Twitter: Jets cut PK Brett Maher

foofighters

Reaction score

You remember him? Maher is the only kicker so far who has ever made 3 60+ yard FGs during a game, in a career, much less for the same team (Cowboys). Too bad he was the worst kicker in efficiency between 35 - 49 yard FGs in 2019. He easily cost the Cowboys 3+ games, even though for some it's easier to blame Dak! lol

Since he is now available, who wants Maher back?

:popcorn:

Kickers don't loose games. It's the play that happens before determines the outcome. Kickers are just the hail mary when the team didn't execute to begin with.

khiladi

Reaction score
Just another “it’s not Dak’s fault”, it’s everybody else’s..

He also was 4-8 in the 50 yard range, meaning Dallas relied on him to compensate for all the stalled drives of our offense. He was 4th in the league in attempts from that range and 50% at that range was pretty much average, despite the number of attempts and one of them was a 63 yarder, which reveals how much Dallas depended on him to take long field goals. Nobody else I believe attempted a sixty yarder plus.

Maher was 1-5 from 40 to 49 yards out, meaning he was basically 29 in number of attempts from this range among the top 29 ranked kickers, meaning weighing his impact on that alone is utterly asinine in respect to Dak.

I guess it was also his fault we couldn’t score in the red zone, even though Maher was 10 for 10, from 20-29 yards out, tied for third in the league. And our offense was ranked 17th in red zone scoring and 22nd on the road.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No one "hurriedly" cut Dan Bailey.

2015 - 93.8%
2016 - 84.4%
2017 - 75.0%
cut
2018 - 75.0% (Vikings)
2019 - 93.1% (Vikings)

I'm glad he bounced back last season but for 3 years he was anything but "money" Bailey.
Exactly right. Still, although moving on from Bailey was understandable, I have to agree that Maher was an odd choice. It's not as if he had been money playing in Canada.

Maher in CFL
2014 - 67.2%
2015 - out of football?
2016 - 82%
2017 - 82%

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score

He also was 4-8 in the 50 yard range, meaning Dallas relied on him to compensate for all the stalled drives of our offense. He was 4th in the league in attempts from that range and 50% at that range was pretty much average, despite the number of attempts and one of them was a 63 yarder, which reveals how much Dallas depended on him to take long field goals. Nobody else I believe attempted a sixty yarder plus.

Maher was 1-5 from 40 to 49 yards out, meaning he was basically 29 in number of attempts from this range among the top 29 ranked kickers, meaning weighing his impact on that alone is utterly asinine in respect to Dak.

I guess it was also his fault we couldn’t score in the red zone, even though Maher was 10 for 10, from 20-29 yards out, tied for third in the league. And our offense was ranked 17th in red zone scoring and 22nd on the road.
I don't care about your Dak obsession. Maher sucked.

khiladi

Reaction score
And BTW, Dallas was testing the market for kickers in the end of November, when the whole offense was struggling. The whole league was having issues with kickers and the Patriots even had to go get Folk. Maher was also one of six kickers that was perfect on extra points at least until December at 33-33.

https://sports.yahoo.com/cowboys-pu...-holding-kicker-tryouts-sunday-174247929.html

When Dallas started looking at kickers the offense was already looking like an joke, led by an over-rated Dak Prescott. What did Maher have to do with Dak’s inability to lead his team to the end zone and completely sucking on third down, when Maher isn’t even on the field?

Dallas has gone five-plus possessions without scoring a touchdown over the past three games, displaying massive inconsistency on an offense that averages just 17.7 points per game against teams with winning records. During the three-game losing streak, the Cowboys are just 15 of 41 (36.6%) on third down and have just 98 rushing yards a game.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-offensive-struggles-cant-put-a-finger-on-it/

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Everyone has a role on a team and last season there were several games through out the NFL that were determined on last second FG to win. Cowboys put their faith in Zuerlein to be able to step up through out the game and in those situation where the game is on the line.

khiladi

Reaction score

B
TW, trends in history from decades ago to now are more than adequately explained by the introduction of domes, quality of fields and turf.

The good kickers are struggling. Both of last year’s Pro Bowl kickers, Aldrick Rosas and Jason Myers, have experienced severe drop-offs, with Rosas missing more field goals despite 23 fewer attempts and Myers a dismal 14-for-19. Stephen Gostkowski, third all time in field goal accuracy, missed four extra points before the Patriots placed him on the injured reserve with a hip injury. Robbie Gould and Wil Lutz, seventh and fifth all time in field goal accuracy, are both having the worst seasons of their careers. And then there’s the GOAT, Adam Vinatieri, who is struggling massively, connecting on just 75 percent of field goals and 75 percent of extra points. Vinatieri, who holds the NFL records for career points and field goals made, is the main culprit in two of Indianapolis’s four losses this year—he missed two field goals and an extra point in a season-opening, six-point loss to the Chargers and a would-be game-winning 43-yarder against the Steelers. Despite his spectacular and historic career, it seems like it’s time for the Colts to move on from their 46-year-old kicker if they want to win.

That said, it seems like moving on from Vinatieri could be disastrous, because the bad kickers have been especially bad. Four teams that needed to turn to a free-agent kicker have been so underwhelmed by the performance of that free-agent kicker that they’ve had to cut that guy and bring in somebody new. Then they learned the hard way that their free-agent kicker was not good enough: The Jets had Taylor Bertolet in training camp, but cut him and brought in Kaare Vedvik to start the season … and then Vedvik cost the team their season-opener against the Bills by missing both kicks he attempted. The Falcons had Giorgio Tavecchio, but turned to longtime Falcon Matt Bryant after Tavecchio underwhelmed in preseason—then had to cut Bryant after he made just nine of 14 kicks; the Patriots brought in Mike Nugent after Gostkowski’s injury, but cut him after a 5-for-8 start.

https://www.theringer.com/platform/...-kicking-regression?__twitter_impression=true

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

lol - here you go, trying to hijack yet another thread about a topic unrelated to Dak and turn it into a Dak sucks thread.

Either you are turning into Pappydog, or are Pappydog using a different screen name.

And like with Pappydog, I have to wonder if you have some delusion that Dak did you wrong or if you are a threat to stalk him.

This kind of all consuming obsession crosses into the bizarre.

This is a Maher thread - do you actually have any to say about Maher, or is "Dak sucks" all you are capable of posting?

khiladi

Reaction score
lol - here you go, trying to hijack yet another thread about a topic unrelated to Dak and turn it into a Dak sucks thread.

Either you are turning into Pappydog, or are Pappydog using a different screen name.

And like with Pappydog, I have to wonder if you have some delusion that Dak did you wrong or if you are a threat to stalk him.

This kind of all consuming obsession crosses into the bizarre.

This is a Maher thread - do you actually have any to say about Maher, or is "Dak sucks" all you are capable of posting?

Again, it’s personal to you. It’s not like the original poster mentioned Dak specifically to absolve him.

O wait a minute, HE DID So let’s see..

Too bad he was the worst kicker in efficiency between 35 - 49 yard FGs in 2019. He easily cost the Cowboys 3+ games, even though for some it's easier to BLAME DAK! lol“..

Smith, Zeke, Maher, even after all the evidence about kicking I pointed out, everybody else but Dak, yet here you are trying to play moderator specifically again.

You are only going to talk about Khiladi’s ‘obsession’ with Dak. My agenda may be Dak, but it’s clearly not YOU, like I am to you as of now.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Again, it’s personal to you. It’s not like the original poster mentioned Dak specifically to absolve him.

O wait a minute, HE DID So let’s see.. Smith, Zeke, Maher, everybody else but Dak, yet here you are trying to play moderator specifically again.. You are only going to talk about Khiladi’s ‘obsession’ with Dak. My agenda may be Dak, but it’s clearly not YOU, like I am to you as of now.
I don't care. Maher sucked.