Recap: Jerry on the ticket

daveferr33

Reaction score
It was pretty much a continuation of last year. They were basically scoring at will. The only reason the bleeding stopped in the second half was because they went into lead management mode. If the Cowboy's offense didn't lay an egg, the 49ers would have continued to score at will.

I was baffled by the celebration over the defense by some on here Monday morning.

All I saw was a continuation of disturbing trends from last season:

The Niners still ran for 127 yards.

Kaepernick had a passer rating of 125.5

And the Niners converted around 60% of their third downs, going 7 for 12

All that, and the fact that they were in clock kill mode for three quarters does not provide much hope for the future.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm meh on the defense showing improvement over last season.

Give me a couple more games for a better evaluation.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm meh on the defense showing improvement over last season.

Give me a couple more games for a better evaluation.

I think it is a fair thing to ask for a few more games.

Just for the first game...I thought it was better than I figured it was going to be, but that is not saying that much as I thought it was going to be pretty bad to begin with lol.

Doomsay

Reaction score
1st possession: 3 plays, 80 yards and a TD in 1:28
2nd possession: 1 play, 2 yards and a TD in :06 (Not their fault, obviously)
3rd possession: 11 plays, 41 yards and a punt in 7:12
4th possession: 9 plays, 64 yards and a TD in 3:00

"Good" defensive performances like that will generate a loss in almost any game.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Anybody who believes the 49ers didn't go into major cruise-control / protect the insurmountable lead mode in the 2nd half is kidding themselves.

I think you can say that about the final two drives, however they threw 11 passes on the first three drives of the second half. That doesn't strike me as conservative. Make no mistake the Niners we're trying to score td's early in the second half.

erod

Reaction score
Dallas' only chance was a shooting match. When the Niners were gifted with a big lead early, Harbaugh took the air out of the ball and wound the clock. He handled it well.

Basically, we didn't see a game because Murray and Romo handed it to them on a silver platter.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I think you can say that about the final two drives, however they threw 11 passes on the first three drives of the second half. That doesn't strike me as conservative. Make no mistake the Niners we're trying to score td's early in the second half.

They were high percentage, low risk throws.

1. 5-D.Bailey kicks 65 yards from DAL 35 to end zone, Touchback. Ball was kicked out of the end zone.
  2. 1-10-SF 20(15:00) 7-C.Kaepernick pass incomplete short left to 15-M.Crabtree (54-B.Carter). Pass was knocked down at the line of scrimmage.
  3. 2-10-SF 20(14:54) 21-F.Gore up the middle to SF 20 for no gain (52-J.Durant).
  4. 3-10-SF 20(14:16) (Shotgun) 7-C.Kaepernick pass incomplete short middle to 85-V.Davis (42-B.Church). Pass was broken up at the SF 32
  5. 4-10-SF 20(14:10) (Punt formation) 4-A.Lee punts 51 yards to DAL 29, Center-86-K.Nelson. 17-D.Harris MUFFS catch, and recovers at DAL 30. 17-D.Harris to DAL 30 for no gain (57-M.Wilhoite).
  1. 1-10-SF 10(12:11) (Shotgun) 28-C.Hyde right end to SF 16 for 6 yards (39-B.Carr, 27-J.Wilcox).
  2. 2-4-SF 16(11:32) (Shotgun) 21-F.Gore left tackle to SF 16 for no gain (52-J.Durant).
  3. Timeout #1 by SF at 10:46.
  4. 3-4-SF 16(10:46) (Shotgun) 7-C.Kaepernick pass short left to 81-A.Boldin to SF 25 for 9 yards (24-M.Claiborne). Pass complete on a "button hook."
  5. 1-10-SF 25(10:00) (Shotgun) 7-C.Kaepernick pass incomplete short right to 84-B.Lloyd. PENALTY on DAL-54-B.Carter, Defensive Holding, 5 yards, enforced at SF 25 - No Play.
  6. 1-10-SF 30(9:52) 21-F.Gore left tackle to SF 34 for 4 yards (54-B.Carter; 55-R.McClain).
  7. 2-6-SF 34(9:10) 21-F.Gore left tackle to SF 35 for 1 yard (60-D.Coleman).
  8. 3-5-SF 35(8:25) (Shotgun) 7-C.Kaepernick pass short left to 13-S.Johnson to SF 47 for 12 yards (24-M.Claiborne). Pass complete on a "skinny post."
  9. 1-10-SF 47(7:46) 7-C.Kaepernick pass incomplete deep left to 85-V.Davis.
  10. 2-10-SF 47(7:44) (Shotgun) 7-C.Kaepernick pass intended for 15-M.Crabtree INTERCEPTED by 52-J.Durant [98-T.Crawford] at DAL 47. 52-J.Durant to 50 for 3 yards. FUMBLES, RECOVERED by SF-15-M.Crabtree at SF 43. 15-M.Crabtree to SF 43 for no gain (39-B.Carr). The Replay Official challenged the incomplete pass ruling, and the play was REVERSED. (Shotgun) 7-C.Kaepernick pass incomplete to 15-M.Crabtree (52-J.Durant) [98-T.Crawford].
  11. 3-10-SF 47(7:38) (Shotgun) 7-C.Kaepernick pass incomplete short left to 84-B.Lloyd. Pass incomplete sideline; Durant closest defender at the Dallas 40.
  12. 4-10-SF 47(7:33) (Punt formation) 4-A.Lee punts 40 yards to DAL 13, Center-86-K.Nelson, fair catch by 17-D.Harris.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
He said the nines played conservative in the second half and didn't allow turnovers to help get us back in it.
Garrett told the coaches to not focus on the" what if's" with regards to the turnovers and focus on what they did wrong.

