Twitter: Jerry said no one forced Mike McCarthy to make Kellen Moore his offensive coordinator

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

75boyz

Reaction score
It is a cool story. I had never heard it. I don't see a joke or anything to laugh about. But, what does this have to do with Jerry forcing anyone to do anything, especially McCarthy and forcing OC Moore on him?

Lamb wanted #10. Jerry asked Lamb to wear #88 for his dear friend also named Lamb who wore #88 at Arkansas. I don't see Jerry forcing Lamb to do it. I think it is nice that Lamb changed his number in honor of Jerry's request. I also thought I read somewhere that Dez wanted Lamb to wear #88 in honor of the historic players who wore that number.

Was not aware of the Jerry to Lamb Arkansas connection story and the use of #88.

With that being said, it is hard not to recognize the marketing/merchandise sales opportunity that the use of #88 brings with it.

Maybe the word force sounds a bit strong, but if Jones 'suggested' that there was a strong possibility to receive the coach's job if he were to retain Moore as OC and just as strong a suggestion to Lamb was made regarding the wearing of #88.
Although you say that suggestion came from Bryant. Does not sound too far fetched that Jerry would benefit from these so called suggestions.

Now that his handpicked OC looks better than the HC and all.

And I'll bet Lamb #88s are doing fairly well in sales.

Just an opinion.

Last edited:

jblaze2004

Reaction score

If McCarthy wanted to keep Kellen when the main reason we wanted him for was his offense and play calling and now he isn't even doing that. What good is he?

I mean he does nothing on the sidelines. Which is obvious from the teams record.

75boyz

Reaction score
If McCarthy wanted to keep Kellen when the main reason we wanted him for was his offense and play calling and now he isn't even doing that. What good is he?

I mean he does nothing on the sidelines. Which is obvious from the teams record.

I am asking this exact question too.
As a head coach you usually got your background in offense or defense.
(Judge and Harbaugh are former special teams guys got it, lol)

McCarthy's is 2 decades plus of Offense.
So now...

As I scratch my head...

It's Nolan's defense, Kellen's offense and Fassel's Special Teams.

And Boy, from the looks of things, this guy is definitely an awesome walk around coach managing all 3 components.

Sarcasm Extreme

Countdown to his firing should commence pretty soon

My .02

Last edited:

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This atleast partially makes sense. In 8 games last season we scored 31+ points so it is not as if the entire offense was broken. I expected Mike to add some of the things he likes to do with his style though.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I mean,
there's still a couple out there believing Moore was McCarthy's guy all along having never met him, having publicly stated he'd never not call plays again or what was the early season reason, oh yeah, kept for continuity and terminology for Dak.

Then if it's Moore's offense and Nolan's defense,
McCarthy does what again and why is he here?
Once and for all just promote Moore now as interim and fire Mayor McCheese.

Blame it all on Covid and do another fake vetting offseason PR HC search and hire the next yes man.

Just get it over with already.

No I'm not a fortune teller.

Writing on the wall is pretty clear though, lol.

Being HC has nothing to do with calling plays. Jimmy Johnson never called plays, his job is to oversee offense, defense and special teams and the players and his staff.

75boyz

Reaction score
Being HC has nothing to do with calling plays. Jimmy Johnson never called plays, his job is to oversee offense, defense and special teams and the players and his staff.
Okay,
Well as a walk around coach he is doing a poor job in my opinion of overseeing Moore's offense, Nolan's defense and Fassel's Special Teams.

With Sean Peyton and Andy Reid as pretty decent head coach examples as play callers I also assume McCarthy might like to have that opportunity now since the press says he had a large influence on bringing Dalton to Dallas. Couldn't hurt.

Oh well.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Okay,
Well as a walk around coach he is doing a poor job in my opinion of overseeing Moore's offense, Nolan's defense and Fassel's Special Teams.

