Jim Harbaugh time management

rcaldw

Reaction score
Yeah, 'the truth'.

You keep spouting nonsense, and I'll keep hammering it for the drivel it is.

You da man! Seriously, I have real world stuff to deal with now, so I have to run. You're not a bad guy Stash, I agree with you often, just not on this one. Have a great day friend.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You da man! Seriously, I have real world stuff to deal with now, so I have to run. You're not a bad guy Stash, I agree with you often, just not on this one. Have a great day friend.

Any disagreements aside, you have a great day also.

:)

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If the OP is just to point out that playoff teams also have time management decisions that can be second guessed, or that there is more to coaching that game management, I don't see how anyone can reasonably disagree with that argument.

Now, if you were saying Harbuagh and Garrett are similar coaches because they both have examples of time management mistakes, then that would be another matter, but I don't think that's anywhere near what you were saying.

It should be possible to point out similarities in game situations between the two coaches to isolate a single logical argument without ending up with a barrage of 'but they're a better team' posts. Of course SF under Harbaugh has been a better team than Dallas under Garrett. That is undeniable and it goes without saying. The better question is 'what makes them a better team?' And then I'd say the answer to that is not necessarily 'game management.'

blindzebra

Reaction score
If the OP is just to point out that playoff teams also have time management decisions that can be second guessed, or that there is more to coaching that game management, I don't see how anyone can reasonably disagree with that argument.

Now, if you were saying Harbuagh and Garrett are similar coaches because they both have examples of time management mistakes, then that would be another matter, but I don't think that's anywhere near what you were saying.

It should be possible to point out similarities in game situations between the two coaches to isolate a single logical argument without ending up with a barrage of 'but they're a better team' posts. Of course SF under Harbaugh has been a better team than Dallas under Garrett. That is undeniable and it goes without saying. The better question is 'what makes them a better team?' And then I'd say the answer to that is not necessarily 'game management.'

Harbaugh inherited a good portion of that team.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Sure. But he's done a great job with it. And he fixed the QB position, which was not in good shape when he took it over. That's not easy to do in the NFL.

I got no problem saying Harbaugh has demonstrated that he's a better coach than Garrett has at this point. Obviously, you know I agree that he had a better defense to work with, and that that SF gig was a pretty cherry gig for an offensive coach to step into. It doesn't matter, he's done his job there, and I respect the work he's done.

That said, *all* coaches make game management mistakes. They tend to get ignored--as this thread demonstrates--when you win. And they tend to get ignored, too, when it's not your team that makes the mistakes. A good pass defense would go a long way towards making the game management in Dallas look better. And that's not deflecting blame for Jason Garrett, since it's his job to field a good pass defense. It's putting the responsibility for improving the team where it actually should lie.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score

More than likely if Jerry would have hired a good coach to replace Parcells, the Cowboys would have had a lot more success. Even with Wade that team won 13 games before things got worse each season thereafter.

Reactions: Coy

dupree89

Reaction score
Along the lines of this post, I could also say.....

Chip Kelly, Mike McCoy, Andy Reid...1st year coaching their teams and they find a way to turn around the team and get to the playoffs....... Cant happen right?

Well, it can happen. Just not in Dallas.

DanteEXT

Reaction score

Chip Kelly, Mike McCoy, Andy Reid...1st year coaching their teams and they find a way to turn around the team and get to the playoffs....... Cant happen right?

Chiefs had a pretty solid team to begin with. They were probably a better QB play away from being a playoff team last year.

Chargers also had some pre established quality players and added a couple more in the draft. But it's not like McCoy took them from 2 wins to 12. The last four seasons have been 9-7, 8-8, 7-9 and now 9-7. They basically hovered around the same as they had been. And it took beating a Chiefs team resting 20 of their starters just to get in. And they almost didn't do it.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score

Maybe they have a different process then Garrett. They must not have gotten the memo that it takes over 4 years to turn a franchise around.

dupree89

Reaction score
Chiefs had a pretty solid team to begin with. They were probably a better QB play away from being a playoff team last year.

Chargers also had some pre established quality players and added a couple more in the draft. But it's not like McCoy took them from 2 wins to 12. The last four seasons have been 9-7, 8-8, 7-9 and now 9-7. They basically hovered around the same as they had been. And it took beating a Chiefs team resting 20 of their starters just to get in. And they almost didn't do it.

All could be true. Excellent points. But the fact remains, however it is sliced up....three coaches in their first year with the team managed to go to the playoffs. And by the way, for two of them this was their first head coaching job in the NFL. They were discussing on NFL Network how McCoy went in there and changed how the entire organization was run. And that includes at an executive level. Things are done HIS way. They went on the road and got a playoff win. About now, I'd settle for Garrett just getting the team to the playoffs.

I'm not saying you here, as I dont know where you stand on Garrett, but with so many people that defend this head coach..there is always an excuse or a 'reason' why he cant do it yet others can. I'd like to know how much more rope he should be given. (and why does he deserve it)

dupree89

Reaction score
Maybe they have a different process then Garrett. They must not have gotten the memo that it takes over 4 years to turn a franchise around.

Absolutely. Like I just said in the other post...there is always an excuse for this guy. When other teams show progress, its either pure luck....they started with more talent....they didnt have any injuries....they had an easy schedule.....blah blah blah. People just cant say....Yeah, compared to some other new coaches, Garrett just isnt getting it done.

blindzebra

Reaction score
You ever notice how when someone compares Garrett to another coach and it is a positive that it does not matter and it is just excuses but when the comparison is a negative one it is spot on Gospel?

visionary

Reaction score
You ever notice how when someone compares Garrett to another coach and it is a positive that it does not matter and it is just excuses but when the comparison is a negative one it is spot on Gospel?

mirror mirror....