News: Jimmy Johnson has solution to Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott’s interception problems

Gorgon

Reaction score
Entire article.
Jimmy Johnson has solution to Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott’s interception problems (msn.com)

How can Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott stop his interception streak? Former Cowboys coach Jimmy Johnson has a simple answer. It’s up to the Dallas offensive line to protect Prescott.
“He’s got to have a clean pocket,” Johnson said on the FOX NFL Sunday pregame show.
“The conversation all week long has been Dak Prescott,” Johnson said. “Can he cut back on the
interceptions?”
Prescott has 11 interceptions in nine games this season, including seven in the past four games. He’s two shy of the career-high 13 interceptions he had in 2017.

“When you look at Prescott, a couple of years ago, it was the fumbles,” Johnson said. “He was fumbling too much. When he has a clean pocket, he is as good as any quarterback in this entire league.”

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is where I toot my own horn. I have been saying this over and over. Clean pocket, Dak excels. This Dallas offensive line is touted as being one of the best. Yet they give up so many hurries and that is the problem.

In a post last week, I offered a graphic showing Dallas is the 6th worst team in the league in this category. It was being discussed by Marcus Spears and a bunch of talking heads. Someone posted a graphic from the official Cowboys site stating they are one of the best offensive lines in the game.

I don't believe the official site. I believe what I see and that is defenders breaking through and moving Dak off his spot or hurrying him. He has to decide to throw the ball or take a sack.

But then I guess Jimmy Johnson could be senile now and this is the mutterings of an aged man who has had too many Heinekens and sunburns on his boat.

You, and Jimmah, are right. But there is a problem. Show me one NFL team that can give its QB a clean pocket. Last night, the E-girls line came as close as I have seen to keeping Minschew from big pressure, but even he was chased. KC? Mahomes has to run on nearly every play. Not TB. This is why Brady is having such trouble this year. It's shocking when you look at film from the 70s-even the 1990s. Not all the time, but often those great QBs had great separation from their lines. These days, it seems like all the Ds are pushing the centers & guards back, or the end rushers force them up and to one side or the other. I watched Martin get pushed badly. Biadicz actually did a pretty good job on most pass plays.

exciter

Reaction score
True, but when the TE is 10 yards away, and he throws it to the defender 3 yards away, that's a bad interception. That's the type of thing he needs to eliminate now.

He was lights out after that interception, but he put them in a hole early, and luckily they were able to make enough plays to hold on for the win.
That one was actually on Dak, he got lacsadasical!

Last edited:

aikemirv

Reaction score
Protection was not the problem with the Int yesterday. It has not been with most of his picks - just poor decisions

exciter

Reaction score
when you have gomers looking for EVERY POSSIBLE EXCUSE for DAK you are dealing with morons
See! You seem to have trouble distinguishing between the really real world and making excuses. Or simply put you lack logic, and basic reasoning skills!

Stsinaz12

Reaction score
Entire article.
Jimmy Johnson has solution to Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott’s interception problems (msn.com)

How can Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott stop his interception streak? Former Cowboys coach Jimmy Johnson has a simple answer. It’s up to the Dallas offensive line to protect Prescott.
“He’s got to have a clean pocket,” Johnson said on the FOX NFL Sunday pregame show.
“The conversation all week long has been Dak Prescott,” Johnson said. “Can he cut back on the
interceptions?”
Prescott has 11 interceptions in nine games this season, including seven in the past four games. He’s two shy of the career-high 13 interceptions he had in 2017.

“When you look at Prescott, a couple of years ago, it was the fumbles,” Johnson said. “He was fumbling too much. When he has a clean pocket, he is as good as any quarterback in this entire league.”

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is where I toot my own horn. I have been saying this over and over. Clean pocket, Dak excels. This Dallas offensive line is touted as being one of the best. Yet they give up so many hurries and that is the problem.

