Jerry said, "I would do anything to win another Super Bowl"

TwentyOne

Reaction score
First off, that's a lie, Jerrah. You wouldn't take your clammy hands off the wheel & allow real professionals to run your team. You wouldn't let them build a top ten defense through the draft. (Of course, the way they mis-judge pass rushing talent, I wouldn't let the current crew do it either). Randy Gregory & Taco Charlton-2 picks ahead of TJ Watt-come to mind.

If you truly want to see the Cowboys win it all, sell the team. But, just one more thing you wouldn't do.

The guy tells you exactly what the uneducated majority of the American population believes (min. 95%).

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
One more note.. as much as Jerry is an amazing businessman I absolutely hate the circus atmosphere he helps to create around the team. I think that aspect of his business vision places the Cowboys at a competitive disadvantage. Maybe it's only a tiny bit but games are often won or lost by the tiniest of margins and anything that detracts from the the guys being 100% focused on football during football season is a net negative to me. Having thousands of fans milling about often on the field with the team during Saturday walk-throughs is sheer madness. I have a picture I took during walk throughs a few years ago where I was on the stadium tour and was down on the sidelines during walk throughs. In it I am maybe 15 feet from Dez as he lined up to run a route. And I was far from the only fan down there. That has to be distracting for the players. Again, maybe it's a small difference.. but a lot of small things add up to a few big ones. Maybe Covid will keep them from being able to do that again this year (like it did last year).. which would be fine by me.
That was so exciting. I’m only 20 minutes from Gillette Stadium. I remember the first practice with Bill Parcells and Drew Bledsoe. I said Bill I love the enthusiasm. I was the only person he turned and looked at and made a comment to me. That was exciting in itself

RonnieT24

Reaction score
All the clown has to do is back off and hire real football people to run the show. Let the coaches voice be the only one in the locker room. Since he can’t do those two simple things it shows how much of a BS statement this is.

Jerry and Stephen have been at this for 32 years.. Are you of the opinion that 30 years of experience is not enough? You'd have to fire half the GMs in the league using that barometer.

Cmac

Reaction score
JJ should start by hoisting Jimmy in the Ring of Honor.....maybe, just maybe all the bad karma will go away.

JonesBoys

Reaction score
Jerry and Stephen have been at this for 32 years.. Are you of the opinion that 30 years of experience is not enough? You'd have to fire half the GMs in the league using that barometer.

Experience at what? Being mediocre for over 2 decades? And to use your analogy if any other GM in the league had the track record Jerry had do you think he would still have a job? The only reason Jerry is the GM is because he owns the team plain and simple.
Don’t give me the early 90’s as proof for Jerry. The only thing he did smart as the owner at that time was hire Jimmy and let him run the team. I will give Jerry credit for that.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

:muttley:

You keep touting years of experience like it's the ultimate measuring stick. It means something if you have a position where you could actually be fired. If you give yourselves jobs-for-life, regardless of results, it just means you can screw up for decades (and apparently some fans will still defend you).

You can miss the playoffs 14 times since 2000, and still have your jobs. You can fail to advance beyond the divisional round for 25 years and still have your jobs.

A quarter century of incompetence is hardly the kind of "experience" anyone in their right mind would hire. Jerry & Son are running the only team that would let them.

kskboys

Reaction score
Let's see, define experience: Refusing to watch tape, making odd/bad draft picks consistently, wasting 2nd round picks, not even being aware first the OLine and then the DLine were disintegrating right before your eyes, not having any sort of blueprint for success, not understanding why teams win super bowls, no understanding of the importance of S's and DT's, not knowing what lateral agility and burst are, not being interested in learning. Is that enough?

No, Ron, in this case 30 years of experience is not enough. For thickheaded morons, there prolly isn't enough time.

kskboys

Reaction score
:muttley:

You keep touting years of experience like it's the ultimate measuring stick. It means something if you have a position where you could actually be fired. If you give yourselves jobs-for-life, regardless of results, it just means you can screw up for decades (and apparently some fans will still defend you).

You can miss the playoffs 14 times since 2000, and still have your jobs. You can fail to advance beyond the divisional round for 25 years and still have your jobs.

A quarter century of incompetence is hardly the kind of "experience" anyone in their right mind would hire. Jerry & Son are running the only team that would let them.
Sorta like sleeping under an oak tree would make you an expert on oak trees.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You confuse experience with expertise. Doing something for a long time doesn't make someone better at it.

Have they learned anything or do they keep committing the same mistakes?

