Twitter: Jets cut PK Brett Maher

MCMetal69

Reaction score
Everyone wants their kicker to be consistent. But other than that I couldn't give a crap about kickers. Does anyone remember the 70s Steelers kicker? The 90s Cowboys kickers? What about the 2000 Ravens or 2013 Seahawks kickers? Yeah the Bills would be 1-3 instead of 0-4 in Super Bowls, but in the 3 they lost it wouldn't matter if Jesus Christ was their kicker. If you're going to blame your kicker for multiple losses then I think your team has other problems. Other than 2001 I don't see kickers having too much impact on whether or not a team wins the SB.

I remember Eddie Murray kicking the Cowboys into the No#1 slot in the NFC back in 1993 during Emmitt's Separated Shoulder Game at the old Giants Stadium (what a dump).......I still have the ticket stub........................

Flamma

Reaction score
I remember Eddie Murray kicking the Cowboys into the No#1 slot in the NFC back in 1993 during Emmitt's Separated Shoulder Game at the old Giants Stadium (what a dump).......I still have the ticket stub........................

We're talking one fairly easy kick. How much did Murray have to do with us getting to that point in the season?

I remember cursing Dan Reeves before that game. You have to give him credit for getting teams to play much better than they actually are. The previous meeting Dallas were double digit favorites against the Giants and I had no problem dropping a king's ransom and giving up the points. Back in my gambling days. Then we meet them again and they're playing for the division.

bigE79

Reaction score
Everyone wants their kicker to be consistent. But other than that I couldn't give a crap about kickers. Does anyone remember the 70s Steelers kicker? The 90s Cowboys kickers? What about the 2000 Ravens or 2013 Seahawks kickers? Yeah the Bills would be 1-3 instead of 0-4 in Super Bowls, but in the 3 they lost it wouldn't matter if Jesus Christ was their kicker. If you're going to blame your kicker for multiple losses then I think your team has other problems. Other than 2001 I don't see kickers having too much impact on whether or not a team wins the SB.
Roy geralla..was the stealers kicker

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Proof that Front Office "executive" Stephen is not as great as you guys think.

Maher missed FG in like 8 games in a row, several of those close games.

Garrett (finally) on his post-game presser: "We will be bringing in kickers to evaluate."

Stephen the next day: "We like what we have at kicker" He literally said that.

2 games later, they finally pulled the plug on Maher. He missed FGs in 10 straight games at that point. We missed the playoffs by ONE GAME.

I keep trying to tell you people, Stephen and Jerry care way more about being right than about being great.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Rafael Septien!

Remember that name...

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Proof that Front Office "executive" Stephen is not as great as you guys think.

Maher missed FG in like 8 games in a row, several of those close games.

Garrett (finally) on his post-game presser: "We will be bringing in kickers to evaluate."

Stephen the next day: "We like what we have at kicker" He literally said that.

2 games later, they finally pulled the plug on Maher. He missed FGs in 10 straight games at that point. We missed the playoffs by ONE GAME.

I keep trying to tell you people, Stephen and Jerry care way more about being right than about being great.
Good point.

MCMetal69

Reaction score
We're talking one fairly easy kick. How much did Murray have to do with us getting to that point in the season?

I remember cursing Dan Reeves before that game. You have to give him credit for getting teams to play much better than they actually are. The previous meeting Dallas were double digit favorites against the Giants and I had no problem dropping a king's ransom and giving up the points. Back in my gambling days. Then we meet them again and they're playing for the division.

That game turned completely on Kevin Williams' bone-headed attempt to field a partially blocked punt..................The Cowboys were cruising and would have crushed the VaGiants if he didn't try to be a hero..........The play was made worse by the fact he was surrounded by several New York players..........

Silly

Reaction score
lin elliott was the worst kicker dallas ever had. the guy lost the playoff game for the chiefs with 3 missed kicks.

Flamma

Reaction score
That game turned completely on Kevin Williams' bone-headed attempt to field a partially blocked punt..................The Cowboys were cruising and would have crushed the VaGiants if he didn't try to be a hero..........The play was made worse by the fact he was surrounded by several New York players..........

I remember that all too well. I just forgot who it was.

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score
No. I don't want him back but there is a part of me that thinks it's a shame we couldn't burn a roster spot on him so he could be put in on the rare occasion a 60 plus yard kick was an option. It was fun having someone that had a realistic chance of making them.

Equally, I don't fully understand why Forbath wasn't given a genuine opportunity to earn the job given how reliable he was for us.