Jerry says it's gonna be a challenge to keep Dez and Demarco

Eskimo

Reaction score
What is woefully underestimated by fans, and I fear by ownership, is that Demarco Murray has a gift for getting tough yards. He has his drawbacks, as everyone does, but don't take for granted some of those runs that looked like they were totally bottled up and he somehow knifed his way through.

Murray did get quite a few tough yards.

However, the big problem aside from some inopportune fumbles (and he was lucky there with the way he carries the ball) is that he just wasn't making defenses pay for getting too aggressive at the LOS. There were quite a few times that almost the whole defense was sucked up into the LOS and perfectly blocked but he'd only bust it for 15-20 yards when a really good RB would have taken it for 30-40. We saw a few times when Randle and Dunbar were in the game and similar opportunities were not wasted. When those guys saw open field they had a burst and were elusive. It was Randle who had the big run that really softened up Seattle's defense.

So yes we will lose some physicality at the LOS but I also think we will force defenses to back off a bit with more big play potential both in the running game and receiving game out of the backfield.

I don't know how the draft or FA will play out but I think another name will be added to the mix. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we aren't trading down in the 1st round to pick up a 3rd rounder which might be spent on a RB. I know many are interested in AP but I think he will crave another big payday which we can't and won't offer him (assuming the Vikings release him as expected). However, if he'll come over for $4M I'd be happy to have him and his big play abilities.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
Letting Murray walk is the right move. This team has too many needs, primarily on defense, to sink a bunch of money into a running back.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
Murray did get quite a few tough yards.

However, the big problem aside from some inopportune fumbles (and he was lucky there with the way he carries the ball) is that he just wasn't making defenses pay for getting too aggressive at the LOS. There were quite a few times that almost the whole defense was sucked up into the LOS and perfectly blocked but he'd only bust it for 15-20 yards when a really good RB would have taken it for 30-40. We saw a few times when Randle and Dunbar were in the game and similar opportunities were not wasted. When those guys saw open field they had a burst and were elusive. It was Randle who had the big run that really softened up Seattle's defense.

So yes we will lose some physicality at the LOS but I also think we will force defenses to back off a bit with more big play potential both in the running game and receiving game out of the backfield.

I don't know how the draft or FA will play out but I think another name will be added to the mix. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we aren't trading down in the 1st round to pick up a 3rd rounder which might be spent on a RB. I know many are interested in AP but I think he will crave another big payday which we can't and won't offer him (assuming the Vikings release him as expected). However, if he'll come over for $4M I'd be happy to have him and his big play abilities.

Don't know if this applies, but Williams ( recently resigned) may be the short yardage back, and then if Murray doesn't sign we look to the draft/free agency for a speed back who can block. Agree on the holes and opportunities.

Saw it with Randle, at opportune times, but don't consider him to be Dorsett/Herschel Walker level runner that gave that " I'm gone" feeling whenever they were in the open field.

Eskimo

Reaction score
Don't know if this applies, but Williams ( recently resigned) may be the short yardage back, and then if Murray doesn't sign we look to the draft/free agency for a speed back who can block. Agree on the holes and opportunities.

Saw it with Randle, at opportune times, but don't consider him to be Dorsett/Herschel Walker level runner that gave that " I'm gone" feeling whenever they were in the open field.

No, Randle isn't a Dorsett or Sanders or Walker type of threat. I only meant it to contrast with what Murray had been doing in similar opportunities. Randle was a 5th round pick, Dunbar was a UDFA and Williams was a guy waived by his drafting team. We really don't have much investment in the current roster at the RB position yet the guys we do have have shown they can do damage when given the opportunity. That's why I'm not too worried with letting Murray go. He was good but not great and he was really showing signs of wearing down even before the hand injury.

I think we will do okay replacing him but we must invest something to replace him.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
No, Randle isn't a Dorsett or Sanders or Walker type of threat. I only meant it to contrast with what Murray had been doing in similar opportunities. Randle was a 5th round pick, Dunbar was a UDFA and Williams was a guy waived by his drafting team. We really don't have much investment in the current roster at the RB position yet the guys we do have have shown they can do damage when given the opportunity. That's why I'm not too worried with letting Murray go. He was good but not great and he was really showing signs of wearing down even before the hand injury.

I think we will do okay replacing him but we must invest something to replace him.

Nice summary.... Agree with and understand your points on Randle / Dunbar. Great thing is if we can get a " speed back" there are those opportunities created by our O Line

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
JJ signs Williams to a 2 year deal then says this about Murray, you can read the tea leaves.

Williams was signed to a 2 yr minimum deal like the other guys on the practice squad. Except for Pellerin and Coleman.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I think they let Murray go. They draft a back and they let that back and the others on the team fight it out to see who is the starter.

Something to keep in mind here.

If they are saying they don't have the money for Murray and Dez (which is basically what they are saying)...that probably rules out Adrian Peterson as well as he will not decide to come play for cheap.

Look for the draft, the current RBs on the roster or maybe a cheaper FA.

Personally...I think we can get a decent one in the draft.
Talking Cowboys made a great pioint the other day, about Dallas learning its lesson with Barber. And the new philosopgy with RBs is draft a RB let him run the course of his rookie deal and draft another.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I have my reasons for believing he will be our pick at 27, and they are good reasons. Has to do with how free agency is going to play out,...players the Cowboys will be signing from other teams.

I hope Dallas stays clear of Gordon. They already have that type of RB in Randle. Draft Gurley in round 2 or Mike Davis in round 3

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
After all the years of being behind the cap, Dallas has finally begun to get it.

Lately, they've had better drafting and better cap management. We'll see if it continues.

There is no point in being well under the cap if you let good players get away. People have become so obsessed with the 'we are in cap hell' narrative that they lose sight of the fact that a team competing for a long playoff run shouldn't leave valuable cap space unused if they can improve the team.

Philly has been well under the cap for a long time and has very little to show for it. Maybe if they had spent up to the cap, they would have won more playoff games. Letting Murray go will not make the team better, it just creates another hole that has to be filled.

DFWJC

Reaction score
There is no point in being well under the cap if you let good players get away. People have become so obsessed with the 'we are in cap hell' narrative that they lose sight of the fact that a team competing for a long playoff run shouldn't leave valuable cap space unused if they can improve the team.

Philly has been well under the cap for a long time and has very little to show for it. Maybe if they had spent up to the cap, they would have won more playoff games. Letting Murray go will not make the team better, it just creates another hole that has to be filled.

Yeah, I agree. And that was not at all the point of my comment.
Instead, it means now maybe we can pay those who we should pay and also be active (but not dumb) in the FA market.
I expect us to use our cap fully.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree. And that was not at all the point of my comment.
Instead, it means now maybe we can pay those who we should pay and also be active (but not dumb) in the FA market.
I expect us to use our cap fully.

It just bugs me when people get their info from ESPN and fall for the Dallas is in cap trouble stories. Using restructures and big signing bonuses is SMART. It allows the team to spend well above the cap using interest free loans against future cap space. Fans should be excited that the team is willing to go above and beyond to sign players and improve the team. It's not our money.

Not every FA signing works out, but a lot of Draft picks fail as well. You can't write off FA entirely because some deals go bad. You just dust yourself off and move on to the next deal. You have to make good decisions whether it's FA, the draft, trades or choosing who to re-sign.