Jerry sending message to Zeke at PC

uvaballa

Reaction score
I think the statement on that video might be a bit exaggerated.

There are multiple ways they could be looking at the contracts stats.

The biggest per year RB pay prior to 2010 was Reggie Bush at 8.75M per.

The top contract now is 14.54M per.
Signed...Per Year...Player
2018 .... 14.54 .... Le'Veon Bell
2018 .... 14.38 .... Todd Gurley
2011 .... 14.21 .... Adrian Peterson
2015 .... 14.00 .... Adrian Peterson
2011 .... 13.49 .... Chris Johnson
2019 .... 13.13 .... Le'Veon Bell
2018 .... 13.00 .... David Johnson
2017 .... 12.12 .... Le'Veon Bell
2015 .... 12.00 .... Marshawn Lynch
2012 .... 9.00 .... LeSean McCoy
2006 .... 8.75 .... Reggie Bush
2012 .... 8.70 .... Arian Foster
2008 .... 8.62 .... Steven Jackson
2011 .... 8.60 .... DeAngelo Williams
2017 .... 8.25 .... Devonta Freeman
2004 .... 8.19 .... Clinton Portis
2005 .... 8.08 .... Edgerrin James
2015 .... 8.01 .... LeSean McCoy
2004 .... 8.00 .... LaDainian Tomlinson
2015 .... 8.00 .... DeMarco Murray
1998 .... 7.80 .... Terrell Davis
2018 .... 7.80 .... Saquon Barkley
2006 .... 7.71 .... Shaun Alexander
2008 .... 7.69 .... Clinton Portis
2009 .... 7.63 .... Maurice Jones-Drew
2012 .... 7.60 .... Matt Forte
2006 .... 7.50 .... Edgerrin James
2012 .... 7.50 .... Marshawn Lynch
2018 .... 7.50 .... Jerick McKinnon
2012 .... 7.30 .... Jonathan Stewart
2010 .... 7.28 .... Darren Sproles
2016 .... 7.15 .... Doug Martin
Didn’t Bell sit out 2018? How did he get $14.5M?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Because you are angry at Elliott, most here are angry at him.

I can't be as I would be doing the same thing he's doing and that's hypocritical to be angry with him. Some feel he's doing something to them or the team but I do not see it that way. He's doing something for himself in the only way available to him.

I am also sorry to see so many duped by that transparent pc yesterday, all set up to put the black hat on Elliott. It's easy for me to roll with this because I accepted this was not a game or a sport but a business some time back and while that stole some of my passion for the sport, better to accept things as they really are.
Zeke wants to get all the $$ he can. Jerry would give it to him if he could but he can’t because of the SALARY CAP. He’s got to sign Dak, Amari, Jones, LVE, Awuzie, L. Collins, M. Collins, Gallup and others I missed. And you want Zeke to break the bank so we can’t sign half those guys. That’s pretty dumb.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LOL, to what advantage? If the goal was to try to get the sympathy PR for Elliott's situation, he failed because it didn't move the needle much at all. All it did was piss off the guy you want to hand you the largest TB contract in NFL history.

And your last paragraph is hogwash. Other teams have certainly said more than no comment on player negotiations.
Which ones? We don't usually hear about others until they're done. Even if they're holding out, the teams try and keep a lid on it, know why? Because of that comment Booger made was ammo for the enemy, they used it, pissed him off and now we don't know where this is but I would say it is further away today than yesterday prior to that pc. You disagree?

Every agent and player in the league was aware of the purpose of that yesterday and I'd bet Jaylon didn't know he was going to be used like that. How do you think every player that's up next season feels about that?

Did you miss the agent getting to play the D card that the players love so much? Booger Disrespected Elliott.

aria

Reaction score
The iron is hot because we lean on Zeke like no other team does. Who's the straw that stirs the drink on offense again? We had a great O-Line and Joseph Randle and Randle looked better than our 9 carry sample size of the rookie so far who also almost got our QB killed. And Dak's performance without Zeke and a defensive line with no one helping Lawrence bodes well for needing Zeke. Even Cooper is iffy with his foot. In a league where 1 game can make a difference, Elliott has a lot on his side to make the FO negotiate. And they are. So people can yap about him having time left on his contract but if the team is saying yes, we'll talk, then he is in the clear to do what he does. Not without risk but the team is allowing it. Fans needing to be kept comfortable about how another goes about their business is the major uproar here but in negotiation, all's fair until you come to an agreement and I think they will. Then there'll be fan whinage about that. Lol.
Great, so you want and support Zeke at any expense and I don’t. It may look rosey now nut see what happens in a year or two when it’s time for others to get paid and we can’t afford it because we paid the most expendable position in football, behind one of the best O lines, the most money ever for that position. Not to mention a position that is frequently injured, hence part of the reason he’s holding out. Makes perfect sense.

Where was Zeke stirring the drink when we had one of our best offensive games all year, with half our starters sitting out, against the Giants last year? People, myself included, complained about Linehans offense for a variety of reasons but one being how simplistic and reliant it was on Zeke. Why do you think we have a new OC now? Zeke doesn’t need to be an every down back if Moore is worth his paycheck. All these other teams manage to win games without a top 3-5 RB, no reason we can’t either.

And please don’t bring up “but Dak sucks without Zeke”. Great, and I bet Zeke isn’t as good or nearly as effective without a top 5-10 O line in front of him.

aria

Reaction score
Because you are angry at Elliott, most here are angry at him.

I can't be as I would be doing the same thing he's doing and that's hypocritical to be angry with him. Some feel he's doing something to them or the team but I do not see it that way. He's doing something for himself in the only way available to him.

I am also sorry to see so many duped by that transparent pc yesterday, all set up to put the black hat on Elliott. It's easy for me to roll with this because I accepted this was not a game or a sport but a business some time back and while that stole some of my passion for the sport, better to accept things as they really are.
Please stop with the set up, once again, someone blaming others for a situation Zeke put himself in. Will it ever stop? Elliot put the black hat on himself in college and has it glued to his fat head.

The only way available to him? Hardly. He could have played out this year and would have been handsomely rewarded. He could have showed up to camp and had his agent have private negotiations with Jerry. He took the most selfish way out which is all he knows.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
If I'm the team/Jerry at this point, I honestly think I'd just let Zeke sit out indefinitely. Call his bluff. If Zeke want to, he can sit out the next two seasons, and likely ruin his career.

JReed1000

Reaction score
If the Cowboys open the Season with 2 Division loses...A message will surely be sent.

JeffAtl

Reaction score
When players are negotiating contracts fans ALWAYS think the player's side is being unreasonable even though they know next to nothing about what's actually being said in meetings.

In the past when there was no salary cap and the money just came out of the owner's pocket, yes.

Fans now, though, are aware of the salary cap and can easily see how a market setting contract would impact the team as a whole.

Last edited:

JeffAtl

Reaction score
Lol. There were plenty of people sticking up for Jerry. As I stated above, most fans are on the side of management when players want new deals. Lawrence had no knuckleheadry about him and even he was branded a bad guy as soon as he wanted a new deal.

There is no real "mgmt vs players" concept in NFL salary negotiations anymore. With the min and max spending requirements, money that is not going to one player will just go to some other player.

Fans now take the side of "mgmt" because they know that market setting contracts means that good, hard-working players will now be cap causalities and have to be replaced with UDFAs making the league minimum.

GMO415

Reaction score
Jerry just Cowboy'd up on them fools!
john-wayne-gun-twirl-gif.gif

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score
Which ones? We don't usually hear about others until they're done. Even if they're holding out, the teams try and keep a lid on it, know why? Because of that comment Booger made was ammo for the enemy, they used it, pissed him off and now we don't know where this is but I would say it is further away today than yesterday prior to that pc. You disagree?