He didn't feel they would have won if the turnovers didn't happen.

I would expect Jerry to say this but I am not sure I really agree with it. Kaepernick will give some back if you get him in a situation where there is pressure to make plays in the passing game. He's still a two read QB IMO.

He was never in that position with us but if the score were closer or if they were behind, he very well could have been throwing some picks himself.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I usually won't even open it and I don't typically listen at all but for some reason today I did and for the first time I listened to a man that's sounds like reality might be setting in....stay tuned

Reality may be setting in, but he aint giving up his GM responsibilities ANY TIME SOON!

khiladi

Reaction score
Prior to Sunday people were unsure if that was the case because they didn't score any points in the preseason with their 1st string on the field.

Are you saying we are going to need a miracle this year? :)

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can understand Tony calling off the run, to a degree, but for goodness sake Jerry, call him out on not throwing the ball away when the throw wasn't there. You want him to stop doing this? Call him out.

Yeah, gotta give the defense another week or 3 to get it together.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was baffled by the celebration over the defense by some on here Monday morning.

All I saw was a continuation of disturbing trends from last season:

The Niners still ran for 127 yards.

Kaepernick had a passer rating of 125.5

And the Niners converted around 60% of their third downs, going 7 for 12

All that, and the fact that they were in clock kill mode for three quarters does not provide much hope for the future.

Maybe you saw some posts that I didn't see, but I wouldn't characterize it as 'celebration.' We got soundly beat in the home opener. For the most part, I think people consider the defense to have played better than expected, but it's been mentioned many times here just how low expectations were.

Nobody would dispute that the Niners took the air out of the ball in the second half, either. But it's a mistake to pretend they weren't also wanting to score to protect their big lead against our offense. Tony had played really poorly in the first half, but we'd also moved the ball against them well on each of those drives.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As much as anything, that is the most frustrating part to me. It's difficult to draw any real conclusions because of the hole we were in from the beginning.

Agree. It's almost impossible to draw any real conclusions except that Romo was bad.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agree. It's almost impossible to draw any real conclusions except that Romo was bad.

Week one in the NFL is always so misleading, anyway. Any single game on offense or defense can be an anomaly. And teams start settling in only once they get a few weeks of film on each other. It's just such a shame Tony played so poorly because we really were moving the ball really well, and now it opens up so many question marks about an offense that really needs to be leading this team to wins instead of shooting us in the foot.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Posts in this thread bashing Jerry or Garrett will lead to account bannings!

There's a whole forum with a lot of threads for those discussions.

Reposting my previous warning so no one is surprised..