Jets releasing a bunch of players..

AbeBeta

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
I pass on Mawae. He's 35. We don't need more age in the interior OL. We need to develop Al Johnson (I don't think he played nearly as poorly as people let on. He's just kind of become persona non grata among messageboards).

I'm in favor of bringing in Fabini because 31 is not excessively old for an RT that he can't play out a contract structured for 2-3 years, and I honestly don't think we have anything to develop at that position currently.

I agree with the AJ take -- to an extent -- I've become reluctant to post anything positive about the guy. It seemed to me that BP was down on him which is why Mawae would seem an attractive choice alongside a 2nd day pick at center.

I've got no problem with Fabini if he is willing to play for far less than his bloated Jets deal was paying him. It is a weak tackle market though (and I'm not too hot on any of the draft OT's aside from D'Brick). Someone may over pay the guy. In fact, as I understand it, folks can start negotiating deals with Fabs as soon as he is cut -- if free agency is delayed, someone may overpay just so they have a bird in the pocket.

Of course, the opinion of the board is that Sparano is an idiot -- so it doesn't really matter who we sign -- unless of course we get Bentley and Backus.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Alexander said:
Add in Marcus Coleman as well.

We were fortunate to clean up when the Bills cut Bledsoe and the Texans released Aaron Glenn.

We could very easily fill many of our glaring holes with these players and have a clean slate for the selection meeting.

Some folks would say "why bring in all those old guys" -- but it wouldn't be that they'd be taking spots from developing players -- they'd be pushing guys like Marcus Price and Corey Procter off the roster.

"selection meeting" -- you kill me with your fancy talk

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
I'm in for Fabini.

Mawae? Well, I would hardly break the bank with him. Our interior OL are all on the wrong side of 30. At 35, Mawae is declining. If he came cheap, sure, but he probably won't be a bargain.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
abersonc said:
Hmm. I thought I liked Fabini but looking at his #s over the past 4 years he seems to kinda suck -- Sacks = 8.5, 8.75, 7.25, and 7.25 (in 9 games!) with 3, 8, 9, and 2 penalties over that same period. Maybe BP thinks he can revive the guy's career -- but he shouldn't get a big money deal from anyone.
Where do you get those types of numbers from, I've been searching for a site that show sacks given up?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
abersonc said:
Hmm. I thought I liked Fabini but looking at his #s over the past 4 years he seems to kinda suck -- Sacks = 8.5, 8.75, 7.25, and 7.25 (in 9 games!) with 3, 8, 9, and 2 penalties over that same period. Maybe BP thinks he can revive the guy's career -- but he shouldn't get a big money deal from anyone.
Part of that is who has been at QB and have they given him any help at all.

Fabini got overpaid but he is at least low to mid level starter; i.e. he's a 20-30 rated RT.

russ

Reaction score
Pennington is done! He had no arm to begin with and then he had two surgerys. Besides, he was way over rated to begin with. Hmmmm. New York? Yeah, way over rated.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
jterrell said:
Part of that is who has been at QB and have they given him any help at all.

Fabini got overpaid but he is at least low to mid level starter; i.e. he's a 20-30 rated RT.

That and he's been the best OT on his team every year, which mean's he's been playing on the left side (up until last year) while the TE's and RB's are providing help to the other side.

I don't even mind if we have to use a TE or RB to occasionally help him when he's facing a Strahan or a Little. I just want someone who's not going to make Phillip Daniels look like Deacon Jones if left to his own devices. Fabini might be like Flozell. He might badly get beat one or two plays where he looks awfull, but hold his own the other 50. I can live with that. I can understand occiasionally getting beat, but not completely being an albatross to your offense for an entire game like Tucker was against the Commanders or Pettiti was against Little. That just can't be tolerated.

ddh33

Reaction score
Fabini makes a ton of sense. I would imagine that this team will take a long look at him.

I agree with the comments about Al Johnson being the new whipping boy. A year ago fans were talking about him being a near pro-bowler. Now he's a bust? I don't buy that...

TheHustler

Reaction score
Wheat said:
Pennington is an idiot if he lets his agent do this.

He should be willing to reduce his numbers, but insurance that there is more guaranteed cash in the deal.

With his shoulder, they could easily replace him.

The FA QB market this year is bare. If the Jets cut Pennington, who could they get? Supply and demand, supply and demand.

STSINAZ

Reaction score
i would sign coleman or law
abraham, get him via trade,,,whatever
fabini and mawae
sowell
and martin
all the players we need they are cutting! pretty unbelievable...sign em all up!

AbeBeta

Reaction score
ddh33 said:
Fabini makes a ton of sense. I would imagine that this team will take a long look at him.

I agree with the comments about Al Johnson being the new whipping boy. A year ago fans were talking about him being a near pro-bowler. Now he's a bust? I don't buy that...

He does need to put on a little size -- I think he may be listed at a weight that far exceeds his actual poundage.

He's in his contract year as well - we do need a legit C-G type guy to push him though -- Gurode couldn't push him at all. Someone like Terrance Metcalf might be an option here.

KingTuna

Reaction score
Ok here is my plan....

Sign:

Ty Law for FS:

Kevin Mawae for C:

Jason Fabini for: RT

Scott Gragg for Depth at O-Tackle

DO it Parcells!!!

:starspin

Rockytop6

Reaction score
Wheat said:
Pennington is an idiot if he lets his agent do this.

He should be willing to reduce his numbers, but insurance that there is more guaranteed cash in the deal.

With his shoulder, they could easily replace him.

I agree. He could wind up on the street waiting for an offer. How many teams will sign him to a big contract with the jury still out on his injury? He better take the best offer he can get from the Jets.

Zippy Speedster

Reaction score
Sure, now Law comes availble. Right when we don't need him, and how many years were we dying at the CB position?:banghead:

Bledsoe4MVP

Benched
Reaction score
KingTuna said:
Ok here is my plan....

Sign:

Ty Law for FS:

Kevin Mawae for C:

Jason Fabini for: RT

Scott Gragg for Depth at O-Tackle

DO it Parcells!!!

:starspin

Sounds like a plan my man! I just think it would be foolish to ignore a player of Ty Law's calibur. We have to get him on this roster and find a place for him...no matter what it takes!:cool: