Jerry's decision not to fire Garrett weeks ago backfired

Cas2800

Reaction score
It was pretty clear a month ago that Jason Garrett was not going to get a new contract with the Cowboys after another disappointing season. At that time Jerry went public to say that he would not fire Jason during the season. Many speculated that Jerry didnt want hurt Jason's feelings and just wanted to let him ride off into the sunset. Others believed Jerry believed Jason would turn the team around and the Cowboys would still make a playoff run and a chance to resign Garrett. Others (like me) felt that by Jerry firing Jason would mean that not only did Jason failed, but so did Jerry because Jason was Jerry's hand crafted head coach.

In hindsight, I think it all backfired on Jerry because what happened is the players knew Jason's failure to adapt or change meant their nothing was going to change and the season was over. The players quit. And when that happened I think players started turning on players, Fans and media turned on the players. I mean, who really takes a lame duck coach serious when trying to prepare week to week? Needless to say I believe had Jason been fired weeks ago this team would not have collapsed weeks ago.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It was pretty clear a month ago that Jason Garrett was not going to get a new contract with the Cowboys after another disappointing season. At that time Jerry went public to say that he would not fire Jason during the season. Many speculated that Jerry didnt want hurt Jason's feelings and just wanted to let him ride off into the sunset. Others believed Jerry believed Jason would turn the team around and the Cowboys would still make a playoff run and a chance to resign Garrett. Others (like me) felt that by Jerry firing Jason would mean that not only did Jason failed, but so did Jerry because Jason was Jerry's hand crafted head coach.

In hindsight, I think it all backfired on Jerry because what happened is the players knew Jason's failure to adapt or change meant their nothing was going to change and the season was over. The players quit. And when that happened I think players started turning on players, Fans and media turned on the players. I mean, who really takes a lame duck coach serious when trying to prepare week to week? Needless to say I believe had Jason been fired weeks ago this team would not have collapsed weeks ago.
Yep

It certainly wouldn’t have hurt. A Lame Duck coach is rarely an asset.

But it’s how desperate Jerry is to retain Garrett. Just pitiful and really all we need to know about Jerry’s agendas.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Not sure ........I agree with the backfiring but IMO he should have fired him after last season. We should be ending the first year of a NEW coach. Pretty sure he'd like to have that decision back today.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
I don’t think it backfired but that’s probably because I don’t think it would have made any difference. The only person to step into his place would have been the positional coach who’s players regressed badly so I’m not seeing what the accomplishment would have been.

But I also think that he thought the stability of not making a change they could sneak into the playoffs. Now people would ask what difference that would have made because they wound probably be one and done anyway. Well that one game would make millions for Jerry because it would have been a whole game.

Cas2800

Reaction score
I don’t understand why they performed so well against the Rams if they had all already quit.

Me either. Some speculated some on the team went rouge and the defense was playing more press coverage. They against the eagles they went back to that soft zone. Maybe quit isn't the right word but there are clearly problems going on behind closed doors that we know nothing about. I'm sure it will come to light soon.

Cas2800

Reaction score
I don’t think it backfired but that’s probably because I don’t think it would have made any difference. The only person to step into his place would have been the positional coach who’s players regressed badly so I’m not seeing what the accomplishment would have been.

But I also think that he thought the stability of not making a change they could sneak into the playoffs. Now people would ask what difference that would have made because they wound probably be one and done anyway. Well that one game would make millions for Jerry because it would have been a whole game.
A home playoff game means millions for Jerry. I'm guessing Jerry feels his decision probably backfired because he still is going to have to fire Jason.

CB61

Reaction score

I'm not so sure about that ? it's possible you are correct but hard to imagine? I really thought that exactly as you did but like many people on here said they weren't too thrilled about who was going to take over? I don't know how it possibly could have been worse but we all know how Jerry is the closer everybody else thought he should be fired Jerry defended him? Here I go beating that dead horse again but I'm saying the culture in Dallas is rotten to the Core and until they fix that along with a new coaching staff I see nothing but mediocracy

Blackrain

Reaction score
Wouldn't have made a bit of difference.

This is a vastly overrated roster of unlikable players that mostly need to be gone.
We dont agree on much but I really like this overrated and unlikable players. Couldnt have said it better

Kaiser

Reaction score
In hindsight, I think it all backfired on Jerry because what happened is the players knew Jason's failure to adapt or change meant their nothing was going to change and the season was over.

Can you name a team that fired their coach at midseason and then went on a winning streak?

I can name a team that was 3-5 at midseason and then went 7-1 in the second half. It was the 2018 Cowboys.

"Fire that bum" sounds great to a fan on his couch but in reality you can't swap out everything on the fly at midseason. The only times it happens is when they promote a coordinator like Callahan and even knowing the system and players, it still rarely turns the team around.