Jimmy Johnson on The Dan Patrick Show Today

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Well in all fairness, those 3 Superbowls were Jimmy's AND Jerry's. Switzer deserves credit for coaching that team to a championship after Jimmy left.

People like to give Jimmy ALL the credit, but if he could do it all by himself, he would have won 3 more in Miami, but he didn't. He didn't even win ONE without Jerry. So they both deserve the credit for the Cowboys latest rings.
He didn't have total control in Miami like he did in Dallas. That was Dan Marino's team. And I think Jimmy was just burnt out by then and just wanted out.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Whether any one side of this topic admits it or not, they both have hard feelings about their breakup!

Both Jerry and Jimmy have made disparaging comments about one another. I don't favor either one.

I doubt if Jimmy really cares whether or not Jerry honors him for the Ring of Honor. He has the HOF.

Last edited:

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Well in all fairness, those 3 Superbowls were Jimmy's AND Jerry's. Switzer deserves credit for coaching that team to a championship after Jimmy left.

People like to give Jimmy ALL the credit, but if he could do it all by himself, he would have won 3 more in Miami, but he didn't. He didn't even win ONE without Jerry. So they both deserve the credit for the Cowboys latest rings.
Jimmy gets 95% of the credit. Jerry gets 5% for hiring Jimmy, practically getting out of the way, and signing the checks. The past twenty five years are more than enough proof for it.

Let's face it: Jerry did little when it came to making football related decisions in those six years. That was all Jimmy and those who he delegated to.

And the Miami situation was completely different. Jimmy did draft some pretty darn good defensive players. But he didn't have a Herschel Walker trade, started to burn out, and was saddled with a declining Marino.

Both are to blame for what happened in Dallas, but Jerry was (and maybe still is) an oil/business man playing football guy, whereas Jimmy has been a football guy for most of his life.

Reactions: BAT

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I have long suspected Jerry wants to wait until the Cowboys win another Super Bowl so Jimmy would be a little less esteemed and respected among the Cowboys fan base.

Right now, the last 3 Super Bowls are attributed to Jimmy because most fans believe that Switzer won the last one with Jimmy's team.

So, if Jerry added Jimmy now he would have to deal with endless, "Do you regret ... ?" questions where a new Super Bowl win would help dilute Jimmy's accomplishments a little.
Jerry is this you?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He didn't have total control in Miami like he did in Dallas. That was Dan Marino's team. And I think Jimmy was just burnt out by then and just wanted out.
There’s a reason no HC has ever repeated another championship for 2 franchises . Because it’s all about the talent .

Jimmy assembled one of the greatest rosters in NFL history. Some of it is by chance with all of the high draft picks which the Herschel trade provided along with a 1-15 record.

Jimmy tried to make a blockbuster deal in Miami but their owner refused to trade Marino.

About all we can expect from great coaches going to other franchises is bringing them back to a competitive state which Jimmy did in Miami on a much shorter leash than he had in Dallas .

And Jethro deserves some credit for bringing Jimmy in and providing him a total green light. And Jethro deserves all of the blame since that team dissolved .

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have long suspected Jerry wants to wait until the Cowboys win another Super Bowl so Jimmy would be a little less esteemed and respected among the Cowboys fan base.

Right now, the last 3 Super Bowls are attributed to Jimmy because most fans believe that Switzer won the last one with Jimmy's team.

So, if Jerry added Jimmy now he would have to deal with endless, "Do you regret ... ?" questions where a new Super Bowl win would help dilute Jimmy's accomplishments a little.
:hammer:

starfan1

Reaction score
I love me some jimmy my second favorite coach. Without the Hershel trade you don’t have 3 rings period!

now whoever was driving force in that whether jimmy or Jerry who knows but that was the key thing

wiry that they got the best players and I’m trying to remember whe salary cap kicked in but that helped as well if it’s pre salary cap

Ok I googled it was 94 so their wins pre date cap era 2 of them anyway

They both are egotistical men it’s what made them a success. I loved jimmy at the U. He has proven himself to be a great coach

Shameful that they can’t put aside pride at this point

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why would Jimmy even want to be in the Cowboys RoH?

