Jerry on playoff success: The great Tom Landry had criticism for years

Sydla

Reaction score
Chew on this Jerry when you think Landry is the model here.

32 Total Super Bowl Winning Coaches:

- 30 had coached in at least one Super Bowl by Year 8 (Landry and Kubiak did not)

- 28 had won a SB by Year 8 with that particular team (Landry, Stram, Kubiak and Cowher)

SackMaster

Reaction score
That'll never happen. They can't help themselves.
Never been to a game myself, but from what I understand, a large percentage of people who attend Cowboys games are not "true fans" but more of the "well-off people" in the Metroplex that sees it as social status thing.

I could believe that considering until the Wildcard game, the Dallas Home Crowd did not seem to know when to be loud and when to be quiet for years.

Again, just repeating what I heard, so please correct me if I am wrong.

Brax

Reaction score

- 30 had coached in at least one Super Bowl by Year 8 (Landry and Kubiak did not)

- 28 had won a SB by Year 8 with that particular team (Landry, Stram, Kubiak and Cowher)
technically the SB didn't start until 1966 so 1970 is 4 years

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score

You repeatedly invoke these sorts of numbers. They’re not terribly helpful and it’s a failure of logic on your part to suppose that they are. You seem to conclude from these numbers that a long-tenured coach becomes less likely to reach and win a Super Bowl for the first time after Year 8. But all the numbers really show is that you’re unlikely to hang around the league for more than 8 years as a coach if you haven’t yet won a Super Bowl. They tell you nothing about what’s likely to happen after Year 8 if you’re one of the few that manages to beat the odds.

To see this, try putting together a list of coaches that have been employed more than 8 years without winning a Super Bowl. It’s going to be a pretty short list. And once you consider that, of that short list, four (Landry, Stram, Kubiak and Cowher) won Super Bowls after their 8th year, you’ll realize that we’re talking about a relatively high percentage of the list. Rendering your conclusion entirely doubtful (i.e. a high percentage of coaches that have an 8-year career without winning a Super Bowl go on to win a Super Bowl following their 8th year — there’s a decent chance Andy Reid is about to push the percentages even higher).

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
Jerry's walking on very thin ice here with our fans. He's one slightly questionable comment about Jason Witten away from needing round-the-clock security.
Yeah because Jason is like Landry outside of Jerry’s delusion...:rolleyes::muttley:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One of these things is true...or all of them are true
  • Jerry thinks he’s gonna live forever and is in no hurry to get another Lombardi if it means cramping his style.
  • Jerry has forgotten that Tom Landry won 20 playoff games in his 29 years as a HC compared to the 3 playoff games Jerry’s teams have won the last 23 years.
  • Jerry is so insulated from reality he believes most people think he’s credible.

You should also mention to our younger readers that the wild card round didn't exist in Landry's day. The first round was the "divisional round" .

Since Jerry harkens back to Landry now, he should apply the same standard. Jerry, by Landry era standards, hasn't won a playoff game in 23 years.

Last edited:

links18

Reaction score
I thought people here were joking when they sarcastically say things like Jason "Landry" Garrett. But no, that's exactly who the owner thinks he is.

khiladi

Reaction score
Why are people shocked? Jerry is as delusional as many of this board and the Tom Landry ‘comparison’ was floated on here by a big majority of guys now complaining about Garrett. Those who were criticizing Garrett for years constantly were telling you this is delusional.

Jerry already said in 2014, Garrett has a high tolerance for ambiguity when he stripped Garrett of play-calling duties and essentially said he’s a walk-around HC.

Jerry is snake-selling right now. Why don’t people just call it out for what it is and that is the ‘nepotism’ in Jerry-land regarding the Garrett family that goes back to Jason’s father. Jerry loves Jason like his son. The Garrett’s clearly maneuvered their way into the graces of the Jones family decades ago.

Even if Jason eventually goes, he’s still going to have a major position inside Jerry’s world.

links18

Reaction score
Jimmy could have been Jerry's Landry. He probably knows he screwed that up; now he has talked himself into thinking Garrett will be Jerry's gift to the NFL coaching legacy. The longer this experiment goes on, the deeper Jerry falls into the sunk cost fallacy with his investment in Garrett.

Sydla

Reaction score
You repeatedly invoke these sorts of numbers. They’re not terribly helpful and it’s a failure of logic on your part to suppose that they are. You seem to conclude from these numbers that a long-tenured coach becomes less likely to reach and win a Super Bowl for the first time after Year 8. But all the numbers really show is that you’re unlikely to hang around the league for more than 8 years as a coach if you haven’t yet won a Super Bowl. They tell you nothing about what’s likely to happen after Year 8 if you’re one of the few that manages to beat the odds.

To see this, try putting together a list of coaches that have been employed more than 8 years without winning a Super Bowl. It’s going to be a pretty short list. And once you consider that, of that short list, four (Landry, Stram, Kubiak and Cowher) won Super Bowls after their 8th year, you’ll realize that we’re talking about a relatively high percentage of the list. Rendering your conclusion entirely doubtful (i.e. a high percentage of coaches that have an 8-year career without winning a Super Bowl go on to win a Super Bowl following their 8th year — there’s a decent chance Andy Reid is about to push the percentages even higher).

Not really. The point is that SB winning coaches almost universally have some level of success in their first 8 years, even those who won a SB after Year 8. Take Cowher. Yes, he won his SB well after his 8th season. But through 8 seasons, he had given the Steelers enough on the field success to make it plausible he could eventually win one. Cowher, by the end of his 8th season, had already coached in a SB and another AFC Champ game.

In other words, if Jason Garrett had coached in a SB and another NFC Title game by this point, we'd all be having a much different discussion about his chances of winning a SB.

You seemingly forget that part of the analysis. That those coaches who had long tenures (and eventually won or still never won a SB), all had way more success as a coach by Year 8 than Garrett to justify their continued employment. Take Reid. He coached in 4 NFC Champ games and a SB by Year 8. Marv Levy is another coach who coached a long time and never won a SB. By Year 8 in Buffalo, he had coached in 5 AFC Champ games, and 4 SBs.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
Not really. The point is that SB winning coaches almost universally have some level of success in their first 8 years, even those who won a SB after Year 8. Take Cowher. Yes, he won his SB well after his 8th season. But through 8 seasons, he had given the Steelers enough on the field success to make it plausible he could eventually win one. Cowher, by the end of his 8th season, had already coached in a SB and another AFC Champ game.

In other words, if Jason Garrett had coached in a SB and another NFC Title game by this point, we'd all be having a much different discussion about his chances of winning a SB.

You seemingly forget that part of the analysis. That those coaches who had long tenures (and eventually won or still never won a SB), all had way more success as a coach by Year 8 than Garrett to justify their continued employment. Take Reid. He coached in 4 NFC Champ games and a SB by Year 8. Marv Levy is another coach who coached a long time and never won a SB. By Year 8 in Buffalo, he had coached in 5 AFC Champ games, and 4 SBs.

Fine. But that’s just to say that you don’t think Garrett has earned the right to hang around. Many would agree. That doesn’t mean that, having been allowed to hang around, he’s less likely to achieve ultimate success going forward. If anything, he’s probably statistically more likely.

bark

Reaction score
Jerry is absolutely right. I mean who among us thought Barry switzer would lead us to the promise land until BOOM “we did it our way baby “
I’ll just let myself out......