Twitter: JG: Rolando McClain Update

Jstopper

Reaction score
If Anthony Hitchens stays healthy I don't think it is automatic that McClain comes right in and replaces him. In fact I will make the prediction that McClain only starts if Hitchens or Lee is injured.

No way. Hitchens can stay healthy all he wants, McClain talent will get him on that field over Anthony.

Jstopper

Reaction score
Who cares if they trust him or not. It's getting old. Same with the "I hope (insert player) doesn't hurt it again.:thumbdown:

And then once the player does the opposite of what they said the backpedal and excuse and "he only did it once" comes into play

perrykemp

Reaction score
No way. Hitchens can stay healthy all he wants, McClain talent will get him on that field over Anthony.

Doubt it.

Coaches value consistency and Rolando is wildly inconsistent.

When he is on he is incredible. When he is off he disappears.

Hitchen is a very active player and seems assignment sure.

I'm guessing some of it will come down to whether or not McClain decides he wants to practice this year. Last season, he always had some reason or another not too.

RunDMC

Reaction score

lol dude have you ever played football before? You can be the most talented guy on the damn field. You aren't just given the starting job. McClain has to earn it. Just like anyone else.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
lol dude have you ever played football before? You can be the most talented guy on the damn field. You aren't just given the starting job. McClain has to earn it. Just like anyone else.

McClain will start the first week he's back.
You say no?

RunDMC

Reaction score
McClain will start the first week he's back.
You say no?

I expect him to be the starter, but he's not just gonna walk in and win the job because he's more talented. He will need to earn it.

Corso

Reaction score
I expect him to be the starter, but he's not just gonna walk in and win the job because he's more talented. He will need to earn it.

And because he's more talented, he will earn it.
Yeah?

RunDMC

Reaction score
And because he's more talented, he will earn it.
Yeah?

Well McClain has to prove that he's committed and dedicated. Nobody questions the man's talent, but there are still questions about his desire and love for the game of football. We know he's got the skill set. He's big, strong, long, athletic, a capable play maker, great tackler, good at rushing when he's asked to blitz, and an enforcer. When he's right and engaged like he was the first part of last year before the stretch run when he was basically a ghost he's a damn good football player with the potential to be great. Like Garrett preaches all the time can he be consistent? Because there's a lot of players who can play well in spurts, but consistency is the key. Is he willing to study film relentlessly and finding whatever mistakes you make in a certain ball game and correcting them, studying other teams and their habits much like Sean Lee does. Having physical talent is great and all, but when you combine that with a great work ethic, a high football IQ which we know McClain has, and a genuine love for the game which we still don't know if Rolando possesses he can be a truly special football player.

Jstopper

Reaction score

Definitely have played football at various levels. And if you watched last year McClain was infinitely more talented than Hitchens. If McClain knee is right he's going to go out there and take a lb job from Hitchens easily. The fact that you think otherwise is laughable. You can't hide talent.

Corso

Reaction score
Well McClain has to prove that he's committed and dedicated. Nobody questions the man's talent, but there are still questions about his desire and love for the game of football. We know he's got the skill set. He's big, strong, long, athletic, a capable play maker, great tackler, good at rushing when he's asked to blitz, and an enforcer. When he's right and engaged like he was the first part of last year before the stretch run when he was basically a ghost he's a damn good football player with the potential to be great. Like Garrett preaches all the time can he be consistent? Because there's a lot of players who can play well in spurts, but consistency is the key. Is he willing to study film relentlessly and finding whatever mistakes you make in a certain ball game and correcting them, studying other teams and their habits much like Sean Lee does. Having physical talent is great and all, but when you combine that with a great work ethic, a high football IQ which we know McClain has, and a genuine love for the game which we still don't know if Rolando possesses he can be a truly special football player.

From OP:
Which is straight from your coaches mouth::

"All throughout training camp, he did an excellent job. ... he's allowed to be in meetings and he's in there every day with those guys... his influence in that room is really positive for some of the younger guys."

Sound like the Coach questions him?
Not to me.

Jstopper

Reaction score
Doubt it.

Coaches value consistency and Rolando is wildly inconsistent.

When he is on he is incredible. When he is off he disappears.

Hitchen is a very active player and seems assignment sure.

I'm guessing some of it will come down to whether or not McClain decides he wants to practice this year. Last season, he always had some reason or another not too.

So are you saying that Hitchens will start over McClain? I don't believe that for a single second

Jstopper

Reaction score
From OP:

"All throughout training camp, he did an excellent job. ... he's allowed to be in meetings and he's in there every day with those guys... his influence in that room is really positive for some of the younger guys."

Not to me.

*checkmate*

RunDMC

Reaction score
Definitely have played football at various levels. And if you watched last year McClain was infinitely more talented than Hitchens. If McClain knee is right he's going to go out there and take a lb job from Hitchens easily. The fact that you think otherwise is laughable. You can't hide talent.

I don't see what's so laughable about it. Yeah he has more talent, but you act like Hitchens is a scrub. Hitchens in many ways saved our season. Like I said McClain was MIA for the postseason run while Hitchens was three battling through a badly sprained ankle. Is he spectacular? No, but Hitch does his job. He's sound, solid, disciplined, doesn't make many mistakes on the field, good in coverage, can play both man and zone, fundamentally sound, and doesn't miss many tackles.

RunDMC

Reaction score
*checkmate*

The dude isn't even back on the field. Let's see if McClain actually continues to do what he's supposed to and doesn't complain about practicing and/or watching and studying film.

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
From OP:

Not to me.

...and so it begins:(

perrykemp

Reaction score
So are you saying that Hitchens will start over McClain? I don't believe that for a single second

Yes.

Hitchens is playing well.

If Hitchens continues to play this well I don't see them pulling Hitchens for McClain.

Corso

Reaction score
Yes. Hitchens is playing well. If continues to play this well I don't see them pulling Hitchens for McClain.

But I DO see them pulilng Wilbur and putting Hitch there and keeping Ro and Sean out there too.
Yeah?