In a post last week, I offered a graphic showing Dallas is the 6th worst team in the league in this category. It was being discussed by Marcus Spears and a bunch of talking heads. Someone posted a graphic from the official Cowboys site stating they are one of the best offensive lines in the game.

I don't believe the official site. I believe what I see and that is defenders breaking through and moving Dak off his spot or hurrying him. He has to decide to throw the ball or take a sack.

But then I guess Jimmy Johnson could be senile now and this is the mutterings of an aged man who has had too many Heinekens and sunburns on his boat.
What about since tyron has comeback??

starfan1

Reaction score
Frederick all pro
Martin HOF
TYRON HOF
collins/steele above average

The dudes had quality line play, to want more is just unrealistic tbh and excuse making.

Do we need to put up the stats on pass block win rate this year and we’re just talking this year . I’m glad to see him run more as of late but pocket has been collapsing with regularity . Jimmy Johnson’s on point

you’re just a bonified hater nothing he does will he good enough

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
What about since tyron has comeback??

The pick six in the Jags game had Tyron out on the right side and the defender he was playing across from got past him and one of the reasons Dak was rolling left.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Entire article.

interceptions?”

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hes correct we have solid OL better at run blocking, inconsistent pass blocking. those winrate% being low and many said is not big deal they don't give up a lot of sacks are VERY worng ..daks been bailing them out or making mistakes because of it.. now 6 sacks yesterday., where those saying that winrate% stat is just useless analytics?

its not just because sacks weren't racking up because our QB takes off or moves to avoid them down mean they weren't effecting plays.
I think Daks been playing great since his return and rather see him being aggressive and trying to make plays vs eating sacks or worrying about mistakes.. half the KINts were not on him , WRs, OL, and great defense tipping passes etc so not worried dont think they are reckless or bad decisions on many of them,. Yes few but what QB doesn't do that.

blueblood70

Reaction score
The pick six in the Jags game had Tyron out on the right side and the defender he was playing across from got past him and one of the reasons Dak was rolling left.
He still hit Brown in the hands. so why does that matter? maybe he missed seeing shcultz open or what not as he had to bail, sure..

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Do we need to put up the stats on pass block win rate this year and we’re just talking this year . I’m glad to see him run more as of late but pocket has been collapsing with regularity . Jimmy Johnson’s on point

you’re just a bonified hater nothing he does will he good enough
Lol, let's give him 5 all pro ol men every year
You're such a bell

cnuball21

Reaction score
Certainly doesn’t help. We’re currently bottom 10 in hurry rate and are bottom 5 in pass pro win rate.

It’s a piece of the puzzle. We need to protect better, WRs need to separate better, Dak needs to be a little cleaner and Kellen needs to call a few more quick 3 step drop throws.

Ken

Reaction score
Dak also has a solution to his INT problems.
Just throw a lot more TD passes.

Right now, Dak is 8th in the league in QBR, and 8th in QB rating.
He's doing that with a below average WR corps and an OL that has played on shuffle all season.
He's 4th however in TD passes per game. Only Mahomes, Burrow and Allen are ahead of him.

And FWIW, the top 4 guys in TD passes also all have double digit interceptions.

Some things just come with the territory.
I will just point out he is 3rd in TD Passing % at 6.3. Only Mahomes and Tua are ahead of him at 6.4

He is also tied for 1st with Mahomes and Tua in Passing TD % Index. Not sure what it is but I'll take it lol

Was tied for 1st in most throws that should not have been turnovers with 6.

2nd in the League in Completion percentage, tied with Burrow at 69%

Beaker42

Reaction score
Entire article.

interceptions?”

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Total horse****. Minshew looked like a HOF’er compared to Sak. Moves better and better pocket awareness. We can’t win with a QB who has to have EVERYTHING PERFECT.

Reaction score
I'm not thinking this counts as a news flash, but thanks Jimmy, let's just do the same things except with a clean pocket instead. Easy Peasy. :muttley:

Honestly though, I do think they would benefit keeping an extra blocker or two instead of sending more people out in routes.