Twitter: Jerry on why he's the best GM for the Cowboys

ESisback

Reaction score
Yea there’s several fans on this site alone who have better eyes for talent and instincts on the weaknesses of this team. And what positions need to be addressed. Not to mention the ability to bring in a better HC and staff.

I think it was you who said 30 years of experience hasn’t made him a better GM

Yea , Jerry might be more qualified than a coach fAn but not necessarily better.

Let me guess, you’re one of the few with better eyes, right?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He does, with this caveat: he knows details the fans don’t, plus, he owns the team.

Also, while he’s unqualified because he’s a fan, aren’t the fans therefore unqualified to judge? Just sayin’...
Not all fans. Probably a very small portion would be better. Just like not all of the NFL GM’s have done better.

I’d agree he knows details and all of the ins and outs but it doesn’t mean a few select couch fans couldn’t do better .

kskboys

Reaction score
I want a different GM, but I disagree that he’s no better than a guy on the couch. If I had millions invested and had been immersed in it for 30 years, there is no doubt in my mind that I was more qualified than the couch guy. How can you not be?
Because he doesn't study the game. I doubt if he even knows what burst out of the breaks or sand in the pants means.

He has not been immersed in it.

kskboys

Reaction score
Let me guess, you’re one of the few with better eyes, right?
There are several on this site alone who have better eyes than Jerry Jones.

I generally read a ton of scouting reports, and have never pretended to be anywhere near as good as professional scouts. And this info is easily available. Why doesn't Jerry peruse it? It would have kept him from overpaying Brandon Carr and from drafting MO and Esco, amongst a few others.

kskboys

Reaction score
No, I’m probably not. But I might consider Kevin.
Possibly. However, I'd have to start spending an extraordinary amount of time on tape and such, and I do not have the time.

I'm better at taking info and summarizing and putting it all together. I'd be better at looking at the pos/neg's of players we're looking at and concluding if we should bite or not.

I'd have to undergo a ton of training to simply watch raw footage and deduce the prospects w/ the best chance to succeed. Thanks for the compliment, though.

75boyz

Reaction score
Possibly. However, I'd have to start spending an extraordinary amount of time on tape and such, and I do not have the time.

I'm better at taking info and summarizing and putting it all together. I'd be better at looking at the pos/neg's of players we're looking at and concluding if we should bite or not.

I'd have to undergo a ton of training to simply watch raw footage and deduce the prospects w/ the best chance to succeed. Thanks for the compliment, though.

Classy, nice post to you both.

Valkyr

Reaction score
Just imagine where we'd be if Washington wasn't owned by Dan Snyder and someone competent instead.

khiladi

Reaction score
This guy is trying to take credit from the Jimmy Johnson era as a justification for his GM-ship. When the heat is on, this man turns to the Jimmy Johnson era. It’s clear Johnson getting all the credit still bothers him.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure you OK’d the decisions back then, but your OK then was, well Jimmy said it, so we are going to do it.

ESisback

Reaction score
Because he doesn't study the game. I doubt if he even knows what burst out of the breaks or sand in the pants means.

He has not been immersed in it.

He’s been in the locker room, the War Room, and around the players and coaches and scouts and media people for decades. We haven’t.

ESisback

Reaction score
There are several on this site alone who have better eyes than Jerry Jones.

I generally read a ton of scouting reports, and have never pretended to be anywhere near as good as professional scouts. And this info is easily available. Why doesn't Jerry peruse it? It would have kept him from overpaying Brandon Carr and from drafting MO and Esco, amongst a few others.

Let’s just agree to disagree, ok? You’re not gonna change my mind. Yes, I want a real GM. But I don’t consider myself or any other fan posting here a more qualified option.

cowboyed

Reaction score
This guy is trying to take credit from the Jimmy Johnson era as a justification for his GM-ship. When the heat is on, this man turns to the Jimmy Johnson era. It’s clear Johnson getting all the credit still bothers him.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure you OK’d the decisions back then, but your OK then was, well Jimmy said it, so we are going to do it.

I think fans thanks to the drama churning sports media overreacted Jerry being obsessed with taking credit and being envious of Jimmy Johnson. The sports media did a good job cooking things up worse than what they were. Truth is they both deserved credit and Jerry has acknowledged Jimmy greatly contributed to their success.

