Audio: Jesse Holley talks about Dez's $55k rookie dinner

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think Dez not carrying RW's pads have anything to do with the dinner. After listening to the audio, these guys would've done this regardless.

$1300 for a shot?! That's crazy!
It was a horrible locker room back then with Wade as the HC.

Roy Williams was obviously the leader of the whole ordeal. I'm sure Crayton was Roy's right hand man in the process.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I don't care what they, or anyone else would have thought, I'd have paid my part of the bill and left and left them with their stupid over spending. I would make it real clear that I came there to play football not to be left paying stupid amounts of money for stupid junk like that.

JakeCamp12

Reaction score
This is why this team has such a difficult time getting over the .500 mark. Disappointing to hear about the waste and the way they treated Dez.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
It's funny how athletes pretend to have class now that they're rich. I lived in Miami. LeBron was notorious for calling in to the fanciest steak houses, order the most expensive steak, getting it well-done, and having it pre cut into tiny little pieces before he got there. Might as well have went to Denny's.

My point is, these guys wouldn't know the difference between a $50,000 bottle of wine and MD 20/20.

Because they grew up humbly they don't have taste buds?

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
I thought then as I think now he should have carried the pads. Garrett intervened and made a "managerial decision" which went to single Dez out as something special because of Garrett's caveat. This caused the problem to grow and then it was show the rookie 1st round choice who thinks he is too good to be a team player.

Cause and effect.

And I disagree with the notion if this had been a positional dinner it would have gotten out of hand. Far fewer people there and surely the ones ordering expensive wine and such would have had to face Dez in doing so.

But it goes back to the attitude he was too good to act like a rookie and Garrett making a poor decision. Tradition goes a long way and once again Garrett abetted the special treatment above the team.

Not Garrett's first, btw.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I thought then as I think now he should have carried the pads. Garrett intervened and made a "managerial decision" which went to single Dez out as something special because of Garrett's caveat. This caused the problem to grow and then it was show the rookie 1st round choice who thinks he is too good to be a team player.

Cause and effect.

And I disagree with the notion if this had been a positional dinner it would have gotten out of hand. Far fewer people there and surely the ones ordering expensive wine and such would have had to face Dez in doing so.

But it goes back to the attitude he was too good to act like a rookie and Garrett making a poor decision. Tradition goes a long way and once again Garrett abetted the special treatment above the team.

I think the real issue is that a veteran player should have been able to persuade Dez to carry the pads. I've played on different sports teams, was in a fraternity in college and had some friends that were part of sports clubs that were like this as well. Typically, if the person does not want to go along with the 'hazing', somebody comes along and reasons with him as to why it is done and why he should do it.

Apparently, not one single veteran either attempted to do that or could persuade Dez to do that.

To me, that is a sign of a lack of leadership. When nobody cares to show the rookie the way things are in the NFL and/or can't persuade him to change his mind.

YR

Frozen700

Reaction score
I recall the quote, and it's one thing for the position group to do that and even react that way, but for the whole team? Naw man, that was just excessive and I'd guess that for the majority of them it had nothing to do with the pads. It was just about getting over.

I completely agree, Don't blame Dz one bit for being pissed. We had a bunch of worthless players back then anyways, so this isn't really much of a surprise

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
I think the real issue is that a veteran player should have been able to persuade Dez to carry the pads. I've played on different sports teams, was in a fraternity in college and had some friends that were part of sports clubs that were like this as well. Typically, if the person does not want to go along with the 'hazing', somebody comes along and reasons with him as to why it is done and why he should do it.

Apparently, not one single veteran either attempted to do that or could persuade Dez to do that.

To me, that is a sign of a lack of leadership. When nobody cares to show the rookie the way things are in the NFL and/or can't persuade him to change his mind.

YR

I agree. This is also a bonding maneuver that is a rite of passage. You are correct, someone should have mentored Dez. But then RW may have been a pariah by that time. It is so doffocult to determine what the true mindset is in the locker room. If what we see on the field is the results of individuals instead of a team, then that might make sense.

Good call, YR!!

Frozen700

Reaction score
Knowing the difference between a 50k bottle and MD 20/20 is what separates those with class from the classless?

Also, the "Steak Story" originated from a server that worked at XO in Cleveland, not Miami but don't let that stop you from making it sound like some local Miami dirt.

0qw7zyL.gif

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score

Cause and effect.

So, Garrett was the one at fault for the players to dump their expensive drinks into flower pots? Makes sense...lol

muck4doo

Least-Known Member
Reaction score
Heh, reminds me of the time I saw some friends of mine drinking Bud Lite in a glass. You had to be there.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Heh, reminds me of the time I saw some friends of mine drinking Bud Lite in a glass. You had to be there.

I drink Bud Light in a glass every time I drink. It comes in a bottle....lol

theSHOW

Reaction score
This is why this team has such a difficult time getting over the .500 mark. Disappointing to hear about the waste and the way they treated Dez.

All this about poor Dez. Sean Lee was a 2nd round pick and most likely paid a substantial part of the bill. I haven't hear one peep from SL about this. Way to stay classy. I see a "ME' player in 88.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Pouring the Cristal into flower pots? I think if I was Dez i would have pretended to go to the bathroom. Went and paid the bill for my own food and for the few that were not acting that way...and leaving the rest of the bill for those who were just throwing stuff away like pouring cristal into flower pots.

Terrible.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
All this about poor Dez. Sean Lee was a 2nd round pick and most likely paid a substantial part of the bill. I haven't hear one peep from SL about this. Way to stay classy. I see a "ME' player in 88.

88 may talk the talk, but he sure as hell walks the walk...!

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score

None of those clowns are even on this team anymore, and Wade Phillips is not the head coach.

the culture is different. Dez has already said he won't be doing that to any of the rookies. It's about football.