Twitter: Jerry: "Some of the fundamentals of football and coaching were what beat us out there today"

Creeper

Reaction score
Comments like this, at this point in the season can send the season down the tubes. Its not that Jerry is wrong. He is not wrong. Watching the Cowboys defense and specials teams miss tackles EVERY GAME is frustrating. But why express his frustration now with 5 important games left in the season? I get that he is frustrated and wanted to win yesterday. I get that he is unhappy with how they lost. But every week we see the same horrible fundamentals and its been going on for years. Jerry's problem is he gets the players he thinks are great, overpays them and he sends them out there expecting them to pull it together on their own, like the Bad News Bears. This is his fault. Garrett should have been fired a long time ago and the fans know this. Jerry is the only one who has been defending and supporting Garrett throughout this miserable period in Cowboys history. Noting he says now is going to make the Cowboys tackle or block better. And nothing he says now is going to make Garrett make better game decisions.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
9 years of horrible fundamentals .

Why express that now ?, besides Garrett is a heck of a coach, he will have a Head coaching gig in a week after being released.

cowboyed

Reaction score
Ironically, Garrett's weak point as head coach may be the same as Wade Philips when he was our head coach and that got him fired in the regular season. Letting assistant coordinators and assistant coaches do their mending or doing their own thing.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So fix it.

This is the beginning of the end of the Garrett era. His final season of disappointment. Even Jerry Jones' seemingly never-ending patience with him has, in fact, reached its end.

This is just my opinion, but I think that their relationship has soured a bit.

First, the 'what if I had hired Belichick?' story comes out. And then on Sunday before the game, the story breaks about Garrett and the Giants?

Yeah, people can think what they want, and so can I. I don't think this relationship is anywhere near what it once was, and I think both sides have already started planning for the end of it.

Last edited:

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
...and I blame you. Mr. Jones. The Cowboys have been crappy tacklers all year and the special teams appears to be a draw it up in the dirt squad.

conner01

Reaction score
Jerry has had it. He's telling Jason now what he's going to do later, or else.

I wouldn't be surprised if they fired the special teams coach tomorrow.
I would
20 yds of on a punt because we couldn’t get lined up
Not telling a rookie to move up on a kick off
I know very little about Quinn but our special teams have been really bad this year

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
I would
20 yds of on a punt because we couldn’t get lined up
Not telling a rookie to move up on a kick off
I know very little about Quinn but our special teams have been really bad this year
It was like that LAST YEAR but Jethro and his boy Jason didn't see it.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Jerry has had it. He's telling Jason now what he's going to do later, or else.

I wouldn't be surprised if they fired the special teams coach tomorrow.
I really think the ST coach is cleaning out his desk today. JJ and JG has to blame someone. ST has been a pain all year. Situational coaching during the game was a problem yesterday. I think JG and Moore may have gotten a little to conservative.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
He’s the one who put this staff in place. Garrett? Did he forget that? Rod? Whatever....I don’t know why we must play this little silly tag game. I wish we had a more normal ownership structure instead of “Sideways slightly forward and back again in ten easy steps.”

chicago JK

Reaction score
The sad thing is that last night Belicheck was probably more pissed with their special teams than the cowboys (missed field goals and several punts going into the end zone). I am sure he will use that as motivation for improvement. Nothing gets left for chance with them.

Hot_Toddy

Reaction score
That is what I was talking about.

The Dallas Cowboys have only lost one single game by more than a TD (GB by 10).

It is the simple mistakes at the beginning of the game. Thus, a huge part of the reason for slow starts.

Look at our losses:

Patriots: 1st Quarter INT. And a missed FG

Green Bay: 2 1st Quarter INTS in the 1st QTR. And a missed FG

Jets: Missed FG *lost by 2 points*

Vikings: Missed FG 1st Qtr. And the Tavon Austin Fair Catch.

Saints: 2 Back to back drive fumbles in 1st half (Lost by 2 points); And didn't head to the sidelines to stop the clock with no timeouts to get in FG; instead throwing a hail-Mary which resulted in an int.

Just look above. This Team could be UNDEFEATED right now IF they practiced these very BASIC FUNDAMENTALS.

Do not turn the ball over early!
And take a *special* look at *special teams*. The 3rd Phase of the game.

This is NOT complicated.

I dont think jason gives much thought or time to the ST area, he just hires a guy and it is his problem lol.
then if it is bad just fire him after 5 years lol
Jason is still in the learning phase for offense, game plans, playbook, and game mgmt.

I want a Joe Avezanno (R.I.P.) type special teams coach. I can't think of any ST coach that was better than him.