Jesse Holley: "Source tells me it's going to take 4 years more years for this team to shine."

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Well if you say so...
Aaron Jones like this since Mike left....
tenor.gif

Chuck 54

Reaction score
When you have a top offense with everyone signed and coming back, it doesn’t take 4 years to rebuild a competitive defense. I wonder if the “source” meant serious SB contender.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
When you have a top offense with everyone signed and coming back, it doesn’t take 4 years to rebuild a competitive defense. I wonder if the “source” meant serious SB contender.

I think that's more accurate. We just spent a draft on the defense. We'll spend the next one, and it has lots of comp picks. And maybe do better with free agent money next year.

Diggs, Gallimore, Robinson, Anae. Hill, Gifford, Wilson.
LVE. Gregory.

We've *seen* LVE look great, and as a rookie. Maybe he can not break for a while. Back half of 2018 was pretty good for Gregory.

We've got pieces. Even some filler for next year with Woods, Hamilton, and Armstrong.

And we'll have some money by getting rid of bad contracts. Crawford. Jaylon. Lee. Poe. (McCoy). Just recovered some money this year by dumping Griffen.

We've got to get Jaylon off the field to avoid his injury guarantees kicking in for the next *2* years. He looks so done. "Ow ow ow my back" is the only way he even sniffs his current contract for the next two years.

CowboyinMD

Reaction score
I think it starts with a HC who can put his stamp on the team. Jerry realized that guys like Campo and Chan Gailey weren't gonna get it done, so he brings in a HOF coach, knowing full well that he would have to give up some control when it comes to player personnel.

I know this isn't 1989. But honestly if we're rebuilding, I'd be in favor for letting McCarthy go and bringing in Urban Meyer. Let him build this team his way, starting with a top 5 overall pick. There's more upside to that. Currently, under this regime, there's no upside.

I guarantee you this: back in 1988 this franchise was also going nowhere. They even had less talent than this squad. But in 4 years, well, the rest was history. That doesn't happen without changing the culture in Valley Ranch. And since the owner isn't going anywhere, the next best bet is getting a younger energetic head coach, and hoping that Jerry will let him run the show

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
We need to pay Amari Cooper 20 million a year because that's what good teams do right? They invest a ton into WR's?

Signing Cooper to an elite contract was baked into the cake once we gave up a first for the right to do so. No way Jerry could let Cooper walk after that. Give up a first for a year and a half rental?

Cooper's contract was very team-friendly, considering that he had all the leverage over Jerry. Only 2 years guaranteed.

And Cooper has worked out better than we had a right to expect. He's easily top 10. He makes a difference. He gives us a guy who produces even when doubled, and is a legitimate deep threat.

Compare to the money pit of the Hot Boyz, DLaw, Crawford, Jaylon. That's some waste.

The time to complain about Cooper was when we let Garrett mortgage a future 1st round pick to save his bacon for one more year.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I know this isn't 1989. But honestly if we're rebuilding, I'd be in favor for letting McCarthy go and bringing in Urban Meyer. Let him build this team his way, starting with a top 5 overall pick. There's more upside to that. Currently, under this regime, there's no upside.

There is no reason to feel married to McCarthy. He picked his guy for DC, and that has not turned out well. The lack of motivation on the defense reflects on McCarthy too.

McCarthy needs to demonstrate some value this year beyond his resume. What has turned out well in his staff? I have the impression he was a force toward taking older players that didn't pan out too.

coult44

Reaction score
I like Jesse but that statement makes no sense. No team in this NFL era plans for a 4 year rebuild. No credible source within the organization who is making real decisions would make such a statement.

the source was Everson Griffen

kskboys

Reaction score
Unless it's Jerry drafting injured players and potheads and refusing to take DT's and S's.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Jesse’s source is right

Luckily we will have a top-5 pick and a boatload of picks to start the rebuild.

Dre11

Reaction score
That is probably due to the people we have running this organization. Sean McVay was in the Super Bowl year 1. Doug Perderson won a Super Bowl in year 2. If you have the right personnel people....you can be competitive in 2 years!

and both teams went out and spent money on top FAs and made big trades. Stephen wont do that.

thechosen1n2

Reaction score
We need 2 or 3 good drafts to rebuild the defense and O-line. I’m thinking 2023 is the earliest we can hope for a championship quality team.

I disagree..

Smith, Martin, Collins, Bidiaz (dont feel like looking it up) Looney back up, Connor williams, the other connor, and Knight. Draft Smiths replacement and start grooming him.

That line will be pretty good.