Jimmy Johnson would take Cutler over Romo

Dhragon

Deadly Claws of Death
Reaction score
theogt;2273183 said:
Just said it. And he was dead serious.

I can see why. I'm sure he is not alone on that. Myself, I'd take Romo, but Cutler looks very good.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
I wanted Cutler before Romo came off the bench to dazzle us but at this point I wouldn't trade Boy wonder:starspin

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If everything is considered equal, Cutler is younger, so he seemingly has more productive years than Romo.

noletime95

Reaction score
Cutler is a stud. He might be right. I'm just tired of hearing that Rothlesburger and Eli are better because they have a ring. I'd take Romo over either.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2273212 said:
If everything is considered equal, Cutler is younger, so he seemingly has more productive years than Romo.
That's really the only thing he has going for him. How many times has he taken his team on his back and won the game for them, though? I've lost count how many times Romo's done it.

Really, these two aren't even in the same echelon. Cutler's good. But he's got a LONG way to go before he can be compared to Romo.

STSINAZ

Reaction score
cutler has always looked good to me...great arm...dont know if I would take him over romo though

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
theogt;2273216 said:
That's really the only thing he has going for him. How many times has he taken his team on his back and won the game for them, though? I've lost count how many times Romo's done it.

Really, these two aren't even in the same echelon. Cutler's good. But he's got a LONG way to go before he can be compared to Romo.

Cutler also was guilty of nearly fumbling the game away against San Diego.

That was a "Romo play" right there. But there is one thing Cutler appears to be able to do that Romo never really has had an opportunity to do and that is take average talent and elevate it.

He had nothing at Vanderbilt and was the reason they contended. He has no running game support in Denver right now and is playing well. Romo has never really shined without players like Barber, Witten and Owens supporting him. Not his fault, just a reality.

If I were starting a team from scratch and had to pick between the two, I probably would take Cutler for that reason. He's proven he can carry a team. Cutler might not have the volume of comebacks, but he has done it. See the Buffalo game from last year for example. He also has not had many weapons around him either.

Undisputed

Reaction score
I'm not so sure he will have the same opinion in say 6 weeks. Cutler and Rodgers are getting a ton of early season hype.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
I'm sure he meant long-term. No one would take Cutler over Romo in 2008.

CarlAllDay

Reaction score
cutler has to have back to back good seasons like romo and at least win that division to make that argument we'll see at the end of the season

Undisputed

Reaction score
bbgun;2273227 said:

I don't doubt that he is. But still, I think his opinion even in that regard, could change as the season progresses. I don't think he'd have picked Cutler over Romo before the first two games this season.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Alexander;2273224 said:
Cutler also was guilty of nearly fumbling the game away against San Diego.

That was a "Romo play" right there. But there is one thing Cutler appears to be able to do that Romo never really has had an opportunity to do and that is take average talent and elevate it.

He had nothing at Vanderbilt and was the reason they contended. He has no running game support in Denver right now and is playing well. Romo has never really shined without players like Barber, Witten and Owens supporting him. Not his fault, just a reality.

If I were starting a team from scratch and had to pick between the two, I probably would take Cutler for that reason. He's proven he can carry a team. Cutler might not have the volume of comebacks, but he has done it. See the Buffalo game from last year for example. He also has not had many weapons around him either.
TO, the O-line, and Witten didn't look quite like they do now with Bledsoe under center. It's all pure speculation when you get into this "he's only good because of the talent around him" talk.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Cutlers the truth but hes not playing at the level Romo is.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
bbgun;2273227 said:
He's only 3 years younger. I'd take 6 years of "elite" over 9 years of "really good."

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
theogt;2273232 said:
TO, the O-line, and Witten didn't look quite like they do now with Bledsoe under center. It's all pure speculation when you get into this "he's only good because of the talent around him" talk.

Exactly.

You can't discredit what Romo brings to this offense.

Even when "all the talent around him" doesn't bring it Romo still finds a way to make plays.

His playmaking ability is phenominal.