Jerry should try to get A.Rodgers, or Wilson here is why

DandyDon52

Reaction score
If they trade Dak after June 1 only his pro-rated bonus for 2022 hits the CAP in 2022 or (the Cowboys have the options to take the entire pro-rated bonus amount if they choose). His guaranteed salary is paid by his new team and his new team takes his salary against their CAP - and his salary for the next years of his contract. Dallas then takes the remainder of Dak's pro-rated bonus against their CAP in 2023. This is considered dead money because Dak is no longer with the team but they are taking a CAP hit for him anyway.

In 2022 Dak's current CAP impact is $34.45 million. $20 million is salary and the rest is pro-rated bonus. That is $14.45 million. If they trade Dak after June 1, the CAP impact is only the pro-rated bonus amount of $14.45 million which is $20 million less that his CAP impact would have been if he was still with the team. Hence, $20 million CAP save.

However, his signing bonuses were spread out over 5 years, out to 2025. So after 2022 there are still 3 years of pro-rated signing bonus on Dallas's CAP books. That amounts to $43.35 million ($14.45 million x 3). Dak's CAP impact for 2023 is $45.45 million, assuming they do not restructure him in 2022. The remaining pro-rated bonus amount for Dak in 2023 is $43.35 million. So the dead money in 2023 is still $2.1 million less than his CAP impact would have been. That's considered a $2.1 million CAP save. But the problem with dead money is there is no way to restructure it to spread it out further. They have to take the whole thing in 1 year.

Dak's 2022 salary is guaranteed so they can't make him a pre-June 1 cut and save $20 million. In fact, they have to pay him his $20 million no matter when they cut him. And his 2023 salary of $31 million is guaranteed the 5th day of the 2022 leagues year which is March 21st. Only a trades gets them out of the obligation to pay him his salary unless they cut him before March 22.

I know it sounds complicated but it is actually very simple. The net of it is they can trade Dak after June 1 and save some money this year and a bit less next year.

The interesting thing is his new team only takes on his salary. For for them his CAP impact is $20 million this year and $31 million next. They can restructure his deal and convert salary to bonus and lower his CAP quite a bit for both years. This makes Dak very tradeable - if he agrees to the deal.
ok thanks, very good explanation.
It is that bonus money that is the problem, which is the signing bonus.
It is messed up they can spread that out 5 years !

But you validate dak is trade-able if he wants to be traded. The whole idea is to make him want a trade.

It is all feasible, it just goes against standard football mentality.

75boyz

Reaction score
I see we are into silly season already. Would Rodgers be a huge upgrade? Of course. He wants 50 million or a quarter of the cap though. I dont know how any team pulls that off for starters. Beyond the obvious cap implications, Rodgers wants to win and has no interest in play for McCarthy. Neither of those things are going to happen here. If you are gonna dream, then dream big I always say.

Nice reply.
While I could only dream of Rodgers running the offense just like I wanted Brady on a 2 year deal, your reasoning on the coach would be the biggest obstacle to overcome in my view. They can juggle money and play credit card salary cap like they did in the past, but getting rid of Mayor McCheese is the challenge that has me wondering who could step in...?

Maybe Quinn I guess.

jmo

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Ok first I know we cant force trade Dak, but if he wanted to be traded, it could be done.

The solution is to bring in Rodgers or Wilson, and tell Dak your now the Bkup dude :cool:
If he wants to sit on bench for most of season he can collect his check. But I think Dak would want to be
traded, so he would then pick a team and they could get a trade done , if that team wanted him.

I may be wrong but if he was traded, he could redo his deal/ contract to make it happen.

Now I hear that jerry likes attention, keep the team in the news, keep team relevant !
I hear this almost daily here.
What would make dallas the most relevant and talked about team?
Well getting Rodgers #1 or Wilson # 2 ! If he got Rodgers, jerry would have 100's of media wanting to talk to him, internet would explode !

And Rodgers is I think undefeated in ATT, and said he loves playing there. He is older now
and would probably love playing in a comfy dome for 8-9 games, and only a few outdoor games.

He would have some good WR , good RB, and if jerry let him be the oc/play caller/qb , the offense would
probably be awesome.

Jerry wants a SB, or at least champ game, and which scenario has best chance to succeed?
Dak/kellen
Rodgers/Rodgers

I think a guy like Rodgers should be calling his own plays anyway, he is smart enough, and has many years
of experience, he doesnt need anyone to call his plays.

If jerry got rodgers, and let him call his own plays, I think even I would be drinking that kool aide lol.
Or just get him, and even with boy genius calling plays, it would be so much different.

Wilson is a step down, but can still run it, and it would be interesting too. I also think Russell is smart enough
to call his own plays.

I know I am dreaming, but it is off season, and it is a exciting day dream lol.

As far as the money, Rodgers would probably bend on that if he wanted to come here, and thats
why letting him run the offense and call his own plays might get him to come here cheap, on a 2 year deal.
How bout daks ginormous cap hit?

Acceptablename

Reaction score
Ok first I know we cant force trade Dak, but if he wanted to be traded, it could be done.

The solution is to bring in Rodgers or Wilson, and tell Dak your now the Bkup dude :cool:
If he wants to sit on bench for most of season he can collect his check. But I think Dak would want to be
traded, so he would then pick a team and they could get a trade done , if that team wanted him.

