Jerry with Fish: I want everyone focused on winning

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Do NFL owners know where they stand? Can the TV contracts with NBC, ESPN, Amazon, YouTube, DirecTV be dismissed at anytime. Are season ticket holders only asked to commit 1 year at a time? Sounds like to me the owners "secure the bag" FIRST.

How about I pay for my tickets after the season based on how the season ended? Does that ever happen?
looooooooooooooooooooooooooooool too funny

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I wish he would just stop talking.
You've watched too many Hallmark Christmas movies with happy endings.

While I do wish he would stop doing pressers, I have to admit that they are entertaining - sad, but entertaining.

:muttley:

Sydla

Reaction score
You've watched too many Hallmark Christmas movies with happy endings.

While I do wish he would stop doing pressers, I have to admit that they are entertaining - sad, but entertaining.

:muttley:
They used to be entertaining.

Now they are a sad reminder of what a poop show this franchise is.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wish he would just stop talking.
Dallas sports radio host Corby “The Snake” Davidson made an interesting hypothetical yesterday. He said if Jerry were told he could win 3 straight SBs on the sole condition that he not speak at all - ever - to the media, would he agree to do that? Corby said no way and sadly that is the truth. JJ is addicted to the media and his perceived self importance. It is crystal clear now. Winning a championship is not as important to JJ as being in the spotlight.

We have an over the hill 81 year old GM who has insulated himself with people who tell him exactly what he wants to hear. History has shown us in multiple arenas that great leaders surround themselves with smart people who are empowered to tell the leader the truth as they see it. Great leaders listen to alternate opinions.

By the above metric, we do not have a great leader.

plasticman

Reaction score
Then why is Jerry sitting there talking to a reporter? Get off your butt and find a way to increase the talent pool of your team!

If you are a GM then start acting like one.

bewp7

Reaction score
dont want to hear about winning from a guy who bring back a head coach whos entire team and coaching staff did not even show up for a playoff game

loser coach loser owner loser qb

lot of losers for so much talk about winning

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
Dallas sports radio host Corby “The Snake” Davidson made an interesting hypothetical yesterday. He said if Jerry were told he could win 3 straight SBs on the sole condition that he not speak at all - ever - to the media, would he agree to do that? Corby said no way and sadly that is the truth. JJ is addicted to the media and his perceived self importance. It is crystal clear now. Winning a championship is not as important to JJ as being in the spotlight.

We have an over the hill 81 year old GM who has insulated himself with people who tell him exactly what he wants to hear. History has shown us in multiple arenas that great leaders surround themselves with smart people who are empowered to tell the leader the truth as they see it. Great leaders listen to alternate opinions.

By the above metric, we do not have a great leader.
Basically he can't do what Bob Kraft did...which is why I ultimately agree that he is a narcissist.

Brax

Reaction score
No, didn’t work for a union.

Excellence can be achieved with multiple ways of running an organization. For example, our country has the best military in the world and it is definitely not run like a corporation.

A very successful corporate business model does not translate to every organization in the world. You can’t run a football team (the on-field part of it) like a Fortune 500 company. Jerry makes a ton of money on the Cowboys because he’s a great business man. We don’t win playoff games because he’s a lousy football man. Because to achieve excellence in one doesn’t necessarily translate the same to the other.
Bob I think your misconception of what he is say is leading to the problem, Jerry runs on family and friends, corporations look to put the best people in strategic positions to ensure success at all levels so in reality it should be no different, nepotism and family is a sure fire way to not get the best results, point in case Dallas

birdwells1

Reaction score
With how you lower the cap hits for early years you're absolutely correct, I'm just saying that Jerry isn't really lying here. He's inflating the numbers a little bit, but the metric that is being used by teams in evaluating contracts is AAV by % of cap in the year they signed. By that metric hes absolutely right that three guys will be taking up more than half the cap.

When talking about a Dak Prescott who is now on the wrong side of 30 years old and Parsons who has suggested he doesn't want to play past the age of 30 you have to factor in how much you want to backload these deals because renegotating may not be an option as you get to the expensive years....depending on how long they sign for I guess.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bob I think your misconception of what he is say is leading to the problem, Jerry runs on family and friends, corporations look to put the best people in strategic positions to ensure success at all levels so in reality it should be no different, nepotism and family is a sure fire way to not get the best results, point in case Dallas
I like using the US military as an example of excellence that does not use a corporate model. It does not care”who your daddy is” or “how much money he’s worth.”

One of the great things about pro sports is its players earn spots on a team based solely on their talents and ability to help a team win. There is zero nepotism at work on NFL rosters. If you can’t play, you aren’t on a team.

Apparently it’s the exact opposite if you are an NFL owner like Jerry. You can hire your kids for literally any position, promote them, pay them top dollar and in Jerry’s case, hold none of them accountable for any level of failure on the field. Btw, the Jones model is not even a good corporate model. Few other Fortune 500 companies are run with Daddy’s kids having lifetime contracts. Sure they make a lot of money but that’s in spite of their on-field performances.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score

Everything in that video is accurate but is an oversimplification of the issue.

1) yes the cowboys have the lowest payroll in the league but they are just a Ceedee Lamb extension from being towards the middle. A dak extension would likely put them towards the top.
2) signing guys earlier is what the cowboys should be doing I agree completely.
3) they almost always pay high signing bonus money. Daks last contract they paid him $75m year one to keep the cap number down. That still doesn’t make the cap number go away though, you’re just pushing it back.

Signing all three of these guys does create a tight cap moving forward, Jerry is spot on about that, his 80% numbers are just inflated as it’s closer to 50-60%

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Free agency is hit and mostly miss. I agree that Jerry hasn’t been active in free agency, but we (generally) draft good players and sign them. So, I’d actually prefer this is the case over being crafty in free agency…hitting once in a while, but missing a bunch. I agree that we could (and should) do more, but then you have the issue of maturity and belief in the core of the team. This is why I say Jerry has never really believed in Dak and this is more evidence of that lack of belief.
If Jerry doesn’t believe in Dak, why is Dak still here? For a third round comp pick?

DandyDon52

Reaction score
A team focused on winning has a head coach and starting QB that know where they stand with the organization
they had that last year and look how poorly they did!
What jerry does aside from FA and drafting is mostly irrelevant.
These guys get paid millions, dak 40 mil a year, so although jerry is a albatross, you have to overcome and ignore that and focus
on your part of getting the job done.

Hard to do with a HC that is not that good, and a GM who is a goofball, but that is the job. Take it or leave it.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
If Jerry doesn’t believe in Dak, why is Dak still here? For a third round comp pick?
Removing Dak blows the team up immediately. If he was ready to do that he fires McCarthy. That’s why he kept both as lame ducks. It ain’t hard to see.