In reality Jimmy Johnson is a guy that beats to his own drum. He was not planning to be a long term coach anyway. Jimmy left to add more challenge to his career and got the gig with the Dolphins not only to head coach but general manage. He fell short of his expectations despite having the general management reins as well and after that humiliating loss against the Jaguars HE QUIT COACHING. Jimmy like Parcells is not one to stick at doing one thing forever especially when things go upside down on him.

Jerry and Jimmy were an awesome partnership and good friends in the 90s. But you know familiarity often builds contempt. This doesn't take away from Jimmy Johnson being one of the greatest coaches the Cowboys ever had, short term.

kskboys

Reaction score
Let’s just agree to disagree, ok? You’re not gonna change my mind. Yes, I want a real GM. But I don’t consider myself or any other fan posting here a more qualified option.
You'd have to ignore a ton of great input from several extremely knowledgeable fans to come to that conclusion.

However, it simply wouldn't take much. Jerry does such a terrible job, it would be easy to take a knowledgeable fan, immerse him in NFL football, and that fan would easily out GM Jerry.

kskboys

Reaction score
He’s been in the locker room, the War Room, and around the players and coaches and scouts and media people for decades. We haven’t.
OK, then explain Esco, Mo, and Brandon Carr if Jerry is such a good GM.

He's making basic, basic mistakes. Randy Gregory. McFadden/Underroos.

It's like you're seeing the proof, but still insisting on a viewpoint that doesn't make any sense.

khiladi

Reaction score
Jerry
I think fans thanks to the drama churning sports media overreacted Jerry being obsessed with taking credit and being envious of Jimmy Johnson. The sports media did a good job cooking things up worse than what they were. Truth is they both deserved credit and Jerry has acknowledged Jimmy greatly contributed to their success.

In reality Jimmy Johnson is a guy that beats to his own drum. He was not planning to be a long term coach anyway. Jimmy left to add more challenge to his career and got the gig with the Dolphins not only to head coach but general manage. He fell short of his expectations despite having the general management reins as well and after that humiliating loss against the Jaguars HE QUIT COACHING. Jimmy like Parcells is not one to stick at doing one thing forever especially when things go upside down on him.

Jerry and Jimmy were an awesome partnership and good friends in the 90s. But you know familiarity often builds contempt. This doesn't take away from Jimmy Johnson being one of the greatest coaches the Cowboys ever had, short term.

Jerry is a joke. If he truly believed it, Jimmy Johnson would have been in the ROH by now.

And JJ was never really into Miami either. And Marino was effectively done by then. He only took it for the pay and it was close by his boat.

RichmondFan

Reaction score
How'd you like those 3 Super Bowls?
Jimmy Johnson was the brain child of getting the players for that dynasty. Jimmy's idea to trade Walker, Jimmy's ideas of who to draft with all those picks, and Jimmy's ability to develop and motivate them! Jerry did swing the deal and did have a say in who they drafted, but he empowered Jimmy more than any coach since.

ESisback

Reaction score
You'd have to ignore a ton of great input from several extremely knowledgeable fans to come to that conclusion.

However, it simply wouldn't take much. Jerry does such a terrible job, it would be easy to take a knowledgeable fan, immerse him in NFL football, and that fan would easily out GM Jerry.

Probably so, AFTER a few years. Everyone needs time to acclimate.

ESisback

Reaction score
OK, then explain Esco, Mo, and Brandon Carr if Jerry is such a good GM.

He's making basic, basic mistakes. Randy Gregory. McFadden/Underroos.

It's like you're seeing the proof, but still insisting on a viewpoint that doesn't make any sense.

I keep saying I want a different GM, but you seem determined to focus only on forum fans that know more than Jerry. Also, every FO makes mistakes. We focus on ours because it’s our team. It’s mostly negative because we’ve gone 25 years without a Lombardi.

kskboys

Reaction score
I keep saying I want a different GM, but you seem determined to focus only on forum fans that know more than Jerry. Also, every FO makes mistakes. We focus on ours because it’s our team. It’s mostly negative because we’ve gone 25 years without a Lombardi.
Not me. You asked the question, you just don't like the answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!