Jerry said, "I would do anything to win another Super Bowl"

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah nobody ever heard of the Dallas Cowboys before him.

They were in bad financial shape but Jerry couldn't have done here in Cincinnati. It's the Cowboys' mystique that allowed him to turn them into the most valuable.

To say he created it is an overstatement and disrespectful to the guys who truly built it.
Absolute truth. Jerry acts like he’s the beginning and end of this thing.

He didn’t buy then rescue the Browns. He bought a bullet proof sports juggernaut that had temporary financial cash flow problems- and he did fix those problems. But he acts like he bought the Titanic and fixed it. This franchise was “America’s Team” over 20 years before he ever touched it.

Under Schramm and Landry, the Cowboys won 20 of the team’s total playoff wins in the team’s first 30 years of existence. Jerry has owned the team 33 years, overseeing 15 playoff wins- 11 of them in the first 8 years of his time as owner. And as we all know, 4 playoff wins the last 25 years; which are the years he’s been the face and centerpiece of this franchise. If that old fart was really willing to “do anything” to win another SB he would have already done it.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I don’t hold grudges, I don’t put people on ignore. Everybody has a right to their own opinion. And I don’t hold grudges again. In case it didn’t sink in the first time

I see that I have charmed one more cadet.
:)
Let us take a drink from the furry cup of friendship!

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
You are spot on. This carnival barker has done everything to not win championships. It started with firing a HOF coach during a bender and continues with wasting 10 years on a fraud ex back up QB that clearly has studied Machiavelli. The culture is not about winning football and it starts and stops with this clown and his stupid son.
Jerry wasted 10 years trying to prove himself right about Garrett.

I wonder if Stephan ever got jealous at how much Jerry loved that loser Garrett?

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Mark my words Stephen is worse. Cheap. Non of Jerry’s charm. Just as arrogant. That guy is a disaster.
I always say if we win anything it's going to be in spite of the Jones family at this point and I expect to fall apart the season after we win it.

Because if they've proven anything since 1995 it's that they cannot, under any circumstance, build on successful seasons.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Yeah nobody ever heard of the Dallas Cowboys before him.

They were in bad financial shape but Jerry couldn't have done here in Cincinnati. It's the Cowboys' mystique that allowed him to turn them into the most valuable.

To say he created it is an overstatement and disrespectful to the guys who truly built it.
I thought we were Bro’s Bro?

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
First off, that's a lie, Jerrah. You wouldn't take your clammy hands off the wheel & allow real professionals to run your team. You wouldn't let them build a top ten defense through the draft. (Of course, the way they mis-judge pass rushing talent, I wouldn't let the current crew do it either). Randy Gregory & Taco Charlton-2 picks ahead of TJ Watt-come to mind.

If you truly want to see the Cowboys win it all, sell the team. But, just one more thing you wouldn't do.
Except step down as GM, period

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Jerry has been the GM of this team for 32 years.. Whether people accept it or not but he's probably one of the most experienced GMs in the game at this point. We can hand wring all day as whether he's any good at his job but he absolutely HAS been doing longer than probably 75% of GMs in the league now.
32 years? Feels a lot like 2 years' experience 16 times

kskboys

Reaction score
If he had a guarantee he could find someone that did a better job I think he would. EXCEPT he would absolutely want to be involved and have input. The problem is that he doesn't believe there is someone out there that warrants that type of decision.

Disclaimer: I'm not offering an opinion on his decision not to. I am only illustrating what I believe to be his thought process.
Holy Larry, if he truly believes no one would be better, then he is truly off his rocker.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Is he still trotting that old chestnut out there through crocodile tears? We all know that's a steaming pile. Too bad the SOFT lapdogs in the Dallas media don't call BS on that.
Bringing the wood,!!!
Wow!!!

kskboys

Reaction score
Jerry has been the GM of this team for 32 years.. Whether people accept it or not but he's probably one of the most experienced GMs in the game at this point. We can hand wring all day as whether he's any good at his job but he absolutely HAS been doing longer than probably 75% of GMs in the league now.
.....badly.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
First off, that's a lie, Jerrah. You wouldn't take your clammy hands off the wheel & allow real professionals to run your team. You wouldn't let them build a top ten defense through the draft. (Of course, the way they mis-judge pass rushing talent, I wouldn't let the current crew do it either). Randy Gregory & Taco Charlton-2 picks ahead of TJ Watt-come to mind.

If you truly want to see the Cowboys win it all, sell the team. But, just one more thing you wouldn't do.

I think he would take his hands off the wheel if he knew that it would lead to a Super Bowl victory. However, Jerry believes the best chance Dallas has of winning a Super Bowl is with him as GM. Call it delusional, but that's different than a lie.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Wow. That's so impressive how he could buy his way in and then not die.

gimmesix

Reaction score
It's just so pathetic that nobody in the media has the balls to follow that up with "Would you make a change at GM?"

They won't do it. They're scared to do it. They like their access. The last guy who did was shipped to NBA coverage, if I'm not mistake.

Jerry Jones is an egomaniacal lying lunatic.

He's answered that question before.

kskboys

Reaction score
I think he would take his hands off the wheel if he knew that it would lead to a Super Bowl victory. However, Jerry believes the best chance Dallas has of winning a Super Bowl is with him as GM. Call it delusional, but that's different than a lie.
Which shows him as seriously demented. Dude has admitted to the world that he should've been fired as GM. So, I'm not sure that what you're saying is true.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Which shows him as seriously demented. Dude has admitted to the world that he should've been fired as GM. So, I'm not sure that what you're saying is true.

He said that with some very circular logic, essentially circling back to his belief that he gives the team the best chance of winning.

“When you work for yourself, there’s no firing him. You got to change him, and he’s got to change the direction he’s going. I’ve worked all my life for myself, but I’ve had to change directions many times. So, I will change. I can change. I’m not saying which way (I’ll change). But I’m capable of change. I’ve had to (in order to) have any success in my life.”

Here's the quote you're referencing about firing himself as GM:

"Well, I think so, because he was there to dismiss. I've always worked for myself and you can't do that. You basically have to straighten that guy out in the mirror when you work for yourself. But certainly, if I'd had the discretion, I've done it with coaches and certainly I would have changed a general manager."

However, he was talking about based on past performance. Looking at the results, he would have fired that GM, but since he's GM and owner, he just has to improve.

This is from a 2014 ESPN article:

It's become a preseason rite that this question is posed in Dallas: Why hasn't owner Jerry Jones fired general manager Jerry Jones? Every summer, Jones gamely parries the question, always acknowledging the team's past futility but never leaving any doubt that nothing will change.

"We would have thought that, with Romo as our quarterback, with a coach, a young coach, like Jason Garrett, that we should have been in better shape to compete," Jones says at Valley Ranch. "So I'd be highly critical.

"On the other hand, I would have to look at what the GM has been -- what he's been in the past and, I would like to think, capable of what he can do in the future."

When speaking of his role as GM, Jones often refers to himself in the third person, as if doing so might keep his shoddy performance at a safe distance.

Asked to grade his performance as GM, he says, "I'd give a C. If we had won a half a game more a year, we would be in the top five winningest teams in the NFL. ... We've been in a rut. Now, that stops with me. But the best person to get us out of the rut is me."

Last edited:
Reactions: CWR