Jerry sending message to Zeke at PC

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know much about this agent, or any of them for that matter, but the idea to hold out had to come from one of them. The other thing I speculate on, besides everything else I speculate on, was the effect of the option, which he had to know was coming.

In essence, he averages 6M a season for the next 2 while leading the league in carries and he's up over 1,500 at the end of that 5th year. As some of my more astute colleagues have pointed out, it's not the years but the carries and the build up of contact. I would guess Elliott has more contact and harder hits in one season than Emmitt would have in 2 with his uncanny ability to avoid the big hit.

We'll never know the real effect of these but the Lawrence signing as the biggest contract in Cowboys history, the rumors of the Prescott and Cooper signings for big numbers and that option activated with the possibility of 2 tags behind that and Elliott is looking at the first 7 years of his career gone and over 2,100 carries, 400 catches and countless blocks against bigger people to protect his QB that has the propensity to hold the ball too long.

All the while, he sees what Gurley and Bell are pulling down, Hey, he might be like Peterson and run well late into his career but Elliott makes a lot of contact with a lot of force behind it.

I could see a meeting with his agent and discussing the above and considering how much cap will be there when he is up and coming to this decision. He had to know it would not be popular and had never been done before so he's going to be the bad guy to a lot of people. He's too far in now to not go all the way.
You had me until the last paragraph. You bring up very good points regarding his possible thinking. And, there is no doubt Emmitt Smith was a very bright player and businessman who never got into off-field troubles like several of his teammates.

I still fail to see any benefit of the holdout, especially the Cabo trip, return to Dallas and then the Cabo trip. It seems to me there are far smarter ways to get negotiated solutions and I squarely blame his agent.

Sydla

Reaction score
Not Zeke at any expense but when they say he was offered a top 5 deal, they mean it was #5. He's clearly better than #5 even if you factor in a knucklehead discount. You can't say the starting point is Gurley money and then offer less than Gurley money. Don't people here call Zeke holding out a "bad faith" move? Hmmm.

Yes you can. Because what Stephen says to a reporter, off the cuff, 6 months ago isn't an official offer. Throw in the fact that in between that statement and now, you got in trouble again with a childish act off the field, things can change. Let's also note that when Jones made those comments Bell hadn't signed. Bell then signs for less than Gurley which probably also had the Cowboys re-assessing the RB market.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It took like 3 seconds to google "leveon bell steelers gm" or some version of that and find the GM of the Steelers talking about Bell during his negotiating period and hold out. In fact, at one point, the Steelers GM basically said they were done talking to Bell and they had other more pressing issues to deal with.

And I didn't miss the agent getting to play the disrespect card. You said he used it to his advantage. What advantage did he get? I suspect people in the clubhouse don't care one way or the other what his agent is saying, they probably recognize Jerry's comment about Zeke who was a joke, and it certainly didn't endear fans to Elliott's plight.

So his playing of the "d card" wasn't any big win. It might have been a loss if it really pissed Jerry off.
The PIT situation was a cluster from the beginning from the GM and HC. Congrats, you found one to compare to the Cowboys.

The d card doesn't have to be a win, negotiating is like politics, everything is a weapon. The agent says we aren't happy and Elliott returns to Cabo, and I have no idea if these are related and not just coincidence, maybe that was a return ticket because him coming to Dallas was never explained. But that got the reaction from Booger they wanted, he was pissed because his joke fell flat so he's all about "I earned the right to joke about Zeke". I have no idea what that means but I don't do Booger interpretations unless I am as drunk as he is.

I'd bet Elliott and his agent both laughed at Booger's attempt to be funny and did listen to what he said and know he didn't mean any disrespect at all. But it's not about what he meant, it's the weapon to use to get all butthurt and once again accuse the moneyman of disrespect. BTW, I am really tired of their misuse of that word but it's all the rage now.

Syd, my problem with all of this is exactly what my problem with all of this is every offseason. The Cowboys are a reality show, we are guaranteed some drama a stupid comments to the media, because he shouldn't be talking to the media in the first place. Couldn't just be like other teams, keep it off the grid so no one gets their feelings hurt because hopefully, we will need to work together after this rough patch.

