News: Jimmy Johnson has solution to Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott’s interception problems

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Entire article.
Jimmy Johnson has solution to Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott’s interception problems (msn.com)

How can Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott stop his interception streak? Former Cowboys coach Jimmy Johnson has a simple answer. It’s up to the Dallas offensive line to protect Prescott.
“He’s got to have a clean pocket,” Johnson said on the FOX NFL Sunday pregame show.
“The conversation all week long has been Dak Prescott,” Johnson said. “Can he cut back on the
interceptions?”
Prescott has 11 interceptions in nine games this season, including seven in the past four games. He’s two shy of the career-high 13 interceptions he had in 2017.

“When you look at Prescott, a couple of years ago, it was the fumbles,” Johnson said. “He was fumbling too much. When he has a clean pocket, he is as good as any quarterback in this entire league.”

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is where I toot my own horn. I have been saying this over and over. Clean pocket, Dak excels. This Dallas offensive line is touted as being one of the best. Yet they give up so many hurries and that is the problem.

In a post last week, I offered a graphic showing Dallas is the 6th worst team in the league in this category. It was being discussed by Marcus Spears and a bunch of talking heads. Someone posted a graphic from the official Cowboys site stating they are one of the best offensive lines in the game.

I don't believe the official site. I believe what I see and that is defenders breaking through and moving Dak off his spot or hurrying him. He has to decide to throw the ball or take a sack.

But then I guess Jimmy Johnson could be senile now and this is the mutterings of an aged man who has had too many Heinekens and sunburns on his boat.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
We have to shore up the offensive line in the middle. When Steele comes back Tyler should go back to playing LG. That should make things a lot easier on Dak. Because Dak can elude the edge rushers that break free, but right now the push up the middle is stopping him from doing that.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I've been complaining about this Oline and Oline coaches in recent years. Now we see why. When Dak has time (4+ seconds) in the pocket, he is as good as any passer. When he has space to scramble, he keeps drives alive. It's when he gets pressure a mere 2-3 seconds after the snap of the football when he has problems.

The same goes for our rushing ability. Give our RBs a hole to run through and get past the line of scrimmage, our RBs will pick up good yards.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Entire article.
Jimmy Johnson has solution to Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott’s interception problems (msn.com)

How can Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott stop his interception streak? Former Cowboys coach Jimmy Johnson has a simple answer. It’s up to the Dallas offensive line to protect Prescott.
“He’s got to have a clean pocket,” Johnson said on the FOX NFL Sunday pregame show.
“The conversation all week long has been Dak Prescott,” Johnson said. “Can he cut back on the
interceptions?”
Prescott has 11 interceptions in nine games this season, including seven in the past four games. He’s two shy of the career-high 13 interceptions he had in 2017.

“When you look at Prescott, a couple of years ago, it was the fumbles,” Johnson said. “He was fumbling too much. When he has a clean pocket, he is as good as any quarterback in this entire league.”

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is where I toot my own horn. I have been saying this over and over. Clean pocket, Dak excels. This Dallas offensive line is touted as being one of the best. Yet they give up so many hurries and that is the problem.

In a post last week, I offered a graphic showing Dallas is the 6th worst team in the league in this category. It was being discussed by Marcus Spears and a bunch of talking heads. Someone posted a graphic from the official Cowboys site stating they are one of the best offensive lines in the game.

I don't believe the official site. I believe what I see and that is defenders breaking through and moving Dak off his spot or hurrying him. He has to decide to throw the ball or take a sack.

But then I guess Jimmy Johnson could be senile now and this is the mutterings of an aged man who has had too many Heinekens and sunburns on his boat.
losing Steele was big... I was excited about Tyron getting back and we would have a OL of Smith-Smith-Biadasz-Martin-Steele.... instead we have Smith-McGovern-Biadasz-Martin-Tyron. McGovern is a weak spot, specially next to Biadasz. and Tyron playing RT, a position he hasn't played since his rookie year..... that was a huge huge loss.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
When the QB hits the WR with a yard and a half of separation, in the hands, it deflects up into an interception and it’s still the QBs fault, you’re not dealing with people who are using a great deal of logic!
True, but when the TE is 10 yards away, and he throws it to the defender 3 yards away, that's a bad interception. That's the type of thing he needs to eliminate now.

