Jerry, please do not sign AP

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I don't get the number of fans salivating about the prospects of signing Peterson. That would mean we gaffed off Murray who is younger and home grown. How do you think the rest of the team is going to perceive that? I don't think very favorably. It would be a typical Jerry move from years past. I hope he's still past that kind of reckless behavior and doesn't fall back on his clueless fan like actions of the past.

bounce

Reaction score
I don't get the number of fans salivating about the prospects of signing Peterson. That would mean we gaffed off Murray who is younger and home grown. How do you think the rest of the team is going to perceive that? I don't think very favorably. It would be a typical Jerry move from years past. I hope he's still past that kind of reckless behavior and doesn't fall back on his clueless fan like actions of the past.

I think the rest of the players are going to see it exactly as it is, and as they would have seen it, anyway. As a business.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

I don't think it would bother the players at all. They know this is a business, and the league is mostly one big fraternity anyway.

It all really comes down to price. What will it take to get Peterson compared to what it will take to re-sign Murray.

I'd personally rather have Peterson because I believe he's the better player (still), but if you can get Murray for four years at the same price you can get Peterson, I'd take Murray because of age and most recent production.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
If AP helps us win, the players won't care. In fact, most of them know it's a business.

I'm not going to worry about this. The way I see it, in any scenario, the Cowboys emerge smelling like roses. Why?

1. We sign Murray, we maintain continuity.
2. We sign AP, we'll be getting a determined back with something to prove and a back who is better than Murray.
3. We sign neither, we search for a back in the open market. Mark Ingram, whom Jason Garrett wanted when he came out, is available. We sign a hungry Ingram, who is finally healthy, relatively speaking, of course, for a running back.
4. We sign neither Murray, AP or Ingram and possible grab Todd Gurley or Melvin Gordon in the draft, and they step in and our running game doesn't lose a beat.
5. We sign a FA (Ingram) then select another of the available backs in the draft (Johnson, Yeldon, Abdullah, Coleman) not named Gurley or Gordon.

I'm really not worried about the running back position, especially with this line. The defensive line? Very worried. Running back? Nope.

JBS

Reaction score
If you don't want to sign Peterson, fine....at least have good reasons for it

And there are many that are out there

DenCWBY

Reaction score
I think the rest of the players are going to see it exactly as it is, and as they would have seen it, anyway. As a business.

And they would also see that they now have arguably the best RB in the NFL. I don't think there will be any tears at Valley Ranch for that.

dfense

Reaction score

Don't overrate Murray either. He's a mid round pick, injured for a lot of his career until this year. A contract year. He's a one cut downhill runner. Took him three years to finally break 1000 yards. He can be replaced through the draft. His pass catching and blitz pickup will be missed more than his running skill.

And I'm sure the rest of the team knows the business side of it. And the 300k guy blocking for the 35mil RB is going to get mad? what?

The message they will get is "Bring your A game every week because you can be replaced." Sounds like Jimmy Johnson wisdom to me.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Don't overrate Murray either. He's a mid round pick, injured for a lot of his career until this year. A contract year. He's a one cut downhill runner. Took him three years to finally break 1000 yards. He can be replaced through the draft. His pass catching and blitz pickup will be missed more than his running skill.

And I'm sure the rest of the team knows the business side of it. And the 300k guy blocking for the 35mil RB is going to get mad? what?

The message they will get is "Bring your A game every week because you can be replaced." Sounds like Jimmy Johnson wisdom to me.

I'm not overrating Murray. Breakout performances during a contract year raises red flags to me. But I think it sends a bad message to the players and maybe even the coaches to dump Murray after all that's been said by Garrett and some players about how important Murray is to the attitude of the team.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I'm not overrating Murray. Breakout performances during a contract year raises red flags to me. But I think it sends a bad message to the players and maybe even the coaches to dump Murray after all that's been said by Garrett and some players about how important Murray is to the attitude of the team.

How Garrett doesn't sign check, any coach in the same situation would play good cop to the ownership "bad cop". When you build a locker room on loyalty, and respect you can say whatever you like when it comes to FA because guess what JG could want murray back 100% but he doesn't make those decisions so he is insulated.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score

Couldn't that be attributed to the Oline finally being good and our commitment to running the ball?
I doubt Murray will gain ridicules yards again but he may, and may be able to do it for a few more years.
AP got another year older and only performed a special year once also.
He may be able to do it again behind this line but for a year?
Giving up a big part of the offensive success for a what if is crazy talk to me.

PS: I await your reply stash:)

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
How Garrett doesn't sign check, any coach in the same situation would play good cop to the ownership "bad cop". When you build a locker room on loyalty, and respect you can say whatever you like when it comes to FA because guess what JG could want murray back 100% but he doesn't make those decisions so he is insulated.

I hope JG has a strong voice though. Not just for this but how the team is built overall.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It all comes down to cost. If you get a better player at what you think is a better value, you do it. I think there's very little doubt who the better player is. The question's going to boil down to value, then, where the salaries for both players are open variables.

Throw in the third option of using that cap money for a pass rusher and a draft pick on a younger back and the question is even more interesting.

I have to say, though, with the structure of both potential RB deals an unknown, I'm puzzled that anyone would be against having Peterson in a Cowboy uniform. Unless they were just straight-up disapproving of him as a person for the switching incident. He's a great palyer and a legitimate superstar.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
It all comes down to cost. If you get a better player at what you think is a better value, you do it. I think there's very little doubt who the better player is. The question's going to boil down to value, then, where the salaries for both players are open variables.

Throw in the third option of using that cap money for a pass rusher and a draft pick on a younger back and the question is even more interesting.

I have to say, though, with the structure of both potential RB deals an unknown, I'm puzzled that anyone would be against having Peterson in a Cowboy uniform. Unless they were just straight-up disapproving of him as a person for the switching incident. He's a great palyer and a legitimate superstar.

He's old for a team that is moving to youth. We are already old at QB and TE on offense. Heck we are pretty near crippled at QB

Reactions: BAT

Craig

Reaction score
All else equal, id rather have AP. Im not sure, based on cost, that id want wither of them.

NEODOG

44cowboys22
Reaction score
At this point.... I'll take a rested AP vs 409+ carry last year Murray

He is going to paid and quite frankly, I don't blame him. This is his shot at contract....