Jerry says he hasn't given up on Earl Thomas deal

the_h0wey

Reaction score
But that’s not what he said

sheesh

People just flat out mind reading when they really have no clue
I didn't say he said anything. People just flat out don't read posts and have no clue

Loso86

Reaction score
come on, if you are being honest with yourself then you would agree that Mike has said enough that if Jerry were to sign Earl now, it would be totally a Jerry Jones move. Even if Mike said he is good with it, that is probably because Jerry condition him to agree. Not saying Mike couldn't change his mind and want to try Earl out, but it would be because Jerry had to work him into it.
What exactly did Mike say that says he doesnt want him I must have missed it. I honestly only saw him say what most HCs would say.

EGTuna

Reaction score
Best guess is ET is trying to get the most $, and Dallas has a number they won't budge from, and that number is not close to what ET wants. If no one comes close to what ET wants, and Dallas is the best offer, he'll sign. Else he'll go where the most $ is. Dallas is waiting it out. No clue what will happen. Usually a team you least expect will sign him.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
What exactly did Mike say that says he doesnt want him I must have missed it. I honestly only saw him say what most HCs would say.
well no, of course he didn't come out and say that he didn't want him directly. You rarely ever hear that directly. Usually is said in a way that emphasizes team without humiliating free agent or whatever. Knowing Jerry's history, it usually is Jerry go gets and you hear very little to nothing from the coaches cuz they are just figureheads on the sideline. About time we hear something of substance from a coach, but lets see how Jerry reacts. hence my comment above.

anyways, here is a pretty good piece of what Mike has said. I have heard elsewhere that Mike is happy with who he has, writers don't always pull things out of thin air.
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...mike-mccarthy-rumors/97q8j622rdi1op1abmt0vhri

That being said, personally I would give Earl Thomas a one year "be a good boy if you want more" contract, if he doesn't hold up his end, dump him. But I of course want the coach to be the one to sign him though. Just gonna be questions as to whether Jerry is pulling strings if they do at this point. Mike has to be pretty convincing to shut them up.

Last edited:

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Watching the team Garrett failed with make the playoffs and perform consistently due to coaching.

I’d characterize that as you watching football and not really understanding what wins and loses football games, but do we really need to rehash that topic? I’m happy to wait and see how much McCarthy magically forgets about football once the losses inevitably come if you are.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The issue in Dallas since 1995 hasn’t generally been coaching. I don’t know what it will take for some of you to finally recognize that simple fact.

Horrible coaching has cost us games every season. Last year was the worst I can remember for that. All our top coaches who left had to take demotions to get new jobs. Reality has spoken on our coaching staff. The leagure has spoken on our coaching staff.

When are you going to recognize those simple facts?

Loso86

Reaction score
well no, of course he didn't come out and say that he didn't want him directly. You rarely ever hear that directly. Usually is said in a way that emphasizes team without humiliating free agent or whatever. Knowing Jerry's history, it usually is Jerry go gets and you hear very little to nothing from the coaches cuz they are just figureheads on the sideline. About time we hear something of substance from a coach, but lets see how Jerry reacts. hence my comment above.

anyways, here is a pretty good piece of what Mike has said. I have heard elsewhere that Mike is happy with who he has, writers don't always pull things out of thin air.
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...mike-mccarthy-rumors/97q8j622rdi1op1abmt0vhri

That being said, personally I would give Earl Thomas a one year "be a good boy if you want more" contract, if he doesn't hold up his end, dump him. But I of course want the coach to be the one to sign him though. Just gonna be questions as to whether Jerry is pulling strings if they do at this point. Mike has to be pretty convincing to shut them up.
I agree

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Horrible coaching has cost us games every season. Last year was the worst I can remember for that. All our top coaches who left had to take demotions to get new jobs. Reality has spoken on our coaching staff. The leagure has spoken on our coaching staff.

When are you going to recognize those simple facts?

It really hasn’t.

What you do see is fans second-guessing coaching decisions after every 50/50 call. And even usually on calls when the correct decision ought to be obvious but they’re unhappy with the outcome anyway. But good luck telling fans that. They won’t hear it.

Which is how I know for a certainty that we’ll see the exact same thing again as soon as the games are played. That hasn’t happened yet, so you’re free to pretend it won’t if you really want to. But we’ll be having the “horrible coaching has cost us multiple games” conversation again in a few months, regardless. I can wait.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
It really hasn’t.

What you do see is fans second-guessing coaching decisions after every 50/50 call. And even usually on calls when the correct decision ought to be obvious but they’re unhappy with the outcome anyway. But good luck telling fans that. They won’t hear it.