Every agent and player in the league was aware of the purpose of that yesterday and I'd bet Jaylon didn't know he was going to be used like that. How do you think every player that's up next season feels about that?

Did you miss the agent getting to play the D card that the players love so much? Booger Disrespected Elliott.

It took like 3 seconds to google "leveon bell steelers gm" or some version of that and find the GM of the Steelers talking about Bell during his negotiating period and hold out. And at one point, the GM said they were going to worry about more pressing needs than Bell and could possibly use the draft to change the negotiating stance.

So yeah, other GMs have spoken out about players in contract disputes.

And I didn't miss the agent getting to play the disrespect card. You said he used it to his advantage. What advantage did he get? I suspect people in the clubhouse don't care one way or the other what his agent is saying, they probably recognize Jerry's comment about Zeke who was a joke, and it certainly didn't endear fans to Elliott's plight.

So his playing of the "d card" wasn't any big win. It might have been a loss if it really pissed Jerry off.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Many players just leave up to agents. Good question!
I think so.
I don't know much about this agent, or any of them for that matter, but the idea to hold out had to come from one of them. The other thing I speculate on, besides everything else I speculate on, was the effect of the option, which he had to know was coming.

In essence, he averages 6M a season for the next 2 while leading the league in carries and he's up over 1,500 at the end of that 5th year. As some of my more astute colleagues have pointed out, it's not the years but the carries and the build up of contact. I would guess Elliott has more contact and harder hits in one season than Emmitt would have in 2 with his uncanny ability to avoid the big hit.

We'll never know the real effect of these but the Lawrence signing as the biggest contract in Cowboys history, the rumors of the Prescott and Cooper signings for big numbers and that option activated with the possibility of 2 tags behind that and Elliott is looking at the first 7 years of his career gone and over 2,100 carries, 400 catches and countless blocks against bigger people to protect his QB that has the propensity to hold the ball too long.

All the while, he sees what Gurley and Bell are pulling down, Hey, he might be like Peterson and run well late into his career but Elliott makes a lot of contact with a lot of force behind it.

I could see a meeting with his agent and discussing the above and considering how much cap will be there when he is up and coming to this decision. He had to know it would not be popular and had never been done before so he's going to be the bad guy to a lot of people. He's too far in now to not go all the way.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Great, so you want and support Zeke at any expense and I don’t. It may look rosey now nut see what happens in a year or two when it’s time for others to get paid and we can’t afford it because we paid the most expendable position in football, behind one of the best O lines, the most money ever for that position. Not to mention a position that is frequently injured, hence part of the reason he’s holding out. Makes perfect sense.

Where was Zeke stirring the drink when we had one of our best offensive games all year, with half our starters sitting out, against the Giants last year? People, myself included, complained about Linehans offense for a variety of reasons but one being how simplistic and reliant it was on Zeke. Why do you think we have a new OC now? Zeke doesn’t need to be an every down back if Moore is worth his paycheck. All these other teams manage to win games without a top 3-5 RB, no reason we can’t either.

And please don’t bring up “but Dak sucks without Zeke”. Great, and I bet Zeke isn’t as good or nearly as effective without a top 5-10 O line in front of him.

Not Zeke at any expense but when they say he was offered a top 5 deal, they mean it was #5. He's clearly better than #5 even if you factor in a knucklehead discount. You can't say the starting point is Gurley money and then offer less than Gurley money. Don't people here call Zeke holding out a "bad faith" move? Hmmm.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
If the Cowboys open the Season with 2 Division loses...A message will surely be sent.

If Zeke sits out and Dak plays without an extension:
Cowboys start 0-2 Zeke gets paid, Dak gets heat
Cowboys start 2-0 Zeke gets nothing, Dak gets his 30+ million

At the end of the day, the hard salary cap pits player against player. Jerry will spend the maximum he is allowed. The only question is which player will get it.