Audio: Jesse Holley talks about Dez's $55k rookie dinner

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Man, what these dudes did was ridiculous... The only thing of note was that Dez didn't pay the whole bill, because it was split among the rookies, but still who don't think Dez paid for the bulk of that meal... Some of the stuff he said, I would be pissed off again after hearing this.

What exactly did Dez Bryant spend $55,000 on? Former Dallas Cowboy Jesse Holley joined Shan & RJ and talked about the night … that included one of the rarest bottles of alcohol in the world!

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2014/06/05/fomer-cowboy-speaks-about-dezs-55k-rookie-dinner/

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
It's funny how athletes pretend to have class now that they're rich. I lived in Miami. LeBron was notorious for calling in to the fanciest steak houses, order the most expensive steak, getting it well-done, and having it pre cut into tiny little pieces before he got there. Might as well have went to Denny's.

My point is, these guys wouldn't know the difference between a $50,000 bottle of wine and MD 20/20.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pouring the Cristal into flower pots? I think if I was Dez i would have pretended to go to the bathroom. Went and paid the bill for my own food and for the few that were not acting that way...and leaving the rest of the bill for those who were just throwing stuff away like pouring cristal into flower pots.

Nation

Reaction score
Tough for me to feel bad for him on this one as he should have just carried the shoulder-pads like every other rookie ever. First round draft picks are always kept in check when they come into the NFL because they've spent the last 8 years or so being told how special they are from recruiters to boosters to agents and everyone else along the way from HS to NFL. Bill Parcells used to make his first round picks bring him water during camp as a way of bringing them back to earth. Roy Williams the player was a bum, and the trade for him was awful, but he was doing what every other veteran of a positional unit would do. Dez wanted to be treated differently and he certainly was.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
It's funny how athletes pretend to have class now that they're rich. I lived in Miami. LeBron was notorious for calling in to the fanciest steak houses, order the most expensive steak, getting it well-done, and having it pre cut into tiny little pieces before he got there. Might as well have went to Denny's.

My point is, these guys wouldn't know the difference between a $50,000 bottle of wine and MD 20/20.
Cooking any cut of steak well done is such a waste of a great piece of meat.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Tough for me to feel bad for him on this one as he should have just carried the shoulder-pads like every other rookie ever. First round draft picks are always kept in check when they come into the NFL because they've spent the last 8 years or so being told how special they are from recruiters to boosters to agents and everyone else along the way from HS to NFL. Bill Parcells used to make his first round picks bring him water during camp as a way of bringing them back to earth. Roy Williams the player was a bum, and the trade for him was awful, but he was doing what every other veteran of a positional unit would do. Dez wanted to be treated differently and he certainly was.

Its surprising to me how few people feel this way. Heck when I played HS football we "hazed" freshman football players. As long as it wasn't bullying or mean spirited, no one cared. In a weird way, the young guys loved it because it made them feel like they "arrived". It was never more than things like carrying pads, getting water, or singing the school song.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think Dez not carrying RW's pads have anything to do with the dinner. After listening to the audio, these guys would've done this regardless.

$1300 for a shot?! That's crazy!

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
I don't think Dez not carrying RW's pads have anything to do with the dinner. After listening to the audio, these guys would've done this regardless.

It ain't pimp'n if you got it, lol.

In all seriousness, that is jacked up.

Nation

Reaction score

There would have been a rookie positional group dinner which is normal, they showed that with Bennett in Hard Knocks. They wouldn't have invited the entire defense and been dumping out bottles of cristal in the flowers though if the pads thing wasn't a disaster. Roy actually said as much when he/Austin/Crayton were asked to discuss it after the pad incident.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There would have been a rookie positional group dinner which is normal, they showed that with Bennett in Hard Knocks. They wouldn't have invited the entire defense and been dumping out bottles of cristal in the flowers though if the pads thing wasn't a disaster. Roy actually said as much when he/Austin/Crayton were asked to discuss it after the pad incident.

Even if it was a position group dinner, I still think they would've still been just as excessive.. There was too much ridiculousness described to make me think it would be any different.

Nation

Reaction score
Even if it was a position group dinner, I still think they would've still been just as excessive.. There was too much ridiculousness described to make me think it would be any different.

The full quote is below. We will have to agree to disagree on this one, but I am of the opinion that they clearly wanted to make a point with Dez here.

"If he doesn't want to take the pads, he doesn't have to take the pads. It's not a big deal. We'll just move on. We talked about it. He wants to concentrate on football. We're going to let him concentrate on football. But, when we go out to eat, I'm gonna be a little bit more hungry and a little bit more thirsty."

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The full quote is below. We will have to agree to disagree on this one, but I am of the opinion that they clearly wanted to make a point with Dez here.

I recall the quote, and it's one thing for the position group to do that and even react that way, but for the whole team? Naw man, that was just excessive and I'd guess that for the majority of them it had nothing to do with the pads. It was just about getting over.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Yeah, well, it might sound crazy, but as Holley said, when you factor in that you don't have to drink very much of it that brings the cost down to, like, $650 a shot or whatever. So, that's a pretty good deal.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Cooking any cut of steak well done is such a waste of a great piece of meat.

00ZFpBF.jpg

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
The really messed-up part is we have families in the US that can afford eat and these guys are dumping expensive wine in plants, SMH.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

Does that mean that those of us who like our steaks actually cooked lack class? Don't make me put on my good pair of overalls and come over there!

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score

Knowing the difference between a 50k bottle and MD 20/20 is what separates those with class from the classless?

Also, the "Steak Story" originated from a server that worked at XO in Cleveland, not Miami but don't let that stop you from making it sound like some local Miami dirt.