CFZ Jerry's reluctance to go all in

Blackrain

Reaction score
I'm surprised Jerry hasn't gone back to taking big swings as he's aging. Not that I'm sure that'd be a great strategy, I'm just surprised he hasn't done it.
Yep he seems to have gotten conservative in his old age unless it's Steven who's the fly in the ointment.
But it kills me now that we have some competent coaching you would think he would go all in.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Please define "go all in" .............the Eagles template is NOT going all in.
I define go all in as when you have a very good roster and you have some good coaching and you are missing a few players that could you get you over the top be active in free agency shoot the works and get the players that will take you to the championship

LonnieElam

Reaction score
His instinct was to go after Manziel a few years ago. Y’all want him to go all in? Lol
That was about jersey sales. My boy works for the Cowboys, and we all went to the draft party. Jerry already had over 100 manziel jerseys made to sell right then and there at the draft party. If it's true Stephen actually convinced him to get Martin, then that's the ONLY positive thing he's done for this organization.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
How should we take this as fans most of us have adjusted our expectations but I don't think any of us really planned on us never going to do enough to win a championship for fear of not being relevant for a couple years.

This is where we stand our owner and GM is not going to be active in free agency or aggressive enough to get us over the top he is very much satisfied with just making the playoffs and staying relevant.

I adjusted my expectations long ago knowing his limitations as a general manager but now it's even more than that it's not his lack of skill but it's his fear of staying relevant.
Worse yet he doesn't even really know the condition of the teams that he speaks about when comparing the eagles and the Rams One team really emptying the bucket and the other having plenty of first-round draft picks to continue to bolster their team.

When you're winning 12 games a season it should be a great time to be a Cowboys fan but when you know that that is the absolute ceiling with maybe a playoff win you can't help but feel despondent

We continue to soldier on we stay the course we root for the laundry but it's all an exercise and futility with an owner and GM that just won't do what's necessary and go the extra mile to get us over the top.
I don't ever see us ever hoisting the Lombardi as long as Jerry is the GM.
Our ceiling is the divisional round of the playoffs.
Think I am exagerating ?
28 years of evidence proves I am right..

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I define go all in as when you have a very good roster and you have some good coaching and you are missing a few players that could you get you over the top be active in free agency shoot the works and get the players that will take you to the championship
Ok ....I was under the impression its what the Rams have done the past 2-3 years or the Giants did a few years. They both tried to build a Super Bowl via high-priced free agents and/or trades.

https://www.celebritynetworth.com/articles/sports-news/new-york-giants-200-million-free-agency/

tunahelper

Reaction score
How should we take this as fans most of us have adjusted our expectations but I don't think any of us really planned on us never going to do enough to win a championship for fear of not being relevant for a couple years.

This is where we stand our owner and GM is not going to be active in free agency or aggressive enough to get us over the top he is very much satisfied with just making the playoffs and staying relevant.

I adjusted my expectations long ago knowing his limitations as a general manager but now it's even more than that it's not his lack of skill but it's his fear of staying relevant.
Worse yet he doesn't even really know the condition of the teams that he speaks about when comparing the eagles and the Rams One team really emptying the bucket and the other having plenty of first-round draft picks to continue to bolster their team.

When you're winning 12 games a season it should be a great time to be a Cowboys fan but when you know that that is the absolute ceiling with maybe a playoff win you can't help but feel despondent

We continue to soldier on we stay the course we root for the laundry but it's all an exercise and futility with an owner and GM that just won't do what's necessary and go the extra mile to get us over the top.
Jerry wants to compete at 9-12 wins, so fan interest keeps the stadium full and merchandise selling. He does not want down years where he cannot pay the enormous loan interest on Jerry world. He wants consistent profits that keep money steadily flowing. That is the hard truth.

LonnieElam

Reaction score
have more rodeo's at the stadium, a few more motocross or some high school games lol. that's going all in. oh don't forget some old washed up singers. lol
I saw Garth Brooks there, and it was one of the best concerts I've ever been to. I also saw Blake Shelton (the country Jimmy Buffett), and I couldn't stop laughing. He sweated so much I thought he was die, and his fans were, uh....I can't use the R-word.

doomsday808

Reaction score
Jerry's problem is that he does go all in. With bad, long term contracts. Jalen smith still makes me cringe!

Mannix

Reaction score
I have no problem with Jerry getting rid of Cooper but telegraphing to the whole league that you're dissatisfied with him and only getting a ham sandwich when you could have probably gotten a third round pick was just plain stupid.
Someone in the draft will take a decent QB right before us, just like Philly moved up one spot to steal Dallas Goedert from us....that fool cannot keep his damn mouth shut like a real GM should.

Acceptablename

Reaction score
Cooper started out well and flamed out later. Same result with or without him.
I think there’s a caveat to that discussion. Dak Did increases stats yeah I assume you’re referring to wins it’s always something

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I take it as they are willing to build good but not great teams. Their goal seems to be build a team to make the playoffs not neccessarily go deep in the playoffs. It is more important to them that they are seen as contenders every year than actually take the risk of going all in and having a down year or 2 after.