I have seen this time issue applied to this before and it is totally bogus. All Booger has done is change some of the voices in his ears but he still does what he wants to do because once the path got corrected in the early 90's by his HC, the franchise has been a money maker as long as he can keep getting some stars for the Big Top. The fans do not demand a winner but they must be entertained. He does that very well.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
You confuse experience with expertise. Doing something for a long time doesn't make someone better at it.

No actually I don't. I prefaced my remarks by stating that I make not assertions about how GOOD the Joneses have been at their "jobs." That they are good or bad has never been my point. My point is that people keep coming with the same "hire real football people" refrain to which I respond if the Joneses are not "football people" after 32 years then what are they? Many of the "football people" being touted to replace them have been at it considerably less time. What makes anyone so certain that those people would do any better. There are quite a few teams that have NOT fared as well as the Cowboys over the past 25 years.. all while employing "real football people." The point is that if there was some magic elixir which guaranteed success someone would already have bottled it. Many Hall of Fame GMs have been fired and/or run out of places after a while. Some of them after winning or getting to Super Bowls. As with most things in life nothing is guaranteed. How do people think Ron Wolf, Bruce Allen, Bobby Beathard, Bill Pollian, Carmen Policy and the like got a chance to build multiple teams ... Simple.. they were let go from other places.

Have they learned anything or do they keep committing the same mistakes?

I have seen this time issue applied to this before and it is totally bogus. All Booger has done is change some of the voices in his ears but he still does what he wants to do because once the path got corrected in the early 90's by his HC, the franchise has been a money maker as long as he can keep getting some stars for the Big Top. The fans do not demand a winner but they must be entertained. He does that very well.

Again I can't stand the circus atmosphere that surrounds this team which Jerry openly covets. But until one of us hits it big in bitcoin and can buy the team from him there is little or nothing we can do about that aspect of it. So I tend not to spend a whole lot of time worrying about it. I think as long as he gets the right players and coaches the team can accomplish what it needs to accomplish in spite of it. The circus just makes it incrementally harder IMHO.. Harder but not impossible. This franchise is probably a couple of tough breaks from already hoisting one or two more Lombardis. I think the 2014 team had the goods as did they 2016 bunch. Maybe even the 2007 bunch but I don't know that I would have trusted Wade's defense to put the necessary pressure on Brady to stop that 2007 Pats team. He certainly didn't during the regular season meeting. Which if I'm not mistaken is one of only two trips to Dallas Brady ever made. How the hell does that work.. Seems like we're always playing the Pats up in the frozen north. Usually late in the season. Further evidence that Goodell hates us.. But I digress.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Let's see, define experience: Refusing to watch tape, making odd/bad draft picks consistently, wasting 2nd round picks, not even being aware first the OLine and then the DLine were disintegrating right before your eyes, not having any sort of blueprint for success, not understanding why teams win super bowls, no understanding of the importance of S's and DT's, not knowing what lateral agility and burst are, not being interested in learning. Is that enough?

No, Ron, in this case 30 years of experience is not enough. For thickheaded morons, there prolly isn't enough time.

Never said it was enough to make them GOOD. But it is certainly enough to quit classifying them as "non-football people."

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Ridiculous! He won three of them....some of you people are ungrateful and have no clue.....

Many would.....if they are good, they can manipulate Jerry and win.....they need to know their place, Jimmy didn't....

tenor.gif

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Never said it was enough to make them GOOD. But it is certainly enough to quit classifying them as "non-football people."

Okay, so they are football people with a quarter century track record of incompetence and no accountability. Glad we cleared that up.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys won 20 playoff games from 1960-1988. That’s when the Cowboys became America’s Team. The name was given in 1978, a decade before Jerry ever touched this franchise. They have won 15 playoff games since he bought it- 11 of them from 1991-96. Four playoff wins in the last 25 yrs. That’s a complete testament to his time as the dominant force here.

Jerry bought the most iconic bulletproof sports brand next to the Yankees. He’s certainly added monetary value, but he did NOT create that value. He bought the most beloved football team in the world. He hired a hall of fame coach in 1989 that coach put together one of the best rosters in NFL history. And Jerry has done little on his own since.

. Every franchise in the NFL is worth more. Its like the expression "the rising tide raises all boats." Jerry's aggressive TV negotiating on behalf of the NFL grew the money in the game for everybody not just Dallas and made all the franchises proportionally more valuable. He may have caused the "rising tide, but he already had the most valuable brand in the NFL. The team may have been financially mismanaged in the years prior to his ownership but that has nothing to do with the brand itself which was already established........as you said above.

He also destroyed the game day experience for real fans and home field advantage in his pursuit of something bigger and better. But the Cowboys have always been secondary to his own personal pursuit of fame and glory. In the 70's and 80's few even knew who owned the cowboys.