Which is how I know for a certainty that we’ll see the exact same thing again as soon as the games are played. That hasn’t happened yet, so you’re free to pretend it won’t if you really want to. But we’ll be having the “horrible coaching has cost us multiple games” conversation again in a few months, regardless. I can wait.

I don't remember people complaining about offensive play calling, or game management under Jimmy. Gailey. Campo. I did eventually complain about the defensive scheme under Parcells, but not the offense, which was more personnel limits.

Garrett was a game management incompetent in a class by himself. He showed it on the field. He showed it when he *talked* about what he did on the field.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't remember people complaining about offensive play calling, or game management under Jimmy. Gailey. Campo.

I guess I was more or less referring to the period during which the internet existed for most people. But for Parcells, Wade, and Garrett the questioning of play calling was a persistent issue. And for McCarthy among GB fans if you’d ever visited a Packers fan site when he was coach. Or if you’re Aaron Rodgers.

Agree to disagree about Garrett as a coach. His record and the relative effectiveness of his offenses makes it obvious that I’m right about Garrett and that most Cowboys fans have it dead wrong. But we both know nobody’s opinion is going to change on this topic now that he’s no longer here.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I guess I was more or less referring to the period during which the internet existed for most people. But for Parcells, Wade, and Garrett the questioning of play calling was a persistent issue. And for McCarthy among GB fans if you’d ever visited a Packers fan site when he was coach. Or is you’re Aaron Rodgers.

Agree to disagree about Garrett as a coach. His record and the relative effectiveness of his offenses makes it obvious that I’m right about Garrett and that most Cowboys fans have it dead wrong. But we both know nobody’s opinion is going to change on this topic now that he’s no longer here.
Lol still won’t take the L on Garrett eh? So if McCarthy finishes with basically the same team with some huge losses with a better record will you stop pining for Garrett? I’m just curious. Since all of us. Almost every analyst. And the owner have it wrong.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lol still won’t take the L on Garrett eh? So if McCarthy finishes with basically the same team with some huge losses with a better record will you stop pining for Garrett? I’m just curious. Since all of us. Almost every analyst. And the owner have it wrong.

Lol. No, most fans don’t like Garrett. Most of the rest of the players, coaches, and owners in the league, including the owner of the Cowboys, are fans of his.

I’ll take the L when I actually lose something. How does that sound? Until then, recognize I’m not the one bringing it up. I’m the one responding when called out on the topic. If anybody is pining, it’s the people who come looking for more on this topic.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Lol. No, most fans don’t like Garrett. Most of the rest of the players, coaches, and owners in the league, including the owner of the Cowboys, are fans of his.

I’ll take the L when I actually lose something. How does that sound? Until then, recognize I’m not the one bringing it up. I’m the one responding when called out on the topic. If anybody is pining, it’s the people who come looking for more on this topic.
Of course the other players owners and coaches loved him. They knew they didn’t have to gameplan that week because we were just going to “do what we do”. The fact you still defend him is scary.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Best guess is ET is trying to get the most $, and Dallas has a number they won't budge from, and that number is not close to what ET wants. If no one comes close to what ET wants, and Dallas is the best offer, he'll sign. Else he'll go where the most $ is. Dallas is waiting it out. No clue what will happen. Usually a team you least expect will sign him.

My guess is ET isn't getting anywhere close to the amount of offers some folks here (and probably ET himself) expect. But I'm not surprised ol' Jerry wants to sign him. I'm sure he thinks he can fix this like he did Greg Hardy. :rolleyes:

Thomas didn’t fly back to Baltimore with the team after an Oct. 20 victory in Seattle, where he played nine seasons. That caused him to miss two days of meetings.

Thomas showed up late or not at all for a number of meetings last season. The fines and warnings simply did not make an impact on Thomas, and the behavior continued this month as the Ravens returned to training camp.

Thomas said last week he needed more time between practices and meetings. Just days before the altercation with Clark, Thomas pulled his all-time diva move by explaining he was late because he was having his car washed.

Earl Thomas’ fight with teammate Chuck Clark after Thomas blew a coverage during a practice drill last week was the proverbial last straw leading the Baltimore Ravens to cut ties with the safety.

The day that the Ravens realized signing Earl Thomas was a mistake

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Of course the other players owners and coaches loved him. They knew they didn’t have to gameplan that week because we were just going to “do what we do”. The fact you still defend him is scary.

We can keep going around in circles. I’m not defending him as much as I recognize that he was a winning coach in a job where nobody has really had more success than he did in the last 25 years.

But hey, we have McCarthy now, so that problem’s been solved. Can’t wait.