Yesterday was a new low for Booger and if I am Elliott, I am demanding a trade now because he called him out as not being a team player. Look at L'il Jaylon here, him play nice with Booger, him a real team player. That's BS. Elliott gave him and the team everything he had to the point of tapping out from the workload. Booger went somewhere he shouldn't have yesterday and there are players in that locker room that didn't like it. And it's not the first time his mouth has gotten him in trouble with a player about his commitment to his team. Ratliff ran his old wrinkly butt out of the locker room.

khiladi

Reaction score
Huh? These guys have all been offered top-5 money thus far. This is what's considered low-balling today?

Top 5 this year, not what they get when their contract is up. That’s exactly why Dallas is trying to offer them less now.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You had me until the last paragraph. You bring up very good points regarding his possible thinking. And, there is no doubt Emmitt Smith was a very bright player and businessman who never got into off-field troubles like several of his teammates.

I still fail to see any benefit of the holdout, especially the Cabo trip, return to Dallas and then the Cabo trip. It seems to me there are far smarter ways to get negotiated solutions and I squarely blame his agent.
Chuckles, do we know why he went to Cabo? I don't, but if they'd struck a deal, he would have been in camp pronto pronto. Did he return to Cabo because of what Booger said or was that a roundtrip and he was going back anyway? It was pure speculation that he came back to Dallas to rejoin the team. I don't know why he went to Cabo, came to Dallas or went back to Cabo.

One thing for sure, Booger overreacted to the entire situation and assumed Elliott got all butthurt about the Zeke who comment and went back to Cabo. And that Smith pc was a cluster and an obvious setup and ploy to shame Elliott off his holdout. That is what might be the backfire of this entire saga because that wasn't just a shot at Elliott but any player not willing to take their offer. Their idea of negotiating is we make an offer and you accept it or you are not a good team player.

And we've got a lot of people deciding for Elliott and other players what they should accept. They don't meddle in my business and I stay out of theirs. Every person has the right to establish their own value and worth and try and get that.

And as usual, I know more about this than I either need or want to know.

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes you can. Because what Stephen says to a reporter, off the cuff, 6 months ago isn't an official offer. Throw in the fact that in between that statement and now, you got in trouble again with a childish act off the field, things can change. Let's also note that when Jones made those comments Bell hadn't signed. Bell then signs for less than Gurley which probably also had the Cowboys re-assessing the RB market.
The comment was made on the radio but you are correct and that is a bone of contention, Elliott had another incident and had to promise to be good from now on. Like others here fell, that promise doesn't amount to much. I think Zekey has a little problem with that Ol' Poison Whiskey. It make him stupid.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He could care less if he pissed him off. Booger made a bad joke, as most of his are, and the agent used it to his advantage. If Booger is pissed, he should be pissed at himself for his big mouth.

Weakness attempt to take another shot at Jones. Very weak.

And all of this posturing, "I am just the guy to stand my ground" BS, will last only as long as the team isn't losing because of Elliott's absence. Let them start off like they did with Emmitt out and the pressure from the fans and media will increase and he doesn't have the balls to stand his ground. Let Lawrence hurl his helmet against the locker room wall and see how he holds his ground. He's a putz when it comes to the players.

And yet, the fact is that it was Emmitt who capitulated in that deal, not Jones.

31 teams have "no comment" when it comes to player contract negotiations and 1 shoots their mouths off but let's defend them.

If you want to attack Jerry Jones, get better ammo.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think he's butthurt at how many times he's gone to bat for Zeke. The holdout pissed him off, understandably.

MarcusRock

Reaction score

Well then maybe that was the point the holdout plan of action was enacted. And as good as Bell is, after a year off he's not worth more than a healthy Gurley anyways. So one bad faith gesture deserves another I guess.

Jeffkills

Reaction score
No, I don't. I'm a man first and a Cowboy fan second. I don't want someone who could be my brother, father, son, cousin to not get what they are worth. I don't want anyone to "fall in line". Have some pride. Have some self worth.
Pride cometh before the fall, bro...

So, do you want Zeke to keep holding out, even perhaps after week 10?

I certaintly know what I want - our sixth championship...

I can't imagine you don't also hope we win the SB this year - even if to do so it was necessary for Zeke to fold it up and return to the team on his current contract - as any sensible Cowboys fan would, right?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Pride cometh before the fall, bro...

So, do you want Zeke to keep holding out, even perhaps after week 10?

I certaintly know what I want - our sixth championship...

I can't imagine you don't also hope we win the SB this year - even if to do so it was necessary for Zeke to fold it up and return to the team on his current contract - as any sensible Cowboys fan would, right?

