Jerry with Fish: I want everyone focused on winning

rags747

Reaction score
How can a team be focused on winning with this GM? The week of the GB playoff game last January he was mugging for Netflix camera crews…in full view of the practice fields. The same GM who couldn’t make it to TC on time because he was in court trying to settle his fun-baby issues.

A team focused on winning has a head coach and starting QB that know where they stand with the organization. “Ambiguity” is not conducive to winning in pro football.
What person in Corp America knows where they stand year to year, they are all quite available to be dismissed within minutes And I’m supposed to feel bad about someone who is under contract to make $55m this year?! Give me a freaking break dude with this line of HS.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What person in Corp America knows where they stand year to year, they are all quite available to be dismissed within minutes And I’m supposed to feel bad about someone who is under contract to make $55m this year?! Give me a freaking break dude with this line of HS.
Running a pro football team with a purpose to win a championship is completely different than running a corporation solely dedicated to making a profit.

Btw, I’m not telling you to feel bad about anyone, lol. That’s your choice.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
JJ, wants everyone focused on winning, yet every year, he refuses to do what it takes to ensure a team has what it needs to win, e.g., realizing there are gaps at certain positions yet not addressing them (RB this year, LBs last year, WRs several different years, interior DL multiple years, etc). Especially with regards to FA.
He specifically said that we've had some pretty good teams and haven't done much with the talent. He's directly calling out the will to be great. We can blame him for certain things including whether he's put together a team capable of winning it all but he isn't wrong that the teams that have taken to the field should have been able to get better results than they got.

He's being as direct as I've heard him be in quite a while.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
How can a team be focused on winning with this GM? The week of the GB playoff game last January he was mugging for Netflix camera crews…in full view of the practice fields. The same GM who couldn’t make it to TC on time because he was in court trying to settle his fun-baby issues.

A team focused on winning has a head coach and starting QB that know where they stand with the organization. “Ambiguity” is not conducive to winning in pro football.
in one voice he says he wants the team To be focused on one thing...winning. in another interview he says "I try to stir it up. And I have since I got here. That’s good. Be relevant. It works.” which is disruptive to team culture and dynamics of the team and is not conducive towinning. JJ alone has wasted the years of very talented (several HOFers) players because he chose to be the most talked about team versus the most cohesive, focused and talented team. He needs to look in the mirror when he says win or get out of here.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Seems to me like Jerry should be focusing on improving his team. He has work to do, instead of making demands on his players! Not a good idea!

rags747

Reaction score
Running a pro football team with a purpose to win a championship is completely different than running a corporation solely dedicated to making a profit.

Btw, I’m not telling you to feel bad about anyone, lol. That’s your choice.
Excellence is demanded daily by a top football team or a top Corporate, there is no difference. Maybe you worked for a Union?

Plankton

Reaction score
Oh the irony of the man more concerned with relevance than winning, saying that he wants everyone focused on winning.

It's leadership like this that sets this franchise apart from the also-rans in the league.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A culture, that was planted with the divorce from a two-time defending Super Bowl head coach, and fertilized with narcissist crap for nearly thirty years, keeps sprouting championship poorly-determined fruit. Now, the gardener has finally convinced himself he has been using the wrong fertilizer, after all these years, and wants to see what his yield will be without his tons of manure.

I do not know what he expects. Guy has a black thumb.

mcmvp

Reaction score
What a pathetic jumble of words. This guy is not only an embarrassment when he talks, he looks old and incompetent too.
I agree… Eagles fans like to joke that we want that guy to live forever, but it’s almost to the point where I feel sorry for Cowboys fans…almost lol

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I don’t think I’ve seen Jerry this pissed since the Ratliff debacle.

He basically said, “all in” means no focused on contracts/next year/probowls, etc…get it done or you won’t be here.

:)

I wish it applied to him and that son of his as well.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Excellence is demanded daily by a top football team or a top Corporate, there is no difference. Maybe you worked for a Union?
No, didn’t work for a union.

Excellence can be achieved with multiple ways of running an organization. For example, our country has the best military in the world and it is definitely not run like a corporation.

A very successful corporate business model does not translate to every organization in the world. You can’t run a football team (the on-field part of it) like a Fortune 500 company. Jerry makes a ton of money on the Cowboys because he’s a great business man. We don’t win playoff games because he’s a lousy football man. Because to achieve excellence in one doesn’t necessarily translate the same to the other.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

He basically said, “all in” means no focused on contracts/next year/probowls, etc…get it done or you won’t be here.

Coach Jerry should have implanted that standard in 1996.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score

Maybe I am just a little slow, buy my UT education tells me that if the salary cap is $255 million, how does paying Dak, Lamb, and Parsons come to 75-80% of that???

Dak $60
Lamb $35
Parsons $40

IF you gave all three guys 1-yr contracts for these amounts (totally absurd, I know) it would be $135 million..................that is still only 53% of the cap so how the hell does Jerry come up with these numbers??

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
You are not giving a billionaire enough credit. BTW, this is an org strategy...not just Jerry. Jerry is basically saying that he's not going to pay Daniel Jones money just to have someone around and placate the fans ...which is what the Giants did. Dumb contracts have long tails and if Jerry was to sign free agents AND all 3 guys....2026 would be a crap show. You guys don't care about it, but you would in 2026...barring some miracle SB run. So...if you want to be good in 2026...you can't pay Dak, Micah, CeeDee...AND get free agents. That's fantasy football...especially if you have questions about their character.
This team does not sign free agents, their last Tier 1 free agent was Brandon Carr over a decade ago...........so telling Dak, Micah, and CeeDee to take less so you can spend on free agents will get you laughed out of the room.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
The absurdity of JJ’s stance is that by dragging his feet on all negotiations, the contract demands only go up.

The FO is simply in denial of the current market trends in the NFL.

How can you deploy a “draft and develop” strategy and then refuse to sign your top players?

After watching that interview, it is clear that JJ does not know how to win with this group of players.

This clownshow is melting down and the pads haven’t even come on yet.