Jerry's coaching conundrum has the Cowboys cornered

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I actually think a guy like Greg Williams would be nice hire. He has coached the Saints defense to a SB and he is finally clear of the bounty crap. How about Mike Shanahan. He knows how to use a good running game and is a good at preparing a team and making adjustments. I would of been fine seeing Ken Wisenhunt come in and work with Dak

None got head coaching jobs anywhere else, even Shanahan in Denver with Elway. Shows what the consensus opinion is of each.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That is just pathetic. Anyone would be an improvement over Garrett. He is HORRID at the football thing. Getting rid of Garrett also means getting rid of this horrid offense. Its like killing two birds with one stone. I think we can see quite clearly that as long as Garrett is here, we will have some form or another of his boring, horrid, predictable, beat the man in front of you, offense. We will get dumb decisions like hiring a one year QB coach to call plays.

I'm not defending Garrett, but it's accurate. Nobody hired has shown to be any better than what Garrett has done.

erod

Reaction score
I know the OP isn't a fan of Dak so maybe I'm reading this post with bias, but it seems like one of the many post @erod makes that title has nothing to with Dak, but when you read it, it's about Dak . Lol just seems like it's saying, doesn't matter what coach or offense you bring in because it won't work with Dak. Could be wrong though .

The QB is always a part of any conversation like this for sure, but the real point is Jerry's reluctance to make any move that appears to be an admission of failure.

His ego needs this to work with this structure. Winning it any other way would ding his pride.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So you live your life based on pessimism? It could be worse, but it could be better. Embrace the mediocrity because the unknown is scary? Wow, that sounds like an amazing life philosophy. How many more players need to have wasted careers to prove that Garrett just doesn't have what it takes to HC? Honestly, I think his skillset is better suited to GM or scouting.

I used to believe in Garrett. I used to defend him. No more.
I agree his skill set is better suited to be GM. I believe it’s his influence over personnel which has been the difference.

And if I believed Jerry would totally let go and pursue HC who’d receive more credit I’d be open arms. But based on Jerry’s history of coaches this era I am pessimistic about who’s coming in here and where I think most fans aren’t accepting the reality Jerry’s ways presents.

Supporting Garrett isn’t an endorsement of his coaching ability just the job he’s doing influencing Jerry for a more competitive team. And honestly I haven’t seen a championship caliber team this era yet. When I do perhaps I’d feel we are wasting talent.

And realizing the results Jerry’s ways presents is all about accepting mediocrity. I’m amazed we’re as competitive as we are and not more like Cleveland or Detroit but we have just enough talent to keep our head above water. As always since Jimmy left we are a talent dependent franchise. We will go as far as our talent will take us.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Smart analysts and ex-players have stated that Garrett wouldn't land a coaching job if Jerry cut him this year .

Here is an example :

Fire407

Reaction score
In the 70's and again in the 90's we used to anticipate every year about how far we would go in the playoffs and we were expecting(or certainly hoping for) Super Bowl victories. This generation hasn't experienced any of that feeling. Now it's just lucky if we make the playoffs. I wanted Garrett fired right along with Wade to give the Cowboys a clean start. Instead JG got promoted, which always felt wrong to me--like he was happy losing the first part of 2010 knowing he would get promoted. Ironic now that Wade is in his third Super Bowl since Garrett took over the Cowboys.

birdwells1

Reaction score
On this one, we're on other planets at opposite sides of the sun.

I see nothing like that today.

I do get why you'd say that, but the basis for saying that went away a long time ago. Jerry first swallowed a big dose of his pride when he allowed Parcells into the inner kingdom for the time that he did.

Then, any residual quest for pride remaining in Jerry was quenched when he put on the gold jacket. Regardless how any of us on the outside see it, in his mind (which is the only place that matters to this vein of discussion), Jerry has no detractors anymore that he has to actually regard as legitimate.

With Red, it's not about Jerry getting credit as-if he needs anyone's acclaim at this point, but it might very much be about Garrett being like a son to him... and the pride that comes from seeing someone who you regard that way succeeding.

Of course, it is a business. And Stephen will remind Jerry of that after next season if Garrett hasn't made it to the NFC championship game. The adopted son will be asked to step aside for someone else.

I beg to differ, no one looks at JJ as a "football" guy even though he's in the HoF. Do you think that he made the HoF do to what he's done inside the lines? No he didn't he got in for his contributions to the NFL (tv contracts, endorsement deals), JJ is still trying to prove the world wrong as far as football is concerned.

Praxit

Reaction score
...what gripes me. Patriots looked dead in the water 5 wks ago. Most peeps saw Chiefs, Chargers and Ravens getting to the big game. When the dust cleared, it was NE once again.

I asked myself how? Coaching...coaching and coaching. NE makes the most out of nothing. Bellichick is a football guru.

..Not to hijack thread with opening statement. But its relevant, because Jerry still doesn't get it. Keeping Garrett, wont bring us any further. Life is built on patterns. They are almost sure shot, when decisions have to be made. Garretts tandem here has been average at best. Pushing 10 yrs, 3 playoff wins and a bunch of popcorn.

I saw nothing different that would prove he's the guy, with the loss to Rams. OUT-Coached again.

_sturt_

Reaction score
I beg to differ, no one looks at JJ as a "football" guy even though he's in the HoF. Do you think that he made the HoF do to what he's done inside the lines? No he didn't he got in for his contributions to the NFL (tv contracts, endorsement deals), JJ is still trying to prove the world wrong as far as football is concerned.

Trying to prove the world wrong as far as football is concerned that his team, the Cowboys, can't get back to the Super Bowl. Yes, he will take pride in that if it ever happens on his watch.

But, to the point being made here...

UNLIKE his early years when he was competing with Jimmy for public regard for his football instincts and wisdom, that's been by the wayside ever since he backed down and let Bill Parcells on his ship and allowed him the control that he did.

And even more so, now that he's in the HoF... the details as to why anyone is there glazes over as the years roll by... he's established his right to honor in the place of football royalty, and can't re-establish it as a GM in addition to establishing it as an owner.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Oh brother.
:rolleyes:

You forget. Garrett would abandon the run in the first quarter.

There was no screen passes to the back, no passes to the backs, no 4 WR sets, no 5 WR sets, no WR screens, no motion. Dez was out on an island. Never put in motion, never in the slot. No pick plays, no rub routes. We were the lowest "play action" team in the NFL.

When we would get up by 23 points and running the ball at 8 yards a clipp, Garrett would come out in shotgun in the 2nd half throwing the ball. Romo would throw 3 picks in the 2nd half and we would lose with 20 point halftime leads!!!

Romo DEMANDED on his last contract that HE be allowed to run the offense and NOT Garrett. He would NOT have signed otherwise. It was a MANDATORY condition.

Honestly..................What is wrong with you? 14 years of horrid Garrett.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
The Rams offense is run oriented. They run the ball just as much or more than the Cowboys do. It's just that when they do pass, their systems and schemes are far superior and more effective than the stale mess in Dallas.
Same goes with the Saints who actually run the ball more than Dallas does.

We need to be full strengrg on the OL.

Gameover

Reaction score

BlueStar22

Reaction score
Jason or Linehan should have been fired last year. Jason and Linehan should be fired this year. Line is gone...and the two lowest scoring outputs by an NFC Pro Bowl team came while Jason was coaching it.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Here is where Jerry sits:

Projection for 2019
i

Dallas Cowboys (10-6)

Projected over/under: 8.5 wins (over -125, under +105)

Cowboys fans will likely see this as easy money, given that Dallas went 7-2 after trading for Amari Cooper and won't have any cap constraints preventing Jerry Jones from retaining the team's core contributors. The reality is that few teams project as more likely to decline than the Cowboys, who played more like an 8.4-win team all season and will face a first-place schedule in 2019.

Dallas finished the year 8-2 in games decided by seven points or fewer, and nothing about its track record under Jason Garrett suggests it will be able to keep that up.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-vegas-win-totals-unders-all-32-nfl-teams#dal

Fans won't put up with a 'company line' much more, unless things project stronger than at present...