Jets releasing a bunch of players..

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
Jets | Team confirms Law will be released
Fri, 17 Feb 2006 05:30:22 -0800

Mark Cannizzaro, of the New York Post, reports the New York Jets have confirmed they will release CB Ty Law shortly, thus exonerating themselves of the $11 million payment that would trigger Law's contract into effect this season and beyond, and letting him become a free agent again.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Might as well print up a few Fabini jerseys now.

Wheat

Philosopher
Reaction score
Pennington is an idiot if he lets his agent do this.

He should be willing to reduce his numbers, but insurance that there is more guaranteed cash in the deal.

With his shoulder, they could easily replace him.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Alexander said:
Would he be an upgrade at right tackle?

Absolutely.

Oh, I am not arguing. Its the best route as far as free agent OTs I have seen. Pretty lousy group.

It makes too much sense not to happen....hence my comment.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
junk said:
Oh, I am not arguing. Its the best route as far as free agent OTs I have seen. Pretty lousy group.

It makes too much sense not to happen....hence my comment.

So if Pennington were released, would that make sense to you?

I cannot decide.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Alexander said:
So if Pennington were released, would that make sense to you?

I cannot decide.

I think if he'd agree to a low risk incentive based deal for more than 1 year, its a possibility.

I don't expect any changes at QB this year, but if a Parcells guy became available....

I guess it would depend ultimately on how BP really feels about Romo/Henson and how bad the injury is.

Short answer: I can't decide either.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Fabini ......get it done. 12:01AM 3/3/06......would not be soon enough.

Pennington?????? Good QB, intelligent, accurate, good leader, excellent pocket presence. Arm strength has always been a concern along w/his ability to stay healthy. Will his shoulder???( or whatever it was)
ever be 100%??? Tempting but would his signing be to much of a gamble?

HardHittin'Witten

This ain't Madden
Reaction score
Next week, the Jets are planning to release several veterans, including cornerback Ty Law, tackles Jason Fabini and Scott Gragg, guard Pete Kendall, fullback Jerald Sowell and quarterback Jay Fiedler.

you know BP almost wet himself when he saw all these players being released.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Hmm. I thought I liked Fabini but looking at his #s over the past 4 years he seems to kinda suck -- Sacks = 8.5, 8.75, 7.25, and 7.25 (in 9 games!) with 3, 8, 9, and 2 penalties over that same period. Maybe BP thinks he can revive the guy's career -- but he shouldn't get a big money deal from anyone.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I'm all over Fabini. He can step right in from Day 1, there is no rampup time, he has experience playing on the right and left sides, and I also think he would be a really good mentor for Pettiti or a draft pick.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
I'm all over Fabini. He has experience playing on the right and left sides, and I also think he would be a really good mentor for Pettiti or a draft pick.

If we can do it for cheap I'm OK with it. But he is getting released b/c his play doesn't match his contract -- and hasn't for a while now.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
abersonc said:
If we can do it for cheap I'm OK with it. But he is getting released b/c his play doesn't match his contract -- and hasn't for a while now.

... and the Jets are $20 million over the cap. If the Jets were $15 million under the cap, is he still released? Probably not.

Everyone on the market is there because their play doesn't match their contract or match the contract they expect. It doesn't mean they aren't an upgrade for us.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Not mentioned in that story was this - now there's a guy I would think we would be all over despite his age.

Jets | Mawae will apparently refuse pay cut
Fri, 17 Feb 2006 05:27:31 -0800

Ken Berger, of Newsday, reports New York Jets OC Kevin Mawae, coming off surgery to repair a torn left triceps, apparently will refuse to take a pay cut and will ask the Jets to release him if they can't handle his projected $4.5 million cap figure.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I pass on Mawae. He's 35. We don't need more age in the interior OL. We need to develop Al Johnson (I don't think he played nearly as poorly as people let on. He's just kind of become persona non grata among messageboards).

I'm in favor of bringing in Fabini because 31 is not excessively old for an RT that he can't play out a contract structured for 2-3 years, and I honestly don't think we have anything to develop at that position currently.

ghst187

Reaction score
who wants to bet that we sign at least one NYJ this offseason?

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
ghst187 said:
who wants to bet that we sign at least one NYJ this offseason?

Considering they're team in the NFL with the most likelyhood of having a firesale due to their cap situation, it would be foolish if we didn't. It would be a shame if everyone got so caught up in the "Parcells just signs his guys !!!!one" tired, old diatribes that we didn't recognize and appreciate the opportunity.

And, honestly, I think the former Parcells players that we have brought in have proven to be some of our most shrewd offseason aquisitions the past 3 years. Bledsoe, Keyshawn, Terry Glenn, Aaron Glenn and Richie Anderson have proven to be very good, quality signings for the price we've gotten them for. Fergie is still yet to be determined, and Ryan Young was a wash. That's still a pretty good batting average in free agency, considering Fergie was really that came with a premium price tag.

neosapien23

Reaction score
Wheat said:
Pennington is an idiot if he lets his agent do this.

He should be willing to reduce his numbers, but insurance that there is more guaranteed cash in the deal.

With his shoulder, they could easily replace him.

Why should he redo his contract? Don't the Jets still owe him alot of guaranteed money? The way the Jets organization handled Pennington was absolutley deplorable. He played with a torn rotator cuff and owes the Jets nothing. He might not ever be the same. He needs to squeeze as much money out of the Jets as possible, because he might be done with football.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
HardHittin'Witten said:
you know BP almost wet himself when he saw all these players being released.

Add in Marcus Coleman as well.

We were fortunate to clean up when the Bills cut Bledsoe and the Texans released Aaron Glenn.

We could very easily fill many of our glaring holes with these players and have a clean slate for the selection meeting.