He was lights out after that interception, but he put them in a hole early, and luckily they were able to make enough plays to hold on for the win.

terra

Reaction score
losing Steele was big... I was excited about Tyron getting back and we would have a OL of Smith-Smith-Biadasz-Martin-Steele.... instead we have Smith-McGovern-Biadasz-Martin-Tyron. McGovern is a weak spot, specially next to Biadasz. and Tyron playing RT, a position he hasn't played since his rookie year..... that was a huge huge loss.
So how did Steele do the first time against the Eagles? Doubt he would have done any better than Tryon did

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
So how did Steele do the first time against the Eagles? Doubt he would have done any better than Tryon did
no, its not about one position on the OL and I think Steele would still be better at RT....but the combination of the 5? who is better on the left side, Smith-Smith or Smith-McGovern?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Dak also has a solution to his INT problems.
Just throw a lot more TD passes.

Right now, Dak is 8th in the league in QBR, and 8th in QB rating.
He's doing that with a below average WR corps and an OL that has played on shuffle all season.
He's 4th however in TD passes per game. Only Mahomes, Burrow and Allen are ahead of him.

And FWIW, the top 4 guys in TD passes also all have double digit interceptions.

Some things just come with the territory.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When the QB hits the WR with a yard and a half of separation, in the hands, it deflects up into an interception and it’s still the QBs fault, you’re not dealing with people who are using a great deal of logic!
Some of the liveliest conversations I have ever had sitting in my living room, or at a bar, or at a high school/college/pro stadium, dealt with the quarterback delivering a catchable ball to a receiver and the receiver flubbing the catch. Thankfully, the person I was talking to was drunk sometimes, so that could be used as an excuse. lol.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
  • Don’t throw into coverage
  • Don’t sail passes over receivers heads
  • Don’t throw right into the DLinemans hands
  • Receivers have to catch it
  • Run the ball
Dak is 2nd in the NFL in completion % at 69%. He's throwing very catchable, accurate balls.
What looks on TV to be awful throws are often because his arm or lower body was hit in motion.
Sometimes defensive players just make really good plays. Other times you are going to make bad play in the course of 50 snaps.

Dallas IS running the ball. They are 51% pass, 49% run for the year. Arguably the most balanced team in the NFL.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Losing Steele really stinks. I was looking forward to Tyron at LT and moving Tyler inside to LG. Instant improvement on left side. The frustration on Tyler’s body language was pretty visible last night when he let Dak get sacked. OLine probably about average these days, they regressed a little. Still don’t think we’re going to do much in the tournament again because our defensive front seven has lost everything, undersized and worn out, and the offensive line isn’t proving that it can hang with the big boys. Philly is a great front seven but I wasn’t expecting them to make us their next six sack victim, and the run blocking hasn’t been as steady as it was earlier in the year.

Cowboys22

Reaction score

Always said they need a new category of ints. Ints caused by another player’s drop, slip, wrong route, etc should go to them not the QB. Just like defense has the forced fumble stat, offense should have the caused Int stat for all RBs, WRs, and TEs.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Every QB is better with protection. Dak is no different. What do we do about it? Hopefully the o-line gels soon. Lots of moving parts.

Exactly, whenever someone says "give him time and he will pick you apart"... or "if he has a clean pocket, he is great". Even if Jimmy said it... that is laughable, of course any competent NFL QB is gonna do a lot better if you don't pressure him.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
Entire article.

interceptions?”

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The number of free defenders coming after him is alarming. The flea flicker from turpin to him had TD written all over it, but there was an unblocked defender taking him to the ground