Jerry trying to "hijack" Goodell's new contract extension

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
If I recall correctly they need 24 owners to do anything important. Just 9 are enough to scuttle any extension.

The article mentions that it would take 24 owners to approve a new commissioner but doesn't mention how many it takes to approve the extension. But it's a pro-Goodell article. The owners aren't highjacking anything. They are making decisions in the best interest of their franchises.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This goes beyond the Elliott situation now as the NFL brand and product are suffering from several angles, so I'm not surprised that more of the team owners are starting to reconsider what's best for the league and their teams.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The article mentions that it would take 24 owners to approve a new commissioner but doesn't mention how many it takes to approve the extension. But it's a pro-Goodell article. The owners aren't highjacking anything. They are making decisions in the best interest of their franchises.
I *think* his extension is handled by a committee of around 6 team owners who were selected by all of the owners a while back to oversee and approve an extension for Goodell. The term "hijack" is semi-correct here because Jerry is (was) not on that committee.

That said, when the committee members were selected, the NFL was in better shape, both brand and reputation wise, so it was more of a given conclusion Goodell was getting an extension, and the committee's job was to simply determine the variables of his new contract.

superonyx

Reaction score
Having stadium after stadium across the country erupting into serious hatred level Booing anytime this man shows up should not only mean no contract extension but also possible banishment from stadiums and nfl events.

These owners will only have themselves to blame for the continuing erosion of their fan base if they tell America that this is the man they believe represents the product they need to sell the nation.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This goes beyond the Elliott situation now as the NFL brand and product is suffering from several angles, so I'm not surprised that more of the team owners are starting to reconsider what's best for the league and their teams.

They certainly should! I was shocked when I had first heard about any extension, especially given the state of the league.

I honestly haven't seen a dingiest positive thing Goodell has done since fleecing the players in the last CBA. And that accomplishment only goes so far.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
They certainly should! I was shocked when I had first heard about any extension, especially given the state of the league.

I honestly haven't seen a dingiest positive thing Goodell has done since fleecing the players in the last CBA. And that accomplishment only goes so far.

And the NFL holds all the cards in a work stoppage situation so the CBA wasn't some great accomplishment that can't be done by someone else.

Cowboy89

Reaction score
Jones, Kraft, New Orleans owner probably want him out for the obvious reasons. Wonder who else dislikes him.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And the NFL holds all the cards in a work stoppage situation so the CBA wasn't some great accomplishment that can't be done by someone else.

Oh, exactly right. When you've got players that spend their money faster than they make it, you're going to lose every standoff.

These owners are billionaires. They can afford to wait it out.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
I can’t think of another commsioner that has had more poorly handled affairs than this moron. He’s a public relations nightmare and has poorly handled everything from a team spying on other teams to a woman being knocked out cold in an elevator with video evidence.

I strongly felt he was an idiot long before this Zeke travesty.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Oh, exactly right. When you've got players that spend their money faster than they make it, you're going to lose every standoff.

These owners are billionaires. They can afford to wait it out.
The key is they have nowhere else to display their talent. Unlike the other major sports.