Jerry's coaching conundrum has the Cowboys cornered

817Gill

Reaction score
You must be young.

None of that used to be the standard here. This market once had Patriots-like expectations every year.
Well except for the Patriots no team consistently goes to SB’s and championship games. You must be old cause it’s the salary cap era now and the league has made it so that the league is super competitive and has a lot of parity.

The years of expecting a franchise to be a SB contender every year is gone. The only way to build a contender for years is to draft well, coach well, and have a franchise QB on a reasonable contract.

We draft well and I’m a believer that Dak’s the type of guy to have the self awareness to know he will have all the endorsement $$ he needs to allow for other teammates to be signed. Much like Tom Brady and his contracts.

We’ll see how the coaching ends up in the next few years as there weren’t many clear upgrades available this offseason. But the team is being built the right way.

We are the only franchise who brings up the whole history of the team when evaluating a season or roster. I don’t understand why, take the emotion out and look at the present not 1993.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Like most all of you, I've seen enough of this stale one-act play. Garrett did some important things here, but that was long ago, and it's definitely time for a new coach and approach.

But who? And how?

All of Jerry's GM sins are haunting him right now, and the Cowboys are a cloudy mess. What are the Cowboys wanting to be exactly? And who would really want to come here of any repute?

Some say he wants Sean Payton, and that makes enough sense with their history. But I just don't see how that would work.

Beyond just the contractual aspect of this, what has Payton ever done without Drew Brees? He got fired as the Giants' offensive coordinator. And just how is he going to institute his offense here with Dak Prescott? That offensive style just doesn't suit Dak's strengths and weaknesses.

Much of the same can be said for Josh McDaniels, or Lincoln Riley, or any other young passing guru coach out there. That's the flavor of the day, but just where is the fit for a coach like that in Dallas right now?

The eyes say this is a run-oriented, defensive football team, which is the opposite of what the Sean McVay crazed league is heading toward. That's perfectly fine, but it doesn't warrant the type of coach that everybody is clamoring for.

Rather than trying to incorporate things this offense isn't suited to do with Dak, wouldn't it be smarter to go after a more defensive-minded head coach in the traditional Parcells or Jimmy model?

That's what Jerry has hoped Garrett would become. Garrett takes that type of approach, but it's not amounting to anything beyond moderate regular season success. It works much of the time, but when a game gets sideways and the Cowboys have change up, most of the time they just can't.

A change of scheme is a good idea if you can do it. Maybe this team can make that change, and maybe it can't.

I think Jerry is afraid to take that leap of faith on a big-money new coach, and I think he's afraid to hear the truth from that new coach when he gets here. Money owed means power, and Jerry doesn't like handing that over to anyone. So he does nothing. Again.

Jerry, Garrett, and Dak are forever intertwined. They will win or go down together.

If Jerry capitulates and brings in a new guy, it won't be his idea. He hates that. It means WE were right, and even in grand victory, it will be a bitter pill. His way didn't work. Ours did.

That's like Jimmy Johnson all over again, and it would gnaw him to his core.

Question: What group of people do Ego Maniacs often happily brag on more than themselves?
Answer: Their kids.

_sturt_

Reaction score
That’s mere speculation based on the assumption Jerry’s isn’t capable of making better decisions and being influenced which we know simply isn’t true.

I could give several examples of Jerry still very much involved. The Cooper trade is a great example but there many others in recent years.

I'm not sure how to read this... literally, not sure how to read this, as-in, not sure if you're disagreeing with me, or agreeing with me.

I'm saying Jerry clearly has 51% of the vote in the room. So, yes, if you call that a "GM," and he certainly does call himself a GM, then yes, he's the GM. But he's not a GM in the way that most franchises' GMs in pro sports are GMs. It is a different structure. There is a room, and there are other people in it, and that they are influencers.

My understanding of the Cooper trade is that most all reports have it that there was no one in that room who opposed that pursuit.

Hopefully we all read the same reports, and have basically that same impression.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well except for the Patriots no team consistently goes to SB’s and championship games. You must be old cause it’s the salary cap era now and the league has made it so that the league is super competitive and has a lot of parity.

The years of expecting a franchise to be a SB contender every year is gone.

A Dallas Cowboys fan wrote that.

Don't blame him. Blame Jerry.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'm not sure how to read this... literally, not sure how to read this, as-in, not sure if you're disagreeing with me, or agreeing with me.

I'm saying Jerry clearly has 51% of the vote in the room. So, yes, if you call that a "GM," and he certainly does call himself a GM, then yes, he's the GM. But he's not a GM in the way that most franchises' GMs in pro sports are GMs. It is a different structure. There is a room, and there are other people in it, and that they are influencers.

My understanding of the Cooper trade is that most all reports have it that there was no one in that room who opposed that pursuit.

Hopefully we all read the same reports, and have basically that same impression.
I was responding to your earlier response to ksboys I’ve copied in quotations .

“We have good reason to believe Jerry's opinions on player acquisition (draft and free agency) have been muted by his son in recent years. He may be the "GM" in title, but no GM lets others opinions trump his own.

Many fans are to be forgiven for the presumption that traditional top-down decision-making structures are universal.

They've never been part of an executive structure where a superior only claims 51% of the vote, and thus, if the rational part of his brain can be won-over by just 2% by the others in the room, their opinion carries the day.

It is clear in the DAL FO that Stephen, in particular, is altogethercapable of winning over his dad. Abundantly.

This is not the same old Jerry Jones, at least in that way.”

This came off as if Jerry has taken a lesser role which I’m arguing he’s always been influenced and listens to advice . It’s like what Parcells said” you have to convince Jerry to go against his instincts”. So, this isn’t something new with Jerry.

Yes, I do partially agree with your statement that Jerry isn’t the typical GM but I disagree he’s taking a lesser role. He’s just trusting his influence more because they’re having some success.

Hadenough

Reaction score
I'd counter the argument with this:

Who was actually available this year?

Based on the hires made, I'd say not much.

So, if Payton wasn't available, or more likely decided to stay another year in New Orleans as long as Brees is there, there isn't an option available that would be a big improvement.

Next year? That might all change. Payton could be available, Riley could be ready, or Richard might be a viable, in-house candidate.

I just don't think there was much of an opportunity for a true upgrade this year, as sad as that is to say.
I actually think a guy like Greg Williams would be nice hire. He has coached the Saints defense to a SB and he is finally clear of the bounty crap. How about Mike Shanahan. He knows how to use a good running game and is a good at preparing a team and making adjustments. I would of been fine seeing Ken Wisenhunt come in and work with Dak

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The Rams offense is run oriented. They run the ball just as much or more than the Cowboys do. It's just that when they do pass, their systems and schemes are far superior and more effective than the stale mess in Dallas.
Same goes with the Saints who actually run the ball more than Dallas does.

The Rams are more effective because it's less predictable when they're going to run or pass. They have an integrated attack. We have two separate attacks.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I'd counter the argument with this:

Who was actually available this year?

Based on the hires made, I'd say not much.

So, if Payton wasn't available, or more likely decided to stay another year in New Orleans as long as Brees is there, there isn't an option available that would be a big improvement.

Next year? That might all change. Payton could be available, Riley could be ready, or Richard might be a viable, in-house candidate.

I just don't think there was much of an opportunity for a true upgrade this year, as sad as that is to say.

That is just pathetic. Anyone would be an improvement over Garrett. He is HORRID at the football thing. Getting rid of Garrett also means getting rid of this horrid offense. Its like killing two birds with one stone. I think we can see quite clearly that as long as Garrett is here, we will have some form or another of his boring, horrid, predictable, beat the man in front of you, offense. We will get dumb decisions like hiring a one year QB coach to call plays.

_sturt_

Reaction score
This came off as if Jerry has taken a lesser role which I’m arguing he’s always been influenced and listens to advice . It’s like what Parcells said” you have to convince Jerry to go against his instincts”. So, this isn’t something new with Jerry.

Yes, I do partially agree with your statement that Jerry isn’t the typical GM but I disagree he’s taking a lesser role. He’s just trusting his influence more because they’re having some success.

So, yeah, we're in the same ballpark, then, absolutely. Thanks for clarifying.

nobody

Reaction score
Honestly, because nobody seems to be going anywhere anytime soon, I think our first goal right now has to be getting the offense to start the game like it's the 4th quarter. If they could be consistent throughout the game, this team would go much farther, with much less stress, and maybe the backups could get a few reps in the last quarter. Could Moore be the guy to get things rolling earlier?

The defense showed that it's not quite ready yet either, but I'm less worried about them. Almost all the pieces are there, just need a few tweaks, I think.

These issues keep popping up, though, so
Great point and we act as if the other 31 teams have HOFers and there's only 1 HC right now assured of the HOF.

I stopped responding to the answers to "if not Garrett whom? when they were "anyone would be better". That's so ridiculous. Most of us are like the husband that keeps coveting the other wives and not appreciating his own. We could, and have done worse, just as we have at QB.

I was early off the Garrett wagon on the old site but still wanted to know "if not him, what HC can we get"? These are not the usual circumstances that a HC would have to work under.

I am not on the hammer Garrett wagon now. I do not care for him and do not like to watch him on the sideline but how in the hell do I hammer a guy that turned his 3-5 team into the East winner and did win a playoff game and took the NFC SB team to OT on their own playground? Damn, how does anyone spear that guy. It's hard as hell to win a NFL game, just ask any HC, and he takes a 3-5 team and clinches his division with a game to spare and catches this kind of hate?

I gotta say, I am disappointed in a lot of posters hammering the guy after what this team accomplished. Stop looking at what they didn't do and look at what they did! Some of the same ones that were sticking a fork in him after 8 games are still doing that and that is not fair. Especially after you now have evidence to just how involved the Joneses are. Hell, we might find ourselves wishing we had Garrett back.

It's an interesting point you make, but with Garrett, it's about the same things that keep happening over and over in his tenure and not just this one season. There's ALWAYS an excuse. I'm done granting him those excuses. He's never made it past the divisional round and by this point, I don't think he ever will. Under him, it seems like the players just come out plain unready in the divisional round.... What's sad is that I don't think it's lack of player effort. I think it's poor leadership and poor game planning. It's a terrible ability to make adjustments and just blame it on execution. There is something to be said about it, but it's the height of arrogance to see that the players aren't executing the plan and stick with it. Perhaps some change could help merely because it can generate a spark.

The Rams knew what we were going to do and made a plan to beat us. It worked. Why? Because the coaches insisted on "play better" rather than doing something different..... That falls squarely on the head of Garrett and has been the staple of this team his entire time as a coach.

So yeah, going from where the team started the season to making the playoffs is great, but when added to the entire body of work coaching, it shows a pattern.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That is just pathetic. Anyone would be an improvement over Garrett. He is HORRID at the football thing. Getting rid of Garrett also means getting rid of this horrid offense. Its like killing two birds with one stone. I think we can see quite clearly that as long as Garrett is here, we will have some form or another of his boring, horrid, predictable, beat the man in front of you, offense. We will get dumb decisions like hiring a one year QB coach to call plays.
So, you’d rather have Campo or Gailey back. How about another round with Wade without the team Bill built or Switzer without the team Jimmy built?

Next puppet up could be much worse.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
A Dallas Cowboys fan wrote that.

Don't blame him. Blame Jerry.
The only consistency throughout this drought is the sox to jocks GM and son and they have made a joke out of what once was a proud NFL franchise. Just sad how fans can be satisfied with the last 25 years of incompetence and now new bloods who are satisfied with just competing. Poor souls never had a taste of backing a truly competitive team who's only goal was playing for championships, not gold jackets and satisfying egos.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score

<drops mic>

:hammer:

nobody

Reaction score
So, you’d rather have Campo or Gailey back. How about another round with Wade without the team Bill built or Switzer without the team Jimmy built?

Next puppet up could be much worse.

So you live your life based on pessimism? It could be worse, but it could be better. Embrace the mediocrity because the unknown is scary? Wow, that sounds like an amazing life philosophy. How many more players need to have wasted careers to prove that Garrett just doesn't have what it takes to HC? Honestly, I think his skillset is better suited to GM or scouting.

I used to believe in Garrett. I used to defend him. No more.

Little Jr

Reaction score
I know the OP isn't a fan of Dak so maybe I'm reading this post with bias, but it seems like one of the many post @erod makes that title has nothing to with Dak, but when you read it, it's about Dak . Lol just seems like it's saying, doesn't matter what coach or offense you bring in because it won't work with Dak. Could be wrong though .