Twitter: Jets cut PK Brett Maher

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

You remember him? Maher is the only kicker so far who has ever made 3 60+ yard FGs during a game, in a career, much less for the same team (Cowboys). Too bad he was the worst kicker in efficiency between 35 - 49 yard FGs in 2019. He easily cost the Cowboys 3+ games, even though for some it's easier to blame Dak! lol

Since he is now available, who wants Maher back?

:popcorn:

Whyjerry

Reaction score

You remember him? Maher is the only kicker so far who has ever made 3 60+ yard FGs during a game, in a career, much less for the same team (Cowboys). Too bad he was the worst kicker in efficiency between 35 - 49 yard FGs in 2019. He easily cost the Cowboys 3+ games, even though for some it's easier to blame Dak! lol

Since he is now available, who wants Maher back?

:popcorn:

Shocker

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I'm still annoyed that we hurriedly cut Bailey in favor of this guy.

Bailey had been going downhill for two seasons and was not kicking well in camp in 2018. The team couldn't know whether he would ever regain his form. He went on to make 75 percent of his kicks in 2018 before rebounding in 2019.

The fact that they decided to cut him was not the issue. The fact that they brought in no competition for Maher the next year when he only had made 80 percent of his kicks was.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
No one "hurriedly" cut Dan Bailey.

2015 - 93.8%
2016 - 84.4%
2017 - 75.0%
cut
2018 - 75.0% (Vikings)
2019 - 93.1% (Vikings)

I'm glad he bounced back last season but for 3 years he was anything but "money" Bailey.
Definitely true, but I think Zeuerlein made 75 percent of his kicks last season and we had no issue signing him to a multi year deal.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Maher was certainly an enigma . . . a guy who could hit FGs from 60 yds. but couldn't be counted on for 30-40 yarders. :huh:

It seemingly had the makings of a panicky hang-up. The kicks everyone thought he'd make with ease gave him mental stress.

Last edited:

Flamma

Reaction score
Everyone wants their kicker to be consistent. But other than that I couldn't give a crap about kickers. Does anyone remember the 70s Steelers kicker? The 90s Cowboys kickers? What about the 2000 Ravens or 2013 Seahawks kickers? Yeah the Bills would be 1-3 instead of 0-4 in Super Bowls, but in the 3 they lost it wouldn't matter if Jesus Christ was their kicker. If you're going to blame your kicker for multiple losses then I think your team has other problems. Other than 2001 I don't see kickers having too much impact on whether or not a team wins the SB.

RandyOh

Reaction score
Wasn't there a thread about how our kicker missed a 60+ field goal during training camp? We need a new kicker now. Sign him up :grin: