack.”

“With Carter as your starter,” I suggested, “you’re more likely to be at the bottom than in the middle. Why the sudden reversal?”

The smile popped like a flashbulb, indicating that Jones was way ahead of me. “I thought it was time to liven things up,” he said. “The minute I got the perspective that Banks was not our long-term quarterback, I wanted to make the change immediately.”

Circumstances were different and the relative player talent was far superior a few years ago in comparison to 2001. Nonetheless, it is an already established Jerry Jones mindset that re-asserted itself again in October (perhaps September) of 2016.

Jones has really remained the same in his approach as a general manager regarding all football matters. The only real change has been the passing of years. What he will eventually do about his current head coach will be no different. Regardless, some may end up being surprised anyway.

That article really says it all. Jones doesn't really care about winning the Super Bowl because he's having so much fun playing puppetmaster. As long as things are livened up, he's happy.

Fritsch_the_cat

Reaction score
I saw a headline in my news feed yesterday morning that said "GARRETT SUSPENDED FOR SEASON" and my heart went all aflutter, then I found out it was about that dough head helmet snatcher in Cleveland.

Blackrain

Reaction score

Mid season calming of the waters showing a bit of support but not much when you really read it .

Jerry expounds on his human qualities Hard working , Genuine , Sincere , Commitment
Football Savvy a very vague term
No where do I see Innovator , Clutch in big moments , Successful Career, Motivator , Winner , Respected , Disiplined , Prepared , Attention to detail , One of the top minds in football

Nope, none of that just a very bland generic , Hes a heck of a coach .

This reeks of I dont want the team to give up on him and throw in the towel because there is a chance to make the playoffs but it making me sick at my stomach having to watch him coach this talent-filled team continually be the reason we lose

Last edited:

HotDog37

Reaction score
Don't forget about the stuff Jerry puts out there with the PR staff about how good a' friends Jason Garrett is with Belichick and the coaching tie-ins with Saban. That stuff gets floated out there too. I would rather not have a "heck of a coach" on Jones's rating scale. I would rather have had a few Superbowls when Romo was here and working on another now with Dak. The type of head coach that would get us there would likely be someone that Jerry Jones would possibly not get along with too well because he would be an Alpha and Jerry doesn't like Alpha's too much. He wants a softie in here. We definitely have that.