Jerry with Fish: I want everyone focused on winning

plymkr

Reaction score
Wow those were some interesting quotes from Jerry about Dak a couple minutes in, starting with "Dak has positioned himself to make the call"

It really sounds like Jerry is not on board with paying all three of these guys.
3 thoughts:
1. Jerry does look pissed.
2. If Dak isn’t signed in TC then this will be his last season. My gut is telling me Jerry gave his final offer and it’s up to Dak to accept it.
3. I think CD will be the only player of the big 3 extended. JMO

plymkr

Reaction score
The Green Bay game broke him....
I agree. This reminds me of the interviews he was doing when Jimmy left and it was the first TC with Switzer. Jerry seemed a little tense and defensive then and now. Interesting.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
He has 3 players wondering about their next contract and he wants them focused on football. Perhaps he should sit down and get all the deals done and then everyone can focus on winning games. It's human nature.
They all still have a huge check coming without new deals. Generational wealth that .001 will ever see in their lives. If they can't concentrate on football with that current situation then we need to move on. They are not championship material.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
This team does not sign free agents, their last Tier 1 free agent was Brandon Carr over a decade ago...........so telling Dak, Micah, and CeeDee to take less so you can spend on free agents will get you laughed out of the room.
Free agency is hit and mostly miss. I agree that Jerry hasn’t been active in free agency, but we (generally) draft good players and sign them. So, I’d actually prefer this is the case over being crafty in free agency…hitting once in a while, but missing a bunch. I agree that we could (and should) do more, but then you have the issue of maturity and belief in the core of the team. This is why I say Jerry has never really believed in Dak and this is more evidence of that lack of belief.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
Fantasy football is thinking this front office will pay for free agents….

Like I said above, the issue isn’t not paying guys. The issue is not having a plan and sticking your head in the sand isn’t a plan.
What happens when you realize you need to change the plan? Adjustments to a football plan is like changing course for a cruise ship..it takes time to redirect and get pointed in the right direction. So, this feels like Jerry is tearing down this team…that was clearer to me after we let Tyron go. He still has something left in the tank and doesn’t need to practice much, but if you’re done with Dak, why keep Tyron? So again, abandoning a plan…getting a divorce…is not sticking your head in the sand. A man knows…getting a divorce can be the best decision you ever make.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
100% its funny he is kinda saying "Everyone ELSE needs do what needs to be done to win" Hey self proclaimed ship captain..heres a thought how bought you hold the GM accountable for the 28 year drought and do what needs to be done first!
I agree with your overall point about Jerry lack of accountability for his performance, but your post reminds me of something Jerry said (basically): ‘Dak has had enough help and we’ve done an elite job of putting offensive talent around him.’ He’s basically saying, “I’ve been a damned good GM…except for the QB I don’t believe can get us to a SB…and I never have believed he was that guy. That’s why I made him sweat and franchised him TWICE…and then told him to his face I overpaid him.”

Man..I was really nervous before this press conference that Jerry would buckle and pay Dak. But I’m reinvigorated hearing these quotes honestly. He’s seeing what I’m seeing…FINALLY. Again, I called that GB loss beforehand…and for the right reasons…they seemed obvious to me.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
The absurdity of JJ’s stance is that by dragging his feet on all negotiations, the contract demands only go up.

The FO is simply in denial of the current market trends in the NFL.

How can you deploy a “draft and develop” strategy and then refuse to sign your top players?

After watching that interview, it is clear that JJ does not know how to win with this group of players.

This clownshow is melting down and the pads haven’t even come on yet.
Jimmy openly said he’s advising Jerry. If Jimmy got that performance from his team…would he have made each of them the highest paid at their respective positions?

Jimmy didn’t let the Cowboys eat dinner after losing a mid season game to Washington.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Cowboys fans of all stripes (randomly)...and almost none of them want Dak to get a new deal .
Trust me, there are just as many fans who don't care or have no problem with him getting paid. As some here have said, it's not their money. A lot of the don't-pay-dak fans are the ones who have problems with most, if not all these players getting 2nd mega contracts. In other words, the fans who love players on rookie deals but turn on them after their 2nd contract. Your sampling is small and it may surprise you to see/know how many pro-Daks fans are out there. Hint.......don't go by what you see/hear on this board

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
there is no distinction between jerry and the org. and you're referencing signing all 3 and free agents? they've signed none and no free agents. it's been a dumb and unproductive strategy, and has put the team in a precarious position all of jerry's own doing.
See my post about getting a divorce. The team was a good team that won 12 games 3 years in a row…and could have won more. But he believes they are fatally flawed so why pay them top dollar? Especially if money might make it worse? Better to let one or all of them WALK.

The only guy I would lose sleep over would be CeeDee. For Micah I might roll up a blunt. Dak…? I’d sleep like a baby.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
What happens when you realize you need to change the plan? Adjustments to a football plan is like changing course for a cruise ship..it takes time to redirect and get pointed in the right direction. So, this feels like Jerry is tearing down this team…that was clearer to me after we let Tyron go. He still has something left in the tank and doesn’t need to practice much, but if you’re done with Dak, why keep Tyron? So again, abandoning a plan…getting a divorce…is not sticking your head in the sand. A man knows…getting a divorce can be the best decision you ever make.
You believe they have a plan? I’m not seeing it

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The Green Bay game may well have been the turning point.

The Cowboys entered that game as prohibitive favorites. It wasn't just the fans, but the team, coaches and especially Jerry took it as a given that they would win.

And, they didn't just lose. They were embarrassed on national TV

Sure, Jerry sounds pissed. I wonder if he recognizes his role in that debacle? He has been at the nexus of every contract, draft selection, FA signing, coaching selection for more than 35 years.

The real question, the only question, is what's he going to do about it? Simply getting angry and stating that everyone should focus on football is a hollow observation.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sure, Jerry sounds pissed. I wonder if he recognizes his role in that debacle? He has been at the nexus of every contract, draft selection, FA signing, coaching selection for more than 35 years.
The easy answer is no. Jones is putting his foot down to 'teach his players and coaches' they should focus on winning. He has constantly believed he has put together teams that can win playoff games. He places no real criticism onto himself for their shortcomings. And any critiques he may state publicly are simply deflections.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
What person in Corp America knows where they stand year to year, they are all quite available to be dismissed within minutes And I’m supposed to feel bad about someone who is under contract to make $55m this year?! Give me a freaking break dude with this line of HS.
Do NFL owners know where they stand? Can the TV contracts with NBC, ESPN, Amazon, YouTube, DirecTV be dismissed at anytime. Are season ticket holders only asked to commit 1 year at a time? Sounds like to me the owners "secure the bag" FIRST.

How about I pay for my tickets after the season based on how the season ended? Does that ever happen?

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
They all still have a huge check coming without new deals. Generational wealth that .001 will ever see in their lives. If they can't concentrate on football with that current situation then we need to move on. They are not championship material.
Owner been had generational wealth. Does that stop them from wanting more come negotiation time?