Jerry open to trading down

Flamma

Reaction score
Yeah I guess I should say if they get a good deal i'm for it but typically they don't.
It's a risky move. Trading back only makes sense in a few situations. Because why would you want an inferior player?

1. The 49ers gave up a king's ransom to trade up for Lance. I forgot what team traded back, but that was worth it.
2. You have to know the board. Sometimes the players left between pick 20 and pick 31 are all equally talented. So you're not losing much, and you're getting the extra pick.
3. You trade back because the player you want will still be there.

Other than those specific reasons, I'm not trading back.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Why have they done that? Its important they get the best players they can....they can't take the approach of feeling the pressure to find starters this year......this is how mistakes happen.

Getting beat player available works if you are good at trading players.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
How so? They like Bass and Hoffman and said they are comfortable with them starting
I guarantee to you that they are picking offensive line in the first or second rounds. I wouldn't be surprised if offensive line (LT + C) comprises two picks in rounds 1, 2, and 3.

Bass and Hoffman are fine (Bass in particular is an NFL starter IMO. Hoffman appears to barely be serviceable) but if I had to guess, they would strongly prefer to keep Tyler at LG where he is All-Pro versus LT where he is just good.

In all likelihood they really want a starting LT in the 1st if the right player is there, but will go for center if Barton or JPJ are available at 24 and they're wiped out at tackle. I'm pretty confident they will reach for a flawed tackle prospect like Tyler Guyton or Patrick Paul if they are the highest rated offensive linemen left on the board in the 1st.

BleedSilverandBlue

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Why have they done that? Its important they get the best players they can....they can't take the approach of feeling the pressure to find starters this year......this is how mistakes happen.
Because they have not made great decisions by completely sitting out FA this offseason and they WILL be drafting for need in the first three rounds.

They need starters at OL, LB, and RB likely all in the first three rounds. It really is not a great place to be, but it's where we're at.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
We better hope a player the Joneses like is sitting there at 24 because if we trade down especially out of the first round it increases our odds we’ll miss with the pick. We all know our track record in the second round. We really need to nail our first two picks.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I guarantee to you that they are picking offensive line in the first or second rounds. I wouldn't be surprised if offensive line (LT + C) comprises two picks in rounds 1, 2, and 3.
That's not what you said. You said "They have pretty much backed themselves into having to land at least one if not two offensive line starters in the first two rounds." and that just isn't true.

I agree they will take one in the 1st or second though.

Chasing6

Reaction score

Bass and Hoffman are fine (Bass in particular is an NFL starter IMO. Hoffman appears to barely be serviceable) but if I had to guess, they would strongly prefer to keep Tyler at LG where he is All-Pro versus LT where he is just good.

In all likelihood they really want a starting LT in the 1st if the right player is there, but will go for center if Barton or JPJ are available at 24 and they're wiped out at tackle. I'm pretty confident they will reach for a flawed tackle prospect like Tyler Guyton or Patrick Paul if they are the highest rated offensive linemen left on the board in the 1st.
Well you are thinking very logical. That could be your mistake.

plasticman

Reaction score
They should trade down. There is just too wide a gap between pick #87 and #174/

BleedSilverandBlue

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
That's not what you said. You said "They have pretty much backed themselves into having to land at least one if not two offensive line starters in the first two rounds." and that just isn't true.

Yes, and I stand by that. Both of my posts directly back up that view.

Quote 1: "They have pretty much backed themselves into having to land at least one if not two offensive line starters in the first two rounds."

Quote 2: "I guarantee to you that they are picking offensive line in the first or second rounds. I wouldn't be surprised if offensive line (LT + C) comprises two picks in rounds 1, 2, and 3."

These two claims are 100% compatible and coherent.

How isn't it true? You think it is acceptable to roll with two UDFA talents as starters on your offensive line with nearly zero depth behind them? I am very confident that Jerry and Co (or any sane NFL front office) REALLY don't want to start both Bass and Hoffman at the same time. You only want one of those guys out there at most. They know that they have to get at least one offensive line starter in the first two rounds and insider reports that I have been reading/listening to from Dane Brugler, Broadus, and Schefter have been backing this claim up over the entire draft process.
So you agree with me? I don't understand what you are trying to prove or debunk about my claims here.

Last edited:

Chasing6

Reaction score
Yes, and I stand by that. Both of my posts directly back up that view.

Quote 1: "They have pretty much backed themselves into having to land at least one if not two offensive line starters in the first two rounds."

Quote 2: "I guarantee to you that they are picking offensive line in the first or second rounds. I wouldn't be surprised if offensive line (LT + C) comprises two picks in rounds 1, 2, and 3."

These two claims are 100% compatible and coherent.

How isn't it true? You think it is acceptable to roll with two UDFA talents as starters on your offensive line with nearly zero depth behind them? I am very confident that Jerry and Co (or any sane NFL front office) REALLY don't want to start both Bass and Hoffman at the same time. You only want one of those guys out there at most. They know that they have to get at least one offensive line starter in the first two rounds and insider reports that I have been reading/listening to from Dane Brugler, Broadus, and Schefter have been backing this claim up over the entire draft process.

So you agree with me? I don't understand what you are trying to prove or debunk about my claims here.
"Being confident with Jerry" is an oxymoron.

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
I'm calling it now:

We trade our first for Houston's second round pick. Brilliant!