I may be wrong but if he was traded, he could redo his deal/ contract to make it happen.

Now I hear that jerry likes attention, keep the team in the news, keep team relevant !
I hear this almost daily here.
What would make dallas the most relevant and talked about team?
Well getting Rodgers #1 or Wilson # 2 ! If he got Rodgers, jerry would have 100's of media wanting to talk to him, internet would explode !

And Rodgers is I think undefeated in ATT, and said he loves playing there. He is older now
and would probably love playing in a comfy dome for 8-9 games, and only a few outdoor games.

He would have some good WR , good RB, and if jerry let him be the oc/play caller/qb , the offense would
probably be awesome.

Jerry wants a SB, or at least champ game, and which scenario has best chance to succeed?
Dak/kellen
Rodgers/Rodgers

I think a guy like Rodgers should be calling his own plays anyway, he is smart enough, and has many years
of experience, he doesnt need anyone to call his plays.

If jerry got rodgers, and let him call his own plays, I think even I would be drinking that kool aide lol.
Or just get him, and even with boy genius calling plays, it would be so much different.

Wilson is a step down, but can still run it, and it would be interesting too. I also think Russell is smart enough
to call his own plays.

I know I am dreaming, but it is off season, and it is a exciting day dream lol.

As far as the money, Rodgers would probably bend on that if he wanted to come here, and thats
why letting him run the offense and call his own plays might get him to come here cheap, on a 2 year deal.
cant read any further then figure a Dak trade out. I dont understand the cap ignorance.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
so dump mike, you guys come up with all these excuses, to not try and do something lol. You guys would have never sailed to the new world, because
it is flat we will fall off, there are monsters out there, there is no land over there etc etc.

If jerry wanted to make it happen he could, he just needs to get out of his comfort zone and being a dak supporter, and do some work for a change,
and get it done!
I think I would find another team if Rodgers came here cant stand him and never want to see him with a star on his helmet!

Flamma

Reaction score
ok thanks, very good explanation.
It is that bonus money that is the problem, which is the signing bonus.
It is messed up they can spread that out 5 years !

But you validate dak is trade-able if he wants to be traded. The whole idea is to make him want a trade.

It is all feasible, it just goes against standard football mentality.

Everything falls apart if Dak doesn't want to be traded.

Flamma

Reaction score
He was a Cowboys fan before we drafted him He wanted to be a Cowboy

I forgot about that. And to be honest, I don't want any of these disgruntled QBs on the Cowboys. Not Wilson, Rodgers, Watson, Murray, even Favre, none of them. Jerry needs to focus on building a better team around the QB he has. Something he should have been doing ever since Parcells left.

Flamma

Reaction score
daks top 10 qb stil and yet fans here speak as if hes bottom 10 this is insane sure they like him a TEAM should be able to win with top 10 qb..

hater alerts all over these threads.

fix the OL, play calling, and run game for dak same as Russ get that yet? dak will be fine..

I agree. If Garoppolo can get to a SB and Championship game within the last 3 years, obviously it can be done. And the 49ers, although a very talented team, they're not stacked top to bottom like we used to see years ago. Jerry needs to learn how to put the better team on the field. Just by accident we should have been in a championship game over the last 26 years. Something else is wrong here.

Flamma

Reaction score
I wanted to sign Brady instead of franchise-tagging Dak.

I don't think Brady would have come to Dallas. He chose his team carefully. He wants the deck stacked in his favor. Dallas would not have done that for him.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
He was a Cowboys fan before we drafted him He wanted to be a Cowboy
that conflicts with the fact dak was mad about not being drafted in 1st or 2nd round.
He could have went to any team if he got what he wanted.
if denver had drafted him # 10 overall he would have been happy to be there, and probably would have said he was a denver fan and wanted to
be a bronco.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
that conflicts with the fact dak was mad about not being drafted in 1st or 2nd round.
He could have went to any team if he got what he wanted.
if denver had drafted him # 10 overall he would have been happy to be there, and probably would have said he was a denver fan and wanted to
be a bronco.
Problem is he is not and never was a Denver fan

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
dang, I hope he comes here.
kissing-emoji.gif

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Even depleted, we would still have a better chance of winning w/out Dak holding us back offensively.Rodgers and Wilson both have the ability to make others around them better, unlike Dak.
So how do you propose we get this done? Are you going to convince Dak to forgo his no trade clause, and if so, how do you propose convincing him? What do we do about Mike McCarthy as well, since it's well known Rodgers hates him? And also, how do you convince Jerry to do this since we're just a bunch of insignificant fans on a message board? I also want Dak replaced, but in this real world, he has a no trade clause in his contract so everything we're proposing outside of a mobster deal will probably be impossible.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I don't think Brady would have come to Dallas. He chose his team carefully. He wants the deck stacked in his favor. Dallas would not have done that for him.
He might not have, rodgers and wilson may not want to come here, but you/they wont know unless you ask.
If anything, just trying to make a deal, and it fails might light a fire under dak and the team.

Many here said rams gave too much for stafford, and he would fail in playoffs, like he did in detroit.
Now Rams have another ring, it paid off.
If you dont make some big moves you probably continue to be mediocre, which is what dallas has been.

I am just stating what I would do, jones boys wont do this, they dont have it in them.
So dont worry, same team same coaches lol same results next season, have fun!!:thumbup: