Jerry: There were 7 options, 5 of them eliminated yesterday

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Marcus Spears was drafted in the 1st round back in 2005.

Not with our first pick. That was D Ware. Note* FIRST DT taken with the first pick since Maryland. I get your disappointment over not taking a S. I am too BUT I'm not going to dis the pick based on Taco and on disappointment over not picking a S

UncleOscar

Reaction score
I knew it. This was made based on Marinelli's influence. Unbelievable. You pass up on a college career long starting multi-positional proven stud and gifted/talented DB over a much needed coaching DT3 who never once started last year and needs a lot of help? :facepalm:

Other than 1 play or 2 at the most, watch Hill get dominated by little school Temple last year.

Plus Hill who had all kinds of problems with the new coaching staff resulting in being disciplined, not starting, and generally being a jerk? Sounds like we didn't learn our lesson with Irving, Gregory and Taco. Perfect Marinelli draft pick.

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
I knew it. This was made based on Marinelli's influence. Unbelievable. You pass up on a college career long starting multi-positional proven stud and gifted/talented DB over a much needed coaching DT3 who never once started last year and needs a lot of help? :facepalm:

Other than 1 play or 2 at the most, watch Hill get dominated by little school Temple last year.

You ever thought that maybe the front office knows more that you do...:huh:..Cowboys have had excellent drafts that last few years. Everyone dogged the picks of LVE, Jaylon Smith and DAK but love them now.

Sydla

Reaction score
If it's so important why have they ignored it so much over the years? All of a sudden it's the most important position? Shut up

Our 3Ts over the years......

- a guy they originally drafted to be a DE in Crawford

- a third rounder in Collins

- a cast off with mental issues in Irving

And then a gaggle of guys like Ward, etc.

lonestar2288

Reaction score
I wanted Hill...but at 58 he is a reach. Thornhill, Rapp and Adderley had higher grades by many nor in that Dallas FO. And if he was gone in the 3rd? Greg Gaines and Wrennel Wren were comparable picks. Probably would be an easier pill to swallow if it was Zach Allen instead of a S. What's now done is done

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You pass up on a college career long starting multi-positional proven stud and gifted/talented DB over a much needed coaching DT3 who never once started last year and needs a lot of help? :facepalm:
That was college. As a projected NFL player the Cowboys liked Hill better.

Carson

Reaction score
Not sure why everybody is so shocked.

All day in Dallas they said if Hill is there, he’s the pick

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We really don't know how much, if any, he was overdrafted. There's no telling where he was rated on other teams boards. He probably could've been taken in the early 3rd, but that would've required a small trade back. It's unlikely he would have been there at 90.

I think that’s true, too. They wanted him, so they took him at the spot they were in because they didn’t want to get cute.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If it's so important why have they ignored it so much over the years? All of a sudden it's the most important position? Shut up

Thanks for pointing that out. Saved me the trouble.

If the position is "most important", why has it been treated as an afterthought for years?

Sydla

Reaction score
Not sure why everybody is so shocked.

All day in Dallas they said if Hill is there, he’s the pick

This franchise is totally transparent come the draft. They leak like a boat made of Swiss cheese.

Sydla

Reaction score
I think that’s true, too. They wanted him, so they took him at the spot they were in because they didn’t want to get cute.

But they may have gotten a bit cute if the reports of them thinking they were OK at safety because they could get Harris at 90 are true.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But they may have gotten a bit cute if the reports of them thinking they were OK at safety because they could get Harris at 90 are true.

I’m sure they legit thought Hill was the better bet over the term of a rookie contract. I don’t like the pick either, but they took the guy that they wanted more and hoped a guy they liked at a position of greater need would make it to them at 90, and he didn’t. At least they’re drafting their board, though. Hard to get too upset over two trench players.

Dylan88Wilson

Reaction score
Hopefully Harris going before our pick saves us from ourselves and forces us to take a “chance” on CGJ.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

How is that cute?

They obviously considered which player would more likely be available at 90 and prioritized the DT position. Harris ended up getting selected at 81. That’s not far off.

Folks need to stop treating their own opinions as fact as to where Hill would have been available.

Every team has to make those same type of decisions and miss out on players they like.

Last edited: