Jim Brown was nearly unbeatable against the Cowboys

conner01

Reaction score
It's been over a week since legendary RB Jim Brown passed away (his funeral is still pending), but sports writer Richard Paolinelli wrote this nice and historically informative piece about Jim Brown and his 11 career games against the Dallas Cowboys. Several nice pictures included in this article. Hope everyone enjoys this piece of history...

By Richard Paolinelli- May 29, 2023

https://insidethestar.com/jim-brown-was-nearly-unbeatable-against-the-cowboys/
Good stuff
He was certainly someone I wish I could have seen play.

Motorola

Reaction score
Lol, those were the biggest magazines ever. I will go back on YouTube and watch his speech he gave on excepting the award that would be given to Brian Picolo. Even though it is from Billy D. Williams movie.
"Brian's Song"
One of the best films created from those "ABC Movie of the Week" productions from that series in the late '60s to mid 70's.

conner01

Reaction score
I can remember an upcoming game against the Browns when Jim Brown played. That was perhaps the first time I dreaded for the Cowboys to play an opponent. Brown was a force of nature back then.

I also recall when he retired, I had a sigh of relief for the team not having to face him again.
Dang you must be old lol
But you got to see football when it was a totally different game than today. Those were some tough sob’s playing in those days

Motorola

Reaction score
Good stuff
He was certainly someone I wish I could have seen play.
I was old enough to view him live on TV his last few seasons.
His athletic gifts were matched by his acumen to visualize, thus attempt to make each play a positive gain = result for his team.

Motorola

Reaction score
Dang you must be old lol
But you got to see football when it was a totally different game than today. Those were some tough sob’s playing in those days
From when the NFLwas organized over a century ago (1920), they allowed brutal tatics and plays for their first seven decades.
Clothesline \ chopblock \ headslap \ blindside hit \ legwhip, bodyslams, facemask, kicking, etc.
Numerous NFL Legends employed those "techniques" that propeled them into the HOF.

Last edited:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
He was nearly unbeatable versus everyone.

He is a Hall of Famer and arguably the greatest of all time.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I was at the 1965 game at Cotton Bowl. Was last game Brown played against us. I don’t really remember much . I was about 10. I just mainly remember my dad talking about it after he retired. I do recall the next year in 1966 is when we begun playing on Thanksgiving .

My main memory of 1965 is with Bob Hayes Rookie season and how he lit it up and our Playoff Bowl loss to Colts 35-3.

We finished 7-7 , our first non losing season. But with Dandy and Bullet we finally had something to root for and get excited about. The next year we’d play for our first championship. And our first real heartbreaker in the Ice Bowl.

Last edited:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
It's been over a week since legendary RB Jim Brown passed away (his funeral is still pending), but sports writer Richard Paolinelli wrote this nice and historically informative piece about Jim Brown and his 11 career games against the Dallas Cowboys. Several nice pictures included in this article. Hope everyone enjoys this piece of history...

By Richard Paolinelli- May 29, 2023

https://insidethestar.com/jim-brown-was-nearly-unbeatable-against-the-cowboys/
Not many realize this but the rivalry between the Cowboys and Cleveland was actually an thing.

Motorola

Reaction score
I was at the 1965 game at Cotton Bowl. Was last game Brown played against us. I don’t really remember much . I was about 10. I just mainly remember my dad talking about it after he retired. I do recall the next year in 1966 is when we begun playing on Thanksgiving .

My main memory of 1965 is with Bob Hayes Rookie season and how he lit it up and our Playoff Bowl loss to Colts 35-3.

We finished 7-7 , our first non losing season. But with Dandy and Bullet we finally had something to root for and get excited about. The next year we’d play for our first championship. And our first real heartbreaker in the Ice Bowl.
First Cowboys heartbreaker was the 1966 NFL Championship...lost in the Cotton Bowl, 34 - 27.
The Ice Bowl was the second one.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
First Cowboys heartbreaker was the 1966 NFL Championship...lost in the Cotton Bowl, 34 - 27.
The Ice Bowl was the second one.
I hear ya. For me the first loss to GB in 66 champ game wasn’t the heartbreaker of the following year where we had the lead until last seconds .

I felt we were definitely the better team that year. The first year was our first playoffs and didn’t really expect to beat the Champs.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Not many realize this but the rivalry between the Cowboys and Cleveland was actually an thing.
Yep, prob a bigger rivalry than our divisional foes in the 60’s. The Browns crushed us in 68 and 69 playoffs when we were expected to make a bigger push to the Super Bowl after two straight NFL title losses to Packers.