With Sean Peyton and Andy Reid as pretty decent head coach examples as play callers I also assume McCarthy might like to have that opportunity now since the press says he had a large influence on bringing Dalton to Dallas. Couldn't hurt.

Oh well.

I'm only stating that a HC job and main responsibility is not as play caller. Some HC do but his responsibility is not as you say walk around coach. In terms of calling plays, I don't think that is as big of an issue than trying to piece meal an OL together than can actually play together for more than 1 week. When you got guys falling like flies on your OL you will have break downs and there is not a lot of plays in the playbook that requires little to no blocking. I would also add Moore is not developing game plans by himself, McCarthy is a big part of putting together a strategy and game plan together as is the case on all teams. Football is never a 1 man show there are lot of parts involved. You want to say to this point they have not done a good job, I will not disagree but it gets old having 1 or 2 people scapegoated

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
Jerry Jones refuses to put everything together and step out of the way.When we had talented teams he would get us inferior coaches so he can take the credit.

Now we have less talent and he thinks hiring a new coach is gonna solve everything.

Take dlaw and jaylon.... put them on the chiefs Steelers pats or ravens... they’d be all pros again. Those teams aren a joke.. they aren’t a circus. When you walk into those locker rooms they’re are expectations... here it’s not about winning to players it’s about getting paid.

Were closer to the bengals than we are to any of those teams I listed above..... and it’s been that way to an extent for 25 years now.

cern

Reaction score
I would have kept him, too. He's an outstanding oc. We're lucky to have him.

cern

Reaction score
I'm only stating that a HC job and main responsibility is not as play caller. Some HC do but his responsibility is not as you say walk around coach. In terms of calling plays, I don't think that is as big of an issue than trying to piece meal an OL together than can actually play together for more than 1 week. When you got guys falling like flies on your OL you will have break downs and there is not a lot of plays in the playbook that requires little to no blocking. I would also add Moore is not developing game plans by himself, McCarthy is a big part of putting together a strategy and game plan together as is the case on all teams. Football is never a 1 man show there are lot of parts involved. You want to say to this point they have not done a good job, I will not disagree but it gets old having 1 or 2 people scapegoated
Just stop with the logic.

MikeB80

Reaction score
You can only cry wolf so many times.

Why do they even fight these type of things.

HotDog37

Reaction score

It's about Mike McCarthy's long background in the Ball Walsh WCO system. None of that is being implemented other than some errant screens. In other words his offensive football background appears to have zero effect and it looks like by the way the team plays that Garrett is still here with the only change being Mike Nolan's tragic defense. Normally when a HC comes in so does his background and philosophy (Parcells) and some of the former players even of all they do is mentor. We see none of that with only the occasional comment outside from Favre or Rogers. The setup is extremely bizarre and thusly the way we play and act as a team is somewhat bizarre. There is a disconnect with the coaches and players. It was that way with Garrett to but amazingly to a lesser extent than what we see now. I'm starting to see that although Jason Garrett was a puppet head coach, that as far as puppets go Garrett could be top shelf next to McCarthy.

75boyz

Reaction score
It's about Mike McCarthy's long background in the Ball Walsh WCO system. None of that is being implemented other than some errant screens. In other words his offensive football background appears to have zero effect and it looks like by the way the team plays that Garrett is still here with the only change being Mike Nolan's tragic defense. Normally when a HC comes in so does his background and philosophy (Parcells) and some of the former players even of all they do is mentor. We see none of that with only the occasional comment outside from Favre or Rogers. The setup is extremely bizarre and thusly the way we play and act as a team is somewhat bizarre. There is a disconnect with the coaches and players. It was that way with Garrett to but amazingly to a lesser extent than what we see now. I'm starting to see that although Jason Garrett was a puppet head coach, that as far as puppets go Garrett could be top shelf next to McCarthy.

No more perfect description than this. The disconnect you mention is overwhelming.

Tenkamenin

Reaction score
Kellen Moore isn’t the problem, the offense was packing on yards and points until Dak got injured. The defense sucks!