Jerry open to trading down

mrmojo

Reaction score
The logic doesn't make sense to me.

Their board is based on "grades" so yeah they may have only 14 sure fire 1st round grades.

But they can't tell me that the 15th best player on their board is the same as the 24th just like they can't tell me the 24th best player on their board is as good as the 38th.

I don't claim to know the game more than guys on this site because there are some very smart football minds here.

But when it comes to roster building and drafts I have watched every draft for the past 24 years. I've specifically have studied how this team approaches these drafts for the past 24 years. And this is not a good idea thinking an extra draft pick is smarter than taking the best player available. It has burned us more times than not.

But this is the hole you fall into when you try to build strictly by the draft. You start doing stupid things and forcing things. Follow your board. Don't get too cute.
They'll get cute...... and pat themselves on the back for being geniuses.

jujoboys

Reaction score
I wish Jerry was also open to stepping down. Any trade he makes scares me because we are usually on the losing end of it.

MikeT22

Reaction score
The problem is that they can't just draft BPA.

They have pretty much backed themselves into having to land at least one if not two offensive line starters in the first two rounds.
The way I see it is they’ve written off this season with hardly any FA activity and most coaches on 1 yr deals.
This would be a great time to draft BPA instead of trying to fill one or two crucial needs.

And it’s not as if we don’t have 7-8 needs.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Trade down options to stay in 1st round: (Note that teams trading up typically pay a premium over the rate to move up - either in draft points or in number of picks)

Trade pick 24 (740 draft points) - Dallas trades down in 1st round for another 1st round pick, plus additional compensation:
  • Tampa Bay - picks 26 & 125 (747 points)
  • Arizona - picks 27 & 104 (766 points)
  • Buffalo - picks 28, 128 & 144 (738 points)
  • Baltimore - picks 30 & 93 (748 points)
  • San Francisco - picks 31, 94 & 124 (772 points)
  • San Francisco - picks 31, 94 & 176 (745 points)

Trade pick 24 & 87 (895 points) - Dallas trades 1st & 3rd round picks for 1st and 2nd round pick from another team, plus possible additional compensation
  • Detroit - picks 29 & 61 (938 points)
  • Kansas City - picks 32, 64 & 131 (901 points)
I have no idea how likely any of these trade scenarios are, but these are how the Cowboys could either receive a premium in value and/or extra picks by trading down with any of the teams picking below them in the 1st round.

Trade down options where Cowboys do not pick in the 1st round:
  • Cowboys trade pick 24 to Washington for picks 36 & 67 (795 points)
  • Cowboys trade pick 24 Washington for picks 36 & 78 (740 points)
  • Cowboys trade pick 24 to Washington for picks 40 & 67 (755 points)
  • Cowboys trade pick 24 & 87 to Arizona for picks 35, 66 & 104 (896 points)

Chasing6

Reaction score
Interest how with our horrific run D last year and after losing 2 DT's and 2 DE's, we only invited 1 DT and 1 DE to our 30 visits. We also had 1 TE and 1 WR visit, so you can see the level of concern from our brain trust.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The way I see it is they’ve written off this season with hardly any FA activity and most coaches on 1 yr deals.
This would be a great time to draft BPA instead of trying to fill one or two crucial needs.

That would be great if they just decided to go full tank, but the issue is that this front office will never do that. They are firmly committed to always fielding a mediocre at worst team.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I will be shocked if this isn't one of the all time horse €€€ drafts. They have put way too much pressure on themselves. Gonna be really bad.

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score

This X 100. As dumb as the FO is, even they know 2024 is a wash. Jerry knew it as soon as he went into the locker room to give a pep talk after the Green Bay nightmare.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Exactly. Jerry plays checkers and Cap Boy can't even play checkers. Don't embarrass us any further.
It never ceases to amaze me how many people think they are smarter than a man who has built and maintained a multibillion dollar empire of sports, entertainment, real estate, and resource development companies.

I’m not saying I think Jerry has been a football genius. But the notion that he struggles to play checkers just boggles my mind. How arrogant do you have to be to believe that? Also, on just a personal level, how many of us would love to build a business where our children and grandchildren could participate with us at the level that Jerry has done. Whatever you may think of him morally (and he has done some morally despicable things) or in a football sense, how can anyone truly believe the man is a dunce? I just cannot imagine someone actually believes that is true.