I want Zeke to get paid and want the Cowboys to move on. I don't know how you achieve Zeke not getting paid and being a Cowboy. If its possible go for it. I don't see it.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Because you are angry at Elliott, most here are angry at him.

I can't be as I would be doing the same thing he's doing and that's hypocritical to be angry with him. Some feel he's doing something to them or the team but I do not see it that way. He's doing something for himself in the only way available to him.

I am also sorry to see so many duped by that transparent pc yesterday, all set up to put the black hat on Elliott. It's easy for me to roll with this because I accepted this was not a game or a sport but a business some time back and while that stole some of my passion for the sport, better to accept things as they really are.
Yet ,C-C? the mere omitted verbiaged word of PREMATURE ,in an otherwise admiredly insightful if not somewhat lengthy opined analysis,has kept you off the highly esteemed& greatly coveted "Feudian's DEAN'S LIST of the DAY AWARD",,,o_O

:lmao::lmao2::lmao:

75boyz

Reaction score
I don't know much about this agent, or any of them for that matter, but the idea to hold out had to come from one of them. The other thing I speculate on, besides everything else I speculate on, was the effect of the option, which he had to know was coming.

In essence, he averages 6M a season for the next 2 while leading the league in carries and he's up over 1,500 at the end of that 5th year. As some of my more astute colleagues have pointed out, it's not the years but the carries and the build up of contact. I would guess Elliott has more contact and harder hits in one season than Emmitt would have in 2 with his uncanny ability to avoid the big hit.

We'll never know the real effect of these but the Lawrence signing as the biggest contract in Cowboys history, the rumors of the Prescott and Cooper signings for big numbers and that option activated with the possibility of 2 tags behind that and Elliott is looking at the first 7 years of his career gone and over 2,100 carries, 400 catches and countless blocks against bigger people to protect his QB that has the propensity to hold the ball too long.

All the while, he sees what Gurley and Bell are pulling down, Hey, he might be like Peterson and run well late into his career but Elliott makes a lot of contact with a lot of force behind it.

I could see a meeting with his agent and discussing the above and considering how much cap will be there when he is up and coming to this decision. He had to know it would not be popular and had never been done before so he's going to be the bad guy to a lot of people. He's too far in now to not go all the way.

I have enjoyed reading your insightful perspective on this post and several of your others on this topic as well Coach. Makes this forum a good and civilized discussion location provided the other parties remain civilized towards your opinions. Nice job fellow Cowboys fan.

aria

Reaction score
Not Zeke at any expense but when they say he was offered a top 5 deal, they mean it was #5. He's clearly better than #5 even if you factor in a knucklehead discount. You can't say the starting point is Gurley money and then offer less than Gurley money. Don't people here call Zeke holding out a "bad faith" move? Hmmm.
Under the circumstances I think top 5 is plenty fair, him holding out because he wants to be the TOP paid RB is a typical, entitled, dbag move by him.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Under the circumstances I think top 5 is plenty fair, him holding out because he wants to be the TOP paid RB is a typical, entitled, dbag move by him.

You have always hated Zeke from the moment we drafted him ....... so who in the world would listen to your nonsense.

Zeke is the best RB in the league ....... and deserves to be paid like it.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You have always hated Zeke from the moment we drafted him ....... so who in the world would listen to your nonsense.

Measured solely by his performance, maybe. But, taken with the off-field nonsense, no way!

And, I loved the pick and have been a supporter.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have enjoyed reading your insightful perspective on this post and several of your others on this topic as well Coach. Makes this forum a good and civilized discussion location provided the other parties remain civilized towards your opinions. Nice job fellow Cowboys fan.
They're fine but I don't know how civilized they are, I can hear some grunts and snarls with those retorts. However, I am one of the older posters here and while they may not respect my opinion, they know us old dudes are sneaky and never play fair.

I like to think of myself as one of those old Native Americans, living on the edge of the village, an elder. They're not quite sure if I am harmless or just how loopy I am so they keep a wary eye on my teepee. I also have the only wet bar in the village.

Thanks 75, very kind of you.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Several subtle shots at Zeke (and maybe Dak) at the Jaylon PC. He kept effusively praising Jaylon for looking out for the "team" with this contract.

Just curious, how does Jaylon's contract "look out for the team"? His contract pays him the 2nd highest guaranteed money for a MLB in the league.

aria

Reaction score

No one has to listen, there’s an ignore feature homer, use it. BTW, Zeke is top 3-5 but not the best.