He is already in the NFL HoF.
Possibly because it is recognition of his career and achievements accomplished during it. No doubt, the Dallas Cowboys Ring of Honor is a lesser honor. It symbolizes deeds and effort on a franchise level, whereas the Pro Football Hall of Fame embodies the same appreciation at the highest peak of the sport.

However, both displays of professional triumph sit on the same mountain. The same mountain also has state level hall of fames and college level rings of honor. Those are found at even lower elevations than the Hall and the Ring but they too sit on that same singular mountain.

All these acceptances of what they have done are not participation trophies. They all have value. They have personal worth. Few coaches ever had the intense focus and drive that Jimmy Johnson had while coaching in Big D. He ate and slept football.

Yet, it extremely unlikely he coached ALL those games inside Texas Stadium and did not look up at the Ring and wondered whether his name would join those already there. Names he admired growing up. Names of NFL legends belonging to the Dallas Cowboys.

Winning Super Bowls is the literal stuff of legend in all sports. Would Johnson want to be remembered as a Dallas Cowboys legend for winning two NFL championships for the franchise after all the blood and sweat he poured into the opportunity of holding multiple Lombardi Trophies? I would say yes. Final answer. Why would he not?

mrmojo

Reaction score
Jimmy had the Herschel Waller trade that helped, but he still had to make the picks. The Rams had the same kind of deal when they traded Dickerson and they did nothing.

Kudos to Jimmy for building the team he wanted and to Jerry for letting him.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Possibly because it is recognition of his career and achievements accomplished during it. No doubt, the Dallas Cowboys Ring of Honor is a lesser honor. It symbolizes deeds and effort on a franchise level, whereas the Pro Football Hall of Fame embodies the same appreciation at the highest peak of the sport.

However, both displays of professional triumph sit on the same mountain. The same mountain also has state level hall of fames and college level rings of honor. Those are found at even lower elevations than the Hall and the Ring but they too sit on that same singular mountain.

All these acceptances of what they have done are not participation trophies. They all have value. They have personal worth. Few coaches ever had the intense focus and drive that Jimmy Johnson had while coaching in Big D. He ate and slept football.

Yet, it extremely unlikely he coached ALL those games inside Texas Stadium and did not look up at the Ring and wondered whether his name would join those already there. Names he admired growing up. Names of NFL legends belonging to the Dallas Cowboys.

Winning Super Bowls is the literal stuff of legend in all sports. Would Johnson want to be remembered as a Dallas Cowboys legend for winning two NFL championships for the franchise after all the blood and sweat he poured into the opportunity of holding multiple Lombardi Trophies? I would say yes. Final answer. Why would he not?
"Hall of Fames"? You wrote "Rings of honor", but "Hall of Fames"???
:facepalm::muttley:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think he overstated his clout in Miami and just how sacred Marino was to those fans. I think he thought he'd get another rebuild, his favorite, underway.

Marino would have never liked being a triplet and sharing that stage with a RB and WR like his predecessor, Griese, did.

Johnson was all about team, but Marino was all about Marino.

Big_D

Reaction score
I think he overstated his clout in Miami and just how sacred Marino was to those fans. I think he thought he'd get another rebuild, his favorite, underway.

Marino would have never liked being a triplet and sharing that stage with a RB and WR like his predecessor, Griese, did.

Johnson was all about team, but Marino was all about Marino.

The owner of the Dolphins made the sentimental decision to keep Marino. He was 35 when Jimmy got there. Wayne Huizenga I think it was? It was a foolish decision. If Jimmy got the go ahead to make a QB change.. things might have been different. But Marino was a shell of himself at that point.

Aven8

Reaction score

If that’s the case both